Question about forgiveness

Options
Following a conversation I had today I just wanted other people's thoughts. Do you believe that anything done by a parent is forgiveable because they're a parent (they brought you into this world so anything is forgiveable)? Just curious

Replies

• TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options
    Anything?? Hell no.
  • EmCarroll1990
    EmCarroll1990 Posts: 2,849 Member
    Options
    Anything?? Hell no.

This.
  • Sl1ghtly
    Sl1ghtly Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Anything?? Hell no.

Anything could mean anything.

Double hell no.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Of course not, that's freaking ridiculous.
  • thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    Nope. :)

Parents are just people too. They're not infalliable nor do they get a pass for any harm they may cause simply for having had sex and popping you out 9 months later.
  • kb455
    kb455 Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    Of course not. There are some effed up parents out there. Watch the news... some things, especially done to children, are just unforgivable no matter what.
  • th2much
    th2much Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Nope!
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    Of course not, especially because they are a parent. They chose to have you, but you cannot choose your parents. A parent child relationship is not an equal-two way street.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    More leeway than a random stranger? Yes, of course.

Carte Blanche? No, there are some things people have done to their own children that is completely unforgivable.
  • gsheasley
    gsheasley Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    I think you can forgive anyone for anything.. not because they're your parents but just because.
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    Not even remotely.
  • katkins3
    katkins3 Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    I pretty much avoid the words anything, all, always etc. There are just pretty few things that fit into these categories.
    Forgive anything or everything or all? Not me.
  • chachita7
    chachita7 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    We forgive not for the benefit of the other person but for the benefit of breaking the hold, what ever they have done, has on us. Most people who do us wrong just continue with their lives without even thinking twice about what it was they did. Holding a grudge only affects you - you have the choice to forgive and move forward and not allow them to hurt you any longer.

Forgiveness, however, is not the same as forgetting - but it sure as hell helps a lot with dealing with the feelings when the incident pops into our minds. Sometimes you must forgive the person over and over again until you find the peace you seek by giving such forgiveness.

It is imperative, we also remind ourselves we are not at fault for anything anyone does to us.

But to answer your question - All is forgivable and personally I believe in forgiveness - I refuse to fall victim on a continues basis of anyone who has done me wrong ...
  • Anything?? Hell no.
  • porcelain_doll
    porcelain_doll Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    We forgive not for the benefit of the other person but for the benefit of breaking the hold, what ever they have done, has on us. Most people who do us wrong just continue with their lives without even thinking twice about what it was they did. Holding a grudge only affects you - you have the choice to forgive and move forward and not allow them to hurt you any longer.

Forgiveness, however, is not the same as forgetting - but it sure as hell helps a lot with dealing with the feelings when the incident pops into our minds. Sometimes you must forgive the person over and over again until you find the peace you seek by giving such forgiveness.

It is imperative, we also remind ourselves we are not at fault for anything anyone does to us.

But to answer your question - All is forgivable and personally I believe in forgiveness - I refuse to fall victim on a continues basis of anyone who has done me wrong ...

Agreed. I struggle with doing this, but I agree it is the way to go to achieve peace. Forgiving someone isn't saying it's ok what they did, whether it is a parent or anyone else.
  • TheRoadDog
    Options
    More leeway than a random stranger? Yes, of course.

I feel just the opposite. As an involved parent, you should be held to a higher standard than a stranger.
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Um. NO!
  • TheRoadDog
    Options

Sounds good in theory. What about the guy that steals your grandparents' life saving? The pedophile that rapes your toddler? Hitler? The sociopath that kills your spouse and robs them for enough money to buy crack? The pimp that exploits your teenaged daughter and addicts her to drugs?

Do you understand the concept of "anything"? If you can fiorgive anything, you are much more highly evolved than I.
  • Tubby2Toned
    Tubby2Toned Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Godwin's Law has struck. :smile:
  • TheRoadDog
    Options
    Godwin's Law has struck. :smile:

How long have you been waiting to use that reference?

You're welcome.