Eating staright after exercise?

Options
Hey guys,

If you eat dinner straight after doing exercise (15-30 mins after) does this slow down your weight loss at all?

Is it unhealthy for your body?

Replies

• Kendrawinn
    Options
    Yes, I eat right after. Somethig with protein so it can restore my muscle. You are supposed to.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    no, what matters is your total cals for the day, timing has virtually nothing to do with weight loss.
  • mikeyrp
    mikeyrp Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    Opposite - the general consensus is that you have a half hour window in which to get in your 'recovery' carbs and protein.which will mean that you recover from the exercise faster and stronger.

(It wont impact weight loss either way)
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Yes, I eat right after. Somethig with protein so it can restore my muscle. You are supposed to.

Her questions was is it unhealthy and you answered yes, but your explanation would have me think you meant no.
  • 10acity
    10acity Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    It's actually a *good* idea! Like so much other research on weight loss, the information available on this is not 100% conclusive, but many studies have shown that your body may metabolize food better within an hour or so of a workout. And it's possible for a workout to cause your blood sugar to drop if you don't eat something [nutritious] within an hour, so it's really not a bad idea at all!

Whether or not it actually *helps* weight loss is as contentious as all the other "conventional wisdom" around here, but it certainly isn't going to hurt. I say go at it!
  • Kendrawinn
    Options

Her questions was is it unhealthy and you answered yes, but your explanation would have me think you meant no.

yea, your right..... I ment NO girl... its not unhealthy:tongue:
  • coatek
    coatek Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    It is recommended to eat around 30 mins after exercise because your body has an increased metabolic rate during the recovery period, therefore your digestion will be quicker. Bear in mind the cals will still be there so don't overdo it.
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    There is a school of thought that says wait an hour, but that's only for morning exercise in a fasted state.
    It's for fat burning.
    Does it work?

Who knows; it's just one of those bodybuilding methods.

I always eat before and right after.
    My focus is on the deficit numbers and macro's - not meal timing.
  • Whaleluvr
    Whaleluvr Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Hey guys,

If you eat dinner straight after doing exercise (15-30 mins after) does this slow down your weight loss at all?

I ate BEFORE, once..............will never do that again...........yucky feeling while exercising with food bouncing up and down in your belly...............so I ALWAYS eat AFTER exercising!!!!!
  • tinamatteson
    tinamatteson Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I am always ravenous after exercising!
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Hey guys,

I ate BEFORE, once..............will never do that again...........yucky feeling while exercising with food bouncing up and down in your belly...............so I ALWAYS eat AFTER exercising!!!!!

Hint: eat less. Most days, I work out first thing in the morning, not eating before just doesn't work for me, so I eat something small, for example an apple and peanut butter, or a single serving of cereal as soon as I wake up. By the time I get out of the house and am at the gym, it's been 30-45 min, and I'm good to go.
  • hyperkate
    hyperkate Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    YOu need to eat something light straight after to replenish glucose, electrolytes, carbs and protein hun. You can eat dinner as long as you are replacing all lost nutrients. Eating carbs and protein will help repair muscles etc. It can actually help weight loss as the body isn't craving anything if you give it what it needs :-)
  • Whaleluvr
    Whaleluvr Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I usually eat right before Lunch.............. I DO eat breakfast..........my quote meant, I wouldn't exercise RIGHT IMMEDIATELY AFTER eating.......... Sorry if I confused anybody..............
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Doesn't matter as it pertains to weightloss.

Additionally, you also don't need to eat immediately afterwards unless you are performing multiple glycogen depleting events and thus have a need to rapidly replenish. Assuming you aren't going any sort of lengthy fasting, your "next" meal will likely take care of your replenishment needs.
  • Charlieh16
    Charlieh16 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Thank you all :bigsmile:

Muchly appriciated :)
  • 3shirts
    3shirts Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Exercise gives your metabolism a kick up the *kitten* so eating in the hour after is recommended. A lot of athletes call it the golden hour when you should replenish glycogen, protein, carbs and fluids.
  • joynaus
    joynaus Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    You are supposed to wait atleast 45 minutes, ideal wait time is 60 minutes, after exercise before eating. It gives your body time to burn off any excess fat.
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    Hey guys,

No idea to be honest. I usually come off the treadmill and stick my dinner in the oven so that it is cooking whilst I have my shower etc. I usually eat 30 minutes after exercise, but only because of the reason I have just given.

Why, where did you hear that?
  • ImaSongbird
    ImaSongbird Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    If you are hungry after your workout, your body is asking for food, so eat! If you are not hungry after exercise, don't eat.
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    I am always ravenous after exercising!

lol, swimming always used to get me, I used to be absolutely ravenous after swimming. In fact, I felt so hungry, it used to make me feel sick.