AuntMeredith is an unhappy camper...

Options
Hi, everyone!

It would really be better if I could start out on a positive note, but I am really just not feeling like it. I need to vent.

First, I HATE EXERCISING JUST TO EXERCISE BECAUSE SOMEONE ELSE THINKS I AM "SUPPOSED" TO EXERCISE. I can't scream that loudly enough! Exercise is just NOT FUN. I have never in my life liked it and I have no reason to think it is going to be any more fun now than it has ever been.

My doc thinks I should lose weight in order to lower my blood pressure (avg 130 / 83) BUT she will not prescribe phentermine to help me do it. She just talks to me as if I am a child who has never heard of a calorie or that one has to burn them to keep them from turning to fat. So, here I am being told to lose weight to lower my blood pressure but I can't have the one thing that helps me lose weight because I have high blood pressure. IS THERE ANY WONDER THAT I HATE BEING TOLD TO EXERCISE BY SOMEONE WHO JUST PUTS ME IN A CATCH-22?!!!

AND, I have been since 12 June keeping to the 1000 calorie diet (90g protein, 120 g carb, 20 g fat) that is the only way I can lose weight, BUT I HAVE GAINED a pound instead of losing any in that 12 days. I have worked up to 15 minutes on the Health Rider every other day, and have started walking on the other days. I know more exercise will help (I am aiming for 20 min on HR 4 times per week and walking 3 miles per day on the other days), but to have NEGATIVE RESULTS FOR NEARLY TWO WEEKS is very frustrating.

So, you can see, I think, why I am an unhappy camper.

Replies

• Daisy_May
    Daisy_May Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I think first thing you have to do is change your mindset and unfortunatly no one can help you with that, it's something that has to come from within. You will never lose weight if it's not something your are completly excited about!
  • jam0525
    jam0525 Posts: 1,681 Member
    Options
    Hang in there!

Not sure what kind of a diet your on, but do a search on the DASH diet. It is geared towards lowering your blood pressure. So, is the TLC diet, but I couldn't find a good link on that one as I did with the DASH.

Good luck!
  • KimberlyKurtz
    Options
    It happens to all of us. I've gain weight the frist month then started to lose. Why so little calories maybe your not eating enough calories and your body in stravation mode. You'll get there. Make excercise fun!
  • naugustyniak
    naugustyniak Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Hi, everyone!

It would really be better if I could start out on a positive note, but I am really just not feeling like it. I need to vent.

First, I HATE EXERCISING JUST TO EXERCISE BECAUSE SOMEONE ELSE THINKS I AM "SUPPOSED" TO EXERCISE. I can't scream that loudly enough! Exercise is just NOT FUN. I have never in my life liked it and I have no reason to think it is going to be any more fun now than it has ever been.

My doc thinks I should lose weight in order to lower my blood pressure (avg 130 / 83) BUT she will not prescribe phentermine to help me do it. She just talks to me as if I am a child who has never heard of a calorie or that one has to burn them to keep them from turning to fat. So, here I am being told to lose weight to lower my blood pressure but I can't have the one thing that helps me lose weight because I have high blood pressure. IS THERE ANY WONDER THAT I HATE BEING TOLD TO EXERCISE BY SOMEONE WHO JUST PUTS ME IN A CATCH-22?!!!

AND, I have been since 12 June keeping to the 1000 calorie diet (90g protein, 120 g carb, 20 g fat) that is the only way I can lose weight, BUT I HAVE GAINED a pound instead of losing any in that 12 days. I have worked up to 15 minutes on the Health Rider every other day, and have started walking on the other days. I know more exercise will help (I am aiming for 20 min on HR 4 times per week and walking 3 miles per day on the other days), but to have NEGATIVE RESULTS FOR NEARLY TWO WEEKS is very frustrating.

So, you can see, I think, why I am an unhappy camper.

Okay, so here is one thought from my end. You said you only eat 1000 calories a day and exercise some. Sounds to me like you are not eating enough. If you consistently go below 1200 calories a day, your body goes into starvation mode and will not let loose of the weight for fear you are starving for whatever reason. Try upping your calories to at least 1200 a day.

If you hate exercising, could you maybe start out with walking? I mean that is exercise but it can sometimes be fun, even if you don't do it too strenously at first (you will need to up it later but maybe it will be easier if you start out slow).

As far as the Phentermine, you won't get too much support here for doing that. Most of us believe in doing this through lifestyle changes instead of medication. (not criticizing, just stating the facts).

It takes time. It took time to put the weight on and it will take time to take it off.
  • HealthyKt78
    HealthyKt78 Posts: 439
    Options
    You may be gaining weight cause you definitely aren't eating enough. You should be eating at least 1200 calories a day and that's with no exercise. The average body needs 1200 calories a day to function correctly.
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    Who put you on 1000 calorie a day diet? That seems somewhat low compared to what I have seen on this site.

Exercise does not have to be a workout at a gym. It can be walking, swimming or dancing. There are tons of people on here who swear by exercise DVDs but I couldn't see myself doing that. ( my teenagers would laugh themselves silly) Different things work for different people. You just need to find what works for you and do it. anything that gets your body moving and your heart rate up will work.

I don't understand why you would prefer to take a pill to lose weight when doing it the natural way is so much better for your body. On this site, I have learned how to eat correctly. I have learned what I need to do to be healthy in my life and I have "met" some wonderfully inspiring people.

I have to agree with Daisy May and say start with the right mindset. You will be amazed at what you can achieve.
  • hiddensecant
    hiddensecant Posts: 2,446 Member
    Options
    At 1000 caloires, you're running on fumes. Gaining weight on such a large deficit is a sure sign that your metabolism is in need of some healing.

Bump up to 1200 calories and start eating your exercise calories. And be sure you're dividing up your foods so that you're eating something every 2-3 hours. If you don't fire up that metabolism, it's going to be a constant battle.
  • kandyjo
    kandyjo Posts: 4,648 Member
    Options
    WOW...I feel really bad for you....

I LOVE exercising.... I am so glad that I have started doing it!!!

You sound really REBELIOUS, just to put it to you point blank... The most unhealthy thing to do would be to put you on medication if you are capable of losing weight. And I'm sure you are capable or your doctor would have said otherwise. Maybe you should think of your family as a motivator.... Would you want to die of a heartattack or stroke and leave them? I would hope that you aren't that selfish!!

Main thing.... sounds like you are not getting enough calories....YOu have to feed the fire if you want it to burn.... Then do at least 30 min of cardio 5X/week MINIMUM!! THERE IT IS..... if you really want to make a change!!
    It took my body about two weeks to adjust to the new lifestyle. I only lost a couple of pounds here and there.... This is my 3rd week and I can already tell that my metabolism is finally catching up and kicking in....ITs the middle of the week and I have already lost 2 lbs....where as two weeks ago, that was my total for the week...
    ANyway....take the advice of the successful people here on MFP...that is what I did and now I am really seeing a difference!!
  • rheston
    rheston Posts: 638
    Options
    First of all you're not the only person in the world who despises working out. When we were younger our activities and metabolism helped to keep most of us looking good but as age and a more sedentary lifestyle entered our older years the weight didn't come off as easy. In fact, food took the place of exercise and complicated the picture.

You're probably happy with where you're at but I sense a tone in your note that indicates that you are struggling with some new realities -- my perception not yours -- and that may be the fact that if you don't make some changes as your doctor indicates you are slowly killing yourself.

I will add this, my wife was eating healthy and working out for three years and seeing no changes in her physical self. She was frustrated to say the least. She finally found a doctor who did some tests and discovered that her cholesterol was through the roof. The doctor put her on a statin and within a month the weight started coming off rapidly. I'm not an advocate of drugs to help one lose weight but I am saying that you need to be aware of your total physical condition as you get started in this effort.

You're going to have to find your own balance in both your personal and medical life. Work with your doctor and try to get into a two way dialogue of how you feel about all of this. You probably should be looking at activities that you don't feel is exercise but that you enjoy doing. Working in the garden, mowing the lawn, cleaning the house, and so on. But your biggest battle is going to be your mental attitude and struggle with food and getting a handle on your eating habits.

Many of us have had this same struggle when we started and we had the same arguments. Some of us are still here plugging away trying to reach our goals while others have decided to quit and I suppose go back to what was the least resistance in their life -- their old lifestyle.

You sound like a survivor so I expect you will whip this in the backside and be around for a long time.

Hang in there!
  • Xannthippe
    Xannthippe Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    First, I congratulate you on being a survivor...that's such a blessing!

Secondly, sounds like most of the posts have already covered the basics on what you may try to help you out.

The obvious thing to me from a medical point is the dangers of Phentermine, specifically with diagnosed hypertension...basically it's contraindicated. These meds can run the risk of elevating even higher an already high blood pressure. That doc is probably making a good call, and the true sign of a good doctor is one that is brave enough (and smart enough) to tell a patient "no".

Sorry you're having a rough time...hang in there and good luck!
  • ilike2moveit
    ilike2moveit Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    I don't think you are eating enough calories. Try walking with a friend-it doesn't feel like exercise but you're moving and burning. I don't love exercising either - I do it because it's healthy-
    Best wishes
  • sarahmchardy
    Options
    first of all, that 1000 calorie diet is no good. you need at least 1200 calories per day or else your metabolism will slow and make it difficult to loose weight. secondly, iv been like you, hateing excersize my whole life... i just found that u have to find something you enjoy doing, weather it be bike rideing and dancing (like me) or standard excersize. and, as a bonus, after working out for a couple weeks, you will start to get a really good feeling during and after your "workout" and you will want 2 excersize just to get that high.
  • abbie3857
    abbie3857 Posts: 12
    Options

It sounds to me like your doctor is being responsible. Phentermine is not a miracle pill. It’s to help reduce weight in patients when used short-term and combined with exercise, diet, and behavioral modification. It is not the ONLY way you can lose weight. Yes it will help you but 1st you have to help yourself…
  • AuntMeredith
    Options
    OK, guys, I really appreciate the support! But, to answer some of the concerns:

It was my DOCTOR who told me to eat no more than 1000 calories per day.

From a lifetime of knowing my body very well (and my genetics), I know that I am just NOT ever going to be a sylph. It ain't in the genes. I have become quite comfortable with myself wearing a size 18. I've not been gaining weight for years, just maintaining. I can wear the same clothes I wore 7 or 8 years ago. Except for my doctor's disapproval, I would not be trying to lose weight at this time.

8 months ago had a thorough physical. My cholesterol was 216 at that time (everything else was fine). I have been on Simvastatin for 7 months and cholesterol is now 147. My weight is the same. The doc who did that physical was not alarmed by my blood pressure (same then as it is now). It's my new doc (6 months ago I moved from one state to another) who is all bent out of shape.

Before I started rigorously recording intake on MyFitnessPal on 12 June, I was probably eating about an average of 1500 calories per day (as it happens, my BMR is 1574), and maintaining.

I only rarely eat processed foods, and have a natural preference for sashimi over almost anything else when eating out (when with friends who can't stand sushi, I have chicken caesar salad with the dressing on the side). I have salad for lunch every day (romaine with light caesar dressing). Summer time is my favorite time of year, because of all the fresh fruit available. In winter I use frozen (no sugar added). Breakfast is 1 cup yogurt, 1/2 cup berries, 1 scoop Optimal Nutrition egg white protein powder, 2 ice cubes, blended.

The only "lifestyle change" I really need to make is to start doing something I HATE: Exercise. It reminds me of P.E. when I was in school, which I hated.

Somebody said just "make exercise fun". My point is that IT IS NOT FUN and there is no "making" it fun.
  • AuntMeredith
    Options
    The point is that the phentermine (the only time I was ever allowed to have it in the past) was the thing that got me STARTED.

I maintained on my own after the weight started coming off.

I did not take it over the long term.
  • AuntMeredith
    Options
    You guys are just not getting it.

I DO NOT LIKE TO WALK JUST TO WALK, if it means taking time from things I DO like to do, which of course it does, because to walk enough to make a difference in burning calories means an hour I can't spend reading my scriptures or another good book.

I know that exercise does not have to be in a gym. That is why I bought the Health Rider, so I can do it in my own bedroom while looking out the window at the birds. I have made special tapes of music I like that has a fast enough beat to keep me "riding" at an appropriate pace. I have done everything I can to "make the exercise fun" BUT IT IS NOT AND THERE IS NO CHANGING THAT because it takes time from things I do like to do like play with my parrot, or sleep, or paint, or crochet, or read, or genealogy, or .....
  • stratdl
    stratdl Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Hi AuntMeredith-

Just a silly question, but I was wondering if perhaps you're sleeping okay. As in, do you perhaps have sleep apnea? From what I understand, sleep apnea can cause high blood pressure, too.

I can COMPLETELY understand your aversion to exercise--especially since you mentioned PE. I absolutely HATED PE when I was in school. To me, team sports really sucked! People on teams in school PE can be so mean when you're not the most coordinated individual in the world (which would completely describe me).

At the beginning of this year I nearly had to be dragged, kicking and screaming to the gym by my hubby. I really hated the thought of exercising (especially since I had an exercise metabolic rate test done and it showed that my body was really efficient at burning calories--as in, my body doesn't burn a whole lot while working out). And, due to a fitness program at the gym, I developed Achilles tendonitis (which hurt like heck!). I was tired of the stupid machines, the stupid people, and the idea of getting sweaty.

That being said, it's amazing what a difference a half a year can do. I am now going nearly every day and for the most part really liking it. What changed? I decided to just walk around the track. I couldn't get on the treadmills, because it hurt my Achilles tendon. Shoot, nearly everything EXCEPT walking on the track hurt my Achilles tendon!

I ended up really falling in love with walking. Now I walk a lot and I'm with the group on here that posts under the "beginners walking challenge". I hope to be able to help other people stay motivated with a simple (and cheap!) exercise that nearly everyone can do.

I really feel for you and your aversion to exercising and I'll agree with the person who said something to the effect that it's hard to do something that you REALLY don't want to do. All I can say is perhaps you can just start out walking and listening to music or an audiobook on headphones. Heck, walk around the block talking to someone on a cell phone. Double Heck, be like the lady I see in the gym who has headphones on and is actually READING a book as she walks the track. Do something to occupy your mind as you walk and perhaps you won't equate it with exercise. You know what? I once saw a woman walking on the track crocheting or knitting!! I kid you not!! I'm not sure how much intensity their workouts had, but at LEAST they were moving and maybe it's starting them on to something more intense.

So, perhaps start with walking. Then tell your doc that you're walking as your exercise. If she wants you to run a marathon or something, you can tell her that it's best for you if you start small.

I hope that I come across positive and helpful here--I don't want you to think that we're all exercise Nazis on this page, because very few of us are! :wink:

Cheers! :drinker:

P.S. How about getting a version of your scriptures on tape/CD/digital?
  • MOMOFTWO29
    MOMOFTWO29 Posts: 8,276 Member
    Options
    Hello and welcome to MFP, the best website ever. You will love this site, if you don't already. I love it here. This site is so supportive, helpful, motivational, easy to use, and everyone here is so nice and friendly. I just wanted to wish you a lot of success on your weight loss journey. You can do this!!!!!! :smile: :flowerforyou:
  • lawkat
    lawkat Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    First of all, you shouldn't get so defensive. People are trying to help you and make suggestions. Change is not easy for people and rather scary for some. Maybe you should take things one step at a time. Modify your eating so you get enough calories during the day. Then work on exercise. There is no need to rush change since it doesn't happen overnight.

We understand you don't like to exercise, however, maybe if you don't think of it as exercise, but as getting out and doing something different, it will become something you like. If you choose to walk, you could get books on tape and listen to your scriptures that way. You also said that you got Health Rider so you could watch the birds from your window. If you decide to walk, you can look at the birds and other wildlife out in the open instead of just out of your window. You can still do all the things you love and still exercise. You just need to change some things around. Also maybe you shouldn't call it exercise but call it an activity you are doing. Sometimes a simple change of word can create a whole new mindset.

Finally, taking a pill really won't help. It could be what has messed up your metabolism and preventing you from losing weight. In addition, taking it and with elevated BP, could elevate it even more. Your doctor is only looking out for you and wants to see you be healthy.

Just be patient and you will begin to lose weight and also find that walking or other kinds of activity that you can gradually incorporate into your life.
  • pickadilly2009
    pickadilly2009 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    So don't exercise. Put your Parrot on your shoulder, put some awsome music on and dance in a silly crazy fast all over the room dance! Do it for 10 min. every day. Now you have moved your body, burned calories, played with your parrot and dare I say it....EXERCISED! It does not need to be like PE class. Read your scriptures while you walk, buy a Bible on cd and listen to it while you walk. Again you are moving your body AND doing something that you like. Try looking up some scripture on how you should be treating your body, that may bring you some motivation too! While you are cooking, do leg lifts, while you are crocheting, do leg lifts. All you have to do to burn calories is MOVE! No one said you have to stop doing things you love. It sounds to me as if maybe you are just angry. You are only the victim if you let yourself be the victim.

What prompted you to go to the new doctor? Were you sick or did you go to get the diet meds?