Why are HRM so expensive?!

Options
I really want to buy a heart rate monitor so I will know exactly how many calories I am burning when I work out but dangit they are expensive for what they are in my opinion.

Does anyone know of any better priced HRMs that show calories burned? Also, do all HRMs use the chest strap thing?

Replies

• escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    I would recomend the polar ones, I have one and all you need is the base model that just tracks calories, nothing more. The other bells and whistles are not really needed if you track everything on this site. I think I paid $120 for the watch(strap and transmitter) Totally worth the price.
  • sandy2006
    sandy2006 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I got my Polar ft4 at Target for 89.00. I love it and dont workout without it. Its priceless to me
  • mandi9041
    mandi9041 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I use the Polar FT4. It comes with a chest strap, and the price has gone down quite a bit since I bought it. It looks like it's currently on Amazon for around $65.

http://www.amazon.com/Polar-Womens-Heart-Monitor-Bronze/dp/B001U0OFD2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1329315958&sr=8-1
  • shurleec
    shurleec Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I vote polar too! I have an F7 and love it!
  • barbiedollgirl
    barbiedollgirl Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Try looking on Ebay! I was looking for one also and they have some they are very cheap. Not sure how good they are but they are on there.
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    We paid around $80 for my Ft7.. and its been invaluable
  • erxkeel
    erxkeel Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    No more than a really durable watch IMO.
  • annameier8706
    annameier8706 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    They do make HRMs without chest straps, but I WOULD NOT recommend getting one. They are inaccurate and frustrating (speaking from experience). Honestly I would save until you can afford a more expensive one. It will be well worth the money.
  • Kevww1982
    Options
    I got mine through Costco for $55. It does everything its great.
  • junyr
    junyr Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    You can get HRM's that don't have the chest strap but if I recall correctly they are NOT the continous monitor type. The ones I've seen will read at the point you want to see, but not a continous reading, these are basically pulse checkers as opposed to a true HRM.

HRM's use the chest straps to detect the electrical signals produced by your heart when when it beats. It takes the measurement and sends it to the "watch" part to monitor and give you the feedback you want.

I continue to feel that having this kind of technoligy for immiediate biofeedback is pretty amazing that pretty anyone can have it. 100 bucks give or take isn't unreasonable.

Whatever one you might decide on do a bit of research and see what kind of feedback or reviews say. They aren't all created equal.
  • nitepagan
    nitepagan Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Get a Polar FT4 at bodytronics.com use the discount coupon POPO. I paid $58.79, free shipping. If you are serious about training get the FT7 or better model..
  • TobyTimmyNala
    TobyTimmyNala Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Get a Polar FT4 at bodytronics.com use the discount coupon POPO. I paid $58.79, free shipping. If you are serious about training get the FT7 or better model..

Thanks!! I just ordered the FT4F model. I had been looking at it on Amazon but it was $75. For less than $60 I'll take it!!
  • gemiwing
    gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    I got my Polar ft4 at Target for 89.00. I love it and dont workout without it. Its priceless to me

Ditto- it's my best workout buddy. I won't workout without it.
  • salsera_barbie
    salsera_barbie Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I don't think they are that expense. You can get a Polar for under $100 bucks. You can get cheaper one, but I would go with a Polar or Garmin(more expensive).

All Polar and Garmin have chest straps that what makes them more accurate and the industry leaders.
  • dlyeates
    dlyeates Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    I have the Polar Ft7 and I don't work out without it. You don't even notice the strap!!! Last time I checked it was on Amazon.com for around $77 and that includes shipping. It is definitely a worthwhile expense!!!
  • kmfolkins
    Options
    bump
  • All4Tris
    All4Tris Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I got mine from overstock.com... It was like $40. Timex and it comes with a chest strap. It seems pretty accurate too!
  • lynnjunior
    Options
    Same here - got mine threw bodytronics also - LOVE my Polar FT4!! :flowerforyou:
  • fittraier
    Options
    My first heartrate monitor from years (15+) ago was like close to $200. they have come down in price, and you can get them to do so much more than in the past!!!
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Try looking on Ebay! I was looking for one also and they have some they are very cheap. Not sure how good they are but they are on there.
    Yes! Search the boards for HRM/heart rate monitor and read the posts for info on everyone's recommendations and favorites, then look them up on Amazon and read the reviews. Then once you've figured out what you want, look on eBay for new items - I got my New Balance N4 for $26, another friend got one for $29. Brand new, in the box, works perfectly - and they retail for about $70.00.