Any roller skaters.

Options

Replies

• anonymouswheels96
    anonymouswheels96 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I'm a fresh meat at roller derby, it's awesome! It's quad skating not inline though, I used to have inline skates but I think they put more stress on your joints and ankles than quads. Skating burns lots of calories especially when you go fast, around 500 an hour, I usually do two hours a week.
  • JJIGLESIAS
    Options
    I love my quads! I go at least once a week with my daughter. We stay for a 2 1/2 hour session but i only log one hour because the calories burned just seem way to high.
  • eellis2000
    eellis2000 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I used to go skating 1-2/week every week. Then after the kids came along I'd take them, but I haven't skated just for fun in a long time. I have been thinking about going back to it. I love quads. I did get to go ice skating once in DC last year when my daughter graduated from college though.
  • ojell
    ojell Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    OMG I LOOOOVE skating! Where I live now it's a bit of a drive to get to a rink AND the rinks are just Eh! Ok I guess. I LOVED the one back home. It was in great condition and it was HUGE! LOVE LOVE LOVED it! I used to go every single open session that had available, and even all nighters...Of course I was a teenager then. haha Now you drive an hour, skate 2 hours around a little itty bitty rink with bumpy floors in the dark and you're done. :( It's just not the same, but it's still fun. Especially, if you go with fun people.
  • OneSchrutebuck
    Options
    Well I am a roller derby girl, so quads all the way! ;)
    ...and my heart rate monitor clocks me at around 500 an hour for calories burned.

Hey! Is the 500 for straight skating or at a derby practice? I've been trying to estimate how much I burn at a "normal" derby practice. Thanks!

That's just for straight skating during open skate and while avoiding kamikaze kids...lol. I haven't used my fitbit at derby practice yet, b/c it's expensive and I didn't want to break it!!!... But I'm sure the calorie burn is pretty high!!!

Cool, thank you!! haha I wouldn't risk wearing it during practice either! But just knowing the 500 is helpful. Thank you! :)
  • SFalconStorm
    SFalconStorm Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I love skating. Did it as a kid, but hadn't for years until December. From what I understand, it burns the same calories as an equivalent amount of running. At my size, that's a LOT and low impact to boot ( providing I don't fall).
  • dport7
    dport7 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I did a three hour fitness skate. Skated hard all session, the DJ was hitting the music right on. Good mix of dance, 60s rock, with some jam thrown in. No need for the I-pod today. It was great, life was good for three hours.
    I have to hit the monday knight live organ dance music.
  • IrateBeth
    IrateBeth Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Another Roller Derby skater here (NH Roller Derby).
    I love my quads.

I was wondering, during a standard endurance drill (about 30 minutes a drill, top speed sprints with skills) what do you suppose the caloric burn really is? What about skills drill?
    During a bout? Jam to jam?
    I have been altering the skating listings available (possibly undercutting myself a little).
  • Danny_Boy13
    Danny_Boy13 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Options
    I am on an inline speed skating team in Austin, Texas. I have been involved in sports most of my life and by far this is the hardest sport I have ever undertaken.
  • zibbity
    zibbity Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    ME! Roller derby ref here! Quad speed skates all the way! Just skating regular is a great workout, but we always run drills which kill!
  • leannems
    leannems Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    I love to skate. Quads and Blades. I go to watch roller derby all the time and would love to join, but I'm a bit nervous (about both the time commitment - it's a real sport, with practices several days a week - and about what my job might say, although I'm at a new job since October, and they likely wouldn't mind). Super jealous of all you derby gals - it's gotta be a great workout, and I bet the 500 is accurate.
  • ejoy319
    ejoy319 Posts: 104
    Options
    Quads... I love roller skating... grew up in the rink every Saturday. Most of the rinks have closed :( and it's not as much fun skating outside. There is something about the lights and the music and the slick floor. I did find a small rink that is not too far and took my kids we had a blast!! All the 80's styles are coming back in fashion maybe Rollerskating will too!!
  • zenchild
    zenchild Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I do inline skating during lunch. It burns twice the calories of walking for the same amount of time and I need to make that time count. I can't run because my knees/ankles/shins start burning after a few steps. My thighs start to burn after a while but that's a muscle burn. I go Monday-Thursday for 40 minutes (unless it's raining). There's a greenway a mile from my office that is pretty good. The boardwalk is bumpy but it's not too bad. At least it's not bad as long as I don't find a nail with my skate. In October the boardwalk was damp and had a lot of leaves. One of those little piles of leaves hid a nail sticking up about half an inch. I found it with my left skate. I ended up going down right on my rear, hard enough to break my tailbone. No skating for 2 months, doctor's orders. Between that and winter weather, I was out 3 months. I'm finally back to going almost 5 miles in 40 minutes. That leaves me enough time on either side to get to and from the greenway and in and out of my skates.
  • spicy618
    spicy618 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Options
    I just went rollerblading this morning. :bigsmile:

90 minutes = with HRM = 1100 (12 miles).

Winds allowing, I'll go a few times a week. I love rollerblading most of all. :flowerforyou:
  • zibbity
    zibbity Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Another Roller Derby skater here (NH Roller Derby).
    I love my quads.

I was wondering, during a standard endurance drill (about 30 minutes a drill, top speed sprints with skills) what do you suppose the caloric burn really is? What about skills drill?
    During a bout? Jam to jam?
    I have been altering the skating listings available (possibly undercutting myself a little).

There really is no telling. I guess it depends on the drills you skate. I would imagine there are more calories being burned at practice than during a game or even scrimmage. It would also depend on if you're jamming or in a pack...or if you spend most of the jam in the box. I dunno! So many factors!!!
  • jathensmommy
    jathensmommy Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Rollergirl here!!!! Grew up in the skating rink, even worked as the DJ for a couple of years...My rink burned down, so we are now stuck with a rink that I feel I circle 2x compared to the one I grew up in. My 5 yr old daughter loves it too!!! I plan to get a FitBit and try it out :)
  • dport7
    dport7 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Tried out the Polar FT7 HRM Wednesday morning. Three hour fitness skate. Skated intermediate for the whole session.

Duration 2:58:26
    Calorie burn,1180
    Average HR,103
    Max HR,150,
    Fat Burn, 2:00:27
    Fitness, 57:45

A lot of the time I was jawin with the skating friends, or it could have been a lot higher.
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    i play roller hockey/inline and i love it. roller skating rules! 534 calories for approximately 37 minutes of 'work-out' time.

all you skaters, feel free to friend me.
  • kymlandia
    Options
    I like to do footwork in the middle"jam skating' haven't measured that yet but just doing shuffle around the outside for 2 & half hours the heart rate monitor was 720 cals for a 5'7 145 lbs I need to measure the middle stuff it is pretty intense
  • elpiper
    elpiper Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I love my quads! I go at least once a week with my daughter. We stay for a 2 1/2 hour session but i only log one hour because the calories burned just seem way to high.

This! I skate two hours at a time for practices, but I only log 45 minutes in order to get a more accurate/not overestimated caloric count.