Overtraining

Options
Does anyone here have any experience with overtraining/undernourishment? I'm not trying to lose anymore weight, pretty happy with maintaining, but I feel "skinny fat". My weight tells me that I'm on the low end of a healthy BMI, and my pants are a small size, but I feel as though I'm getting more flabby as the days go on. My stomach, my legs, and my arms seem to be getting more jiggly. I typically do cardio exercise 6 days a week--probably about 40 minutes a day. I either run about 3.5 to 4 miles or I do aerobics and such. I really don't like weight training so I haven't done it that much--although I know I should. My hair has been falling out unusually fast for quite some time now--I've tried supplements of B12 and adding more protein, etc. I'm tired all the time but can't sleep--I seem to wake up early and get really restless. I also am extremely irritable and have a lot of mood swings. I feel bad if I don't do cardio 6 days a week and feel like I'll get fatter because I can't eat as much or something. But I have the hardest time motivating myself to do exercise sometimes--I just feel so sluggish and tired and really just dread going to do it. However, I feel really unsettled if I don't force myself to do it.

I'm a 5'5" female, approx 118 lbs (havent been on an accurate scale in awhile), and when I'm doing that amount of cardio, I'd say I average about 1,650 calories a day. On rest days, I try to stay at around 1,300. I know it's low for maintaining but it's been keeping me at that weight..I haven't tried upping calories.

any advice on this? Do you think this is overtraining? Should I take one more day off cardio and really focus on weight/muscle training? Thanks to anyone who reads all this an answers.

**EDIT: I still want to stay in great cardio shape--I have plans to run a 15 K race in about 2 months! I just need to know what the right balance is

Replies

• mrturano
    Options
    You need to start lifting some weight, cardio alone will not build too much muscle, especially low impact cardio.
  • Steenibambini
    Steenibambini Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Get your thyroid checked. It's possible you have hyperthyroidism.
  • ImaSongbird
    ImaSongbird Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    If all you do is cardio, it's definitely time to switch it up. Cardio is for building aerobic endurance, but it will not shape your body. To do that, you need to do resistance exercise.

There are so many fantastic programs out there (many of which are free) to get you started.

Try googling Naomi Rules, TheAbsExpert or Craig Ballantyne
    Try the hundred pushups challenge, try P90X, TRX or kettlebell workouts

Find something that is fun for you.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Does anyone here have any experience with overtraining/undernourishment? I'm not trying to lose anymore weight, pretty happy with maintaining, but I feel "skinny fat". My weight tells me that I'm on the low end of a healthy BMI, and my pants are a small size, but I feel as though I'm getting more flabby as the days go on. My stomach, my legs, and my arms seem to be getting more jiggly. I typically do cardio exercise 6 days a week--probably about 40 minutes a day. I either run about 3.5 to 4 miles or I do aerobics and such. I really don't like weight training so I haven't done it that much--although I know I should. My hair has been falling out unusually fast for quite some time now--I've tried supplements of B12 and adding more protein, etc. I'm tired all the time but can't sleep--I seem to wake up early and get really restless. I also am extremely irritable and have a lot of mood swings. I feel bad if I don't do cardio 6 days a week and feel like I'll get fatter because I can't eat as much or something. But I have the hardest time motivating myself to do exercise sometimes--I just feel so sluggish and tired and really just dread going to do it. However, I feel really unsettled if I don't force myself to do it.

I'm a 5'5" female, approx 118 lbs (havent been on an accurate scale in awhile), and when I'm doing that amount of cardio, I'd say I average about 1,650 calories a day. On rest days, I try to stay at around 1,300. I know it's low for maintaining but it's been keeping me at that weight..I haven't tried upping calories.

any advice on this? Do you think this is overtraining? Should I take one more day off cardio and really focus on weight/muscle training? Thanks to anyone who reads all this an answers.

I would not say you are over training but I would def. say you are doing the wrong training for your goals. And are probably not eating enough for what you are doing.

If you want to firm up, I would suggest greatly reducing your cardio and pick up some heavy weights. Doing as much cardio as you are in a caloric deficit, a large % of your weight loss would have come from lean muscle.

With your current weight, if you want to lose weight your goal should be set up to lose no more than 0.5lbs/week and you should eat back all of the calories you burn from exercise.
  • kolakross
    Options
    Wieght lifting is the only way to build that kind of muscle and buring fat.
    But I also think that you should try to eat more, at least better since you say that you feel slugish. You should never do that. Finding the right kind of diet that fits you can take some time, but try lean meats and good fats to get started.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    I really don't like weight training so I haven't done it that much.

^ Here's the big contributor to skinny-fat.

I know it's low for maintaining but it's been keeping me at that weight..I haven't tried upping calories.

Try upping calories.
    Should I take one more day off cardio and really focus on weight/muscle training? Thanks to anyone who reads all this an answers.

I would consider taking some time off entirely and increase cals a bit and if you gain a little during this period, don't stress it. I'd then return after about a week off and drop the cardio down to 3 - 4 days and start a heavy lifting program 3-4 days/week.
  • petreebird
    petreebird Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Bump...any particular weight regimen recommended?
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    oh wow. Honey......you are at a healthy weight but obviously not a healthy body. You have the textbook signs of undernourish/overexercising.

You also shot your metabolism to hell because maintaining at 1300 calories before exercise is not a way to live.

I know that you say you do not like doing strenght training.....but it is the only way to help building back your metabolism.

You have to start feeding your body....like right now. You will gain weight.....but you have to convince your body that you will not be starving it anymore and it will take time.

Go buy the book "the new rules of lifting for women" , read it!!!!

Start upping your calories to what should be your maintenance ( I am guessing 1600-1900 calories a day before exercise)

I know it is scary when you worked so hard to lose the weight but it must be done.
  • walkwithme1
    walkwithme1 Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    I think you should talk to your doctor. Get some lab work done. You really should talk to a professional and tell them exactly what you posted here. Good luck.
  • tallnsexy
    tallnsexy Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    you could be malnourished too. your hair falling out and being tired your body may feel it's starving and eating away at your muscle mass. If I were you I would go to the doctor. Better to be safe then sorry. I'm a nurse in ICU and have seen malnourishment take a turn for the worse in a life threating way. Congratulations on your weight lose, but be safe about it. Good luck girl
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Bump...any particular weight regimen recommended?

StrongLifts 5x5 or
    New Rules of Lifting for Women (book)
  • honu18
    honu18 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I know I definitely need to start lifting--but yeah, I'd love some suggestions of what kind of weight lifting to start with?
  • 5em9
    5em9 Posts: 9
    Options

**EDIT: I still want to stay in great cardio shape--I have plans to run a 15 K race in about 2 months! I just need to know what the right balance is

When was the last time you saw your doctor? I would get a checkup.
  • lwoods34
    lwoods34 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I wouldnt necessarily say that you are overtraining. You would have to be working out multiple times per day for an extended period of time every day in order to be overtraining. I would say that you should start to incorporate some strength training into your routine...that will help get you the definition that it seems you are looking for. You can easily add strength training into your routine but doing circuit training that way you are getting in BOTH cardio AND strength training all within those 40 minutes. You can even try some of the DVDs that are out there (Jillian Michaels, Bob Harper) that focus on the circuit/interval training concept.

Also depending on how many calories you are burning during your workouts, you might not be eating enough food to fuel your body. That might be the reason why you are experiencing mood swings and restlessness. I dont know if your journal is public but make sure you are drinking plenty of water, and getting adequate amounts of carbs (for energy) and protein (for muscle building AND repair). But it really sounds to be me like you arent eating enough food to fuel your body and that is why you are experiencing these symptoms. I have experienced some of those same symptoms but it was because I was overtraining. I was working out several times a day, and not fueling my body correctly. I am a Personal trainer and fitness instructor so I do workout multiple times per day BUT I have been sure to keep my body fueled and I eat over 2,000 calories per day.

Hope that helps. I really hope you start to feel better.
  • Ezwoldo
    Ezwoldo Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    sounds to me like your on the verge of burn out try taking a week off no running no logging nothing, your body needs to recover from time to time, It took me a while to work out that I can only function to my best over a 8 week cycle and that is now how I train. When I train I give it my all for that time and have a week off I don't do nothing let my body recover from the stress I have put it under, I feel able to carry on again after that and stay fresher for longer.
  • honu18
    honu18 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

When was the last time you saw your doctor? I would get a checkup.
    [/quote]

I actually had a physical less than a month ago. She said I was fine. Although at the time, I didn't even think of to mention the hair loss. I didn't get bloodwork done either..but I have plans to go soon and talk about this.
  • Justjoshin
    Justjoshin Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Good advice so far.

Eat more..

and
    1291351871_9931.jpg
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    Check erickirb's suggestions. A lot of women on here rave about NROLFW (I haven't done or read it myself) and I'm a huge fan of 5x5 (also it's free and if you have an iOS device there's a free app to track your workouts)
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    I know I definitely need to start lifting--but yeah, I'd love some suggestions of what kind of weight lifting to start with? Low weight, high reps?

Low weight high reps will be almost useless. Moderate to heavy weights with moderate to low reps.

See the recommendations by erickirb above.
  • Soapstone
    Soapstone Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Heavy lifting has personally been the best advice I've seen here, and it's helping me tremendously. If you're not into that, I would suggest Pilates, and/or yoga. Both of these will increase your strength and tone you up. Mix it up with the cardio.