Maybe you can help me with this weirdness....

Options
I've got a special kinda weirdness going on, and I need your thoughts:

Since Jan 26, I have not lost any weight. Not half a pound, nada. zippo, nil.

But....I have lost about 10.5 inches in that same time period.

How the heck is this even possible? How can a person lose that many inches, and not have anything reflect on the scale??????
BTW, its not like I'm anywhere near my goal weight - if that matters.

ok, give it to me straight....what's happening here?

Replies

• Urbanlamb
    Options
    Muscle baby...you is getting lean muscle mass.
    Psst...that's good! :smile:
  • b0t23
    b0t23 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    wow 10 inches and you are complaining???? this is even more of a sign that the number on your scale really does not mean very much.

You are gaining muscle, burning body fat, getting strong.

Don't worry about the number on the scale when you are getting in that kind of shape.

Good Job!
  • tonihayden
    Options
    That is weird but u are obviously getting smaller!! I have only lost 4 pounds in about 6 weeks. Ur clothes are getting loose right?
  • Jenncoc86
    Jenncoc86 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Muscle , you are growing strong which is better than weight loss, focus on the inches not the scale!!!! WAY TO GO!!!!!
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    Muscle girl! When people do straight plyometrics, they can stay literally the exact same weight but be in totally different and amazing shape. I bet your body fat percentage is down too :) The number on the scale doesn't really matter as long as you're seeing some kind of change. Good job!
  • PinkEarthMama
    PinkEarthMama Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    10 inches?

Can I be you? There's a dress I'd like to wear!
  • JujiBean
    JujiBean Posts: 187
    Options
    It's is weird. I've had it happen. Doesn't make any sense at all, but it does happen. No complaints though, right? It's how you look and feel and how your clothes fit that is more important than that meaningless number on the scale.
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    If you mean the scale hasn't moved in three weeks and you've lost 10 inches in those three weeks, I don't think it's all muscle, probably some water weight is masking the weight loss.
  • madameduffay
    madameduffay Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    The same thing happens to me. I'm losing inches everyone expcept my belly and I'm not losing any weight. The muscle gain accounts for some, but personally, I think my main issue is not have a consistently good diet. My theory is the weight training accounts for the inches lost and the inconsistent diet accounts for the weight not lost.

Anyway, that's what I think my problem is (or rather was as I think I'm doing much better this week).
  • BetterWithAge
    Options
    FABulous... You gave more muscles :)
  • Jill_newimprovedversion
    Options
    the scale is just ONE gauge- and the *least* reliable. Inches lost are the *most*.
    Scales can fluctuate more than me with PMS
  • poustotah
    poustotah Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    It's really hard, especially as a woman to quit looking at that scale BUT, wait for it, QUIT LOOKING AT THAT SCALE!!! Obviously, its not a true reflection of your overall health and fitness. You're losing inches - THAT'S awesome!!!
  • redefiningmyself
    redefiningmyself Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Just to be clear, I'm not complaining. I'm just confused. I have gone down a clothing size, which I am especially happy about.
    Plus I've really bumped up my exercise, and am feeling the benefits of that too.

Thanks for all the thoughts on what could be happening. I guess time will tell if the scale will move or not. Think there's any chance of a big drop at some point on the scale?
  • maryjay51
    Options
    last year in three months time i lost 8% body fat and went from a 16 to a 14. everyone kept telling me it looked like i lost weight. i didnt lose not one 1lb. i was,however, doing strength training during that time so i just chalked it up to that i lost body fat and gained muscle
  • yuckidah
    yuckidah Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    It amuses me that people say 'Don't worry about the scale' 'Weight means nothing, just go by your measurements' 'Throw your scale away and just focus on inches' etc etc.........This entire site is weight oriented! You cannot have 'success' on MFP without losing weight. And, especially for females, we WANT to lose WEIGHT. My pants may be getting a bit looser but the it's only the scale that makes me happy (or unhappy as the case is lately). There's no glossing over the fact that the scale DOES matter (unfortunately).
  • viclee1
    viclee1 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    the other thing I'm wondering about is how accurately you're measurements are? Are you sure you're getting the same place every time?
  • viclee1
    Options
    the other thing I'm wondering about is how accurately you're measurements are? Are you sure you're getting the same place every time?
  • LibbyBelanger
    LibbyBelanger Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I've got a special kinda weirdness going on, and I need your thoughts:

Since Jan 26, I have not lost any weight. Not half a pound, nada. zippo, nil.

But....I have lost about 10.5 inches in that same time period.

How the heck is this even possible? How can a person lose that many inches, and not have anything reflect on the scale??????
    BTW, its not like I'm anywhere near my goal weight - if that matters.

ok, give it to me straight....what's happening here?
    My husband going thru the same thing....But he has gone from a 42 pant to a 38!
  • viclee1
    Options
  • rebecca0101
    Options
    Can someone help me? I'm kind of the same but I haven't lost any inches or any weight but I can wear four pairs of jeans that I could NOT two weeks ago. I just don't understand.