kettlebell - Strength training best weight?

Options
porffor
porffor Posts: 1,212 Member
I'm thinking these would work as a transition from my 3kg dumbbells with a view to strength training so low rep numbers.

What weight should I aim for at minimum? I'm not rich but hope to add two. I'm 5'3" / 40 and although I lifted in gyms years ago and in circuit training I haven't done any weights for about 15 years now. I'm pretty strong I'd say generally as have a horse so riding and lugging horse feed etc etc comes with the passion.

Recommendations appreciated - I'm in the UK.

Replies

• polegirl23
    polegirl23 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Hi there! I'm also from the UK and have recently started using kettlebells. I bought the Kelly Holmes adjustable ketlebell from Tesco Direct (reduced to £11.99 I think!) and am using the Kettlecise For Women DVD which I bought from Amazon.

I'm really enjoying the kettlebell workouts so far and hope to buy the Kettleworx programme once I have some spare money!

The adjustable kettlebell is working great for now, however I do think that when I progress to a heavier one (mine only goes up to 7kg) I will buy a metal one instead of a vinyl one as mine is quite 'chunky' for some of the moves on my dvd!
  • Dani_Scott
    Options
    Hello

The lowest weight my gym has is 8kg so that's where I started, although to be honest a lighter one might have been a bit better until the technique was in order. Now that I do it regularly I use a 12kg for a half hour class and will probably move to 16kg pretty soon.

I would suggest getting some gloves though as I have constant blisters on my hands (I keep forgetting to buy gloves)

Have fun! xx
  • BellydanceBliss
    Options
    i started with a 10lb because thats what they recommended 8-10 lb and i am fairly strong. I use the amy bento 3in 1 dvd and love it
  • caroline_g
    caroline_g Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I've got that Kelly Holmes one, it's £12.50 in Tesco at the moment. I'd definitely recommend it, it's good for working up the weights though I'm now up to 7kg and having to consider buying more.

Or Aldi sell 2.5kg, 5kg and 7.5kg iron cast ones if you prefer that kind.
  • mousepaws22
    mousepaws22 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I had my first Kettlebell training session with my trainer on Sunday- I used a 10kg bell and it was really hard! But I managed it- she does like to push me with the weights I use.
  • EddieG77
    EddieG77 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    That is fantastic that you use KBs!! I am a HUGE fan of KB workouts along with sandbag training. There is a KB group here on MFP if you weren't aware. I would certainly take the advice of others by getting down the techniques first and then progress to heavier KBs. There are also a ton of videos out there and what you can also do is look for KBs at local markets. We have websites here in the US for people selling old equipment, clothes, computers, etc called Craigslist. I got my KBs from there along with wholesale re-sellers and not through a sporting store!!!

Best of luck to you!!!
  • Jo2926
    Jo2926 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I use an 8kg kettlebell most of the time - its what my trainer started me on. I found I can lift much heavier with the kettlebell than with dumbbells, because the swinging actions use momentum.

I would start here and then if its too heavy add a lighter one, just right add a heavier one! (Although it will mean two trips to the shop!)
  • porffor
    Options
    Thanks all :smile: really appreciate the advice, Will have a look and see what I can find. Had a look on Argos but they've sold out on their offers of good weights.
    I did look at the kelly holmes when I got my dumbbells but wasn't sure about the size of it. Also they have a 7.5kg one but it's £20 each so think that's a bit steep (well I'm trying to find cheaper) lol.

Will look out for the group on here too - there are some great vids on the bodybulider.com site and you tube too so was hoping to go from there. I won't be joining a gym till Sept - I'm in Uni and hoping to join the Uni gym then as will be on campus more than I am now... so can justify the cost! :wink: to hubby!
  • 2012x
    2012x Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I started with 5kg i got on offer from argos.
    Now got 13.6kg one.
  • FlyByJuly
    FlyByJuly Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I've recently discovered kettlebell and LOVE it!!! I bought the Kettleworx system, with the 5lb bell, and couldn't be happier! I've been doing alternating workouts for almost a month now, and I think I'm almost ready to move up to a 10lb bell, as the workouts are getting easier for me. Just a note...if you look into the Kettleworx system, don't buy from their website! You can get the set much cheaper elsewhere. I got mine at Target for $20 less than what they sell for on the Kettleworx site and Amazon. With the kit, you get 6 workout DVDs and a nutritional CD. Plus, on the side of the box, there is a form you can send in to get one more FREE DVD. You get to pick from 4 DVDs that they list.
  • porffor
    Options
    Thanks both - will have a look at amazon for DVDs. I have been holding both my 3kg dumbbells together for some exercises so may look at more thank 5kg.
  • porffor
    Options
    I've got that Kelly Holmes one, it's £12.50 in Tesco at the moment. I'd definitely recommend it, it's good for working up the weights though I'm now up to 7kg and having to consider buying more.

Or Aldi sell 2.5kg, 5kg and 7.5kg iron cast ones if you prefer that kind.

Had a look for these today - £30 still in our local tesco. :ohwell: Will keep an eye out on it reducing though.