What to eat a Mexican restaurant?

Options

Replies

• splashangel
    splashangel Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    A glass of water and the napkin.
    No, no, really, They have quacomole salad and you could add grilled chicken to that. Or maybe salsa over grilled chicken. And a salad? Good luck on choosing but DO have a nice time.
  • Mcctin65
    Mcctin65 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    I can not by pass the chips and salsa so I tend to avoid Mexican in general. BUT if I'm going I just get what I want and enjoy it. Work it off later by pumping up your exercise regime and eating extremely healthy for extra long!
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    The key is discipline.
    When I go, I try to limit myself to around 2000 calories.
    I eat what I desire but stay away from heavy drinks.

Just water with a lemon.
  • Heaven71
    Heaven71 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    Shrimp or chicken fajitas with no tortillas or sour cream. I usually wont eat the rice but will eat half og the beans.
  • JenGranzow
    JenGranzow Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Oh, lucky you! I love Rosa Mexicano. Which one?

Luckily, their menus are not so much your traditional stuff in a tortilla with beans and rice on the side and their are lots of excellent seafood options. You will definitely be able to dine there, and dine quite well, without crema, cheese, or fried anything. I generally like to check out the menus ahead of time when I am going to be dining out, and decide what I want to eat and what fits within my limits for the day. If you have room in your daily allotment and have the willpower to not attack it and eat it all yourself, their tableside guac is really yummy.
  • nikkip143
    nikkip143 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I love Mexican food!!! I always get Chicken Fajitas-- no rice, no beans just the chicken and veggies and the pico and some guacamole ( I dip like 8 chips in the guac.) Where I go they give you 3 tortillas... I always make ONE tortilla with pico and chicken and veggies then toss the other 2 to the side! It helps with the carbs and less calories but you don't feel deprived!! =) Hope this helps!
  • cassavaca
    cassavaca Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Guacamole is good, but be very careful on how much you consume. They do have the healthy fats, but are still high in fat and calories!!!
  • HeaderAutumn
    HeaderAutumn Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Tonight, I am going to Rosa Mexicano, a Mexican restaurant. In preparation I have eaten light this morning and will this afternoon since I do not know the nutrition facts of the restaurant. I am thinking the healthiest option would be to get fajitas and not eat the tortillas.

Does anyone else have any suggestions?

Thank you!

From what I have learned is to order the fajitas and eat the chicken and veggies first. If it is an option, order the black beans with no cheese added. Have the guac. sourcream, OR cheese. Pick only one. Then if you wish, have a tortilla or the rice.
  • maru84
    maru84 Posts: 128
    Options
    I get a taco salad minus the sour cream and light cheese (maybe minus the cheese, depending on my calories for the day), extra veggies, no taco salad shell. I pile on lots of salsa and it's pretty good and filling! Fajitas are a good choice too, but beware, sometimes they fry the veggies/meat and it's pretty greasy.
  • gentlebreeze2
    gentlebreeze2 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    Whenever I go to a Mexican restaurant, I only eat half of my order and take the other half home for another meal. The beauty of that, you're spreading the sodium over a couple of meals, PLUS you get to enjoy the food twice.
  • Jadesfattorment
    Options
    Chicken Tortilla Soup! It's only 350-450 calories and it's good and inexpensive, the salads are good too bad they can run $10 +!
  • cassavaca
    cassavaca Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Avocado - per 100 grams

Calories (kcal) 160
    Protein 2.00 grams
    Carbs 8.53 grams
    Fiber 6.7 grams
    Sugar 0.66 grams

Fat, Total 14.66 grams
    Saturated Fatty Acids 2.126 grams
    Monounsaturated Fatty Acids 9.799 grams
    Polyunsaturated Fatty Acids 1.816 grams

Calcium 12 milligrams
    Iron 0.55 milligrams
    Potassium 485 milligrams
    Sodium 7 milligrams
    Vitamin C 10.0 milligrams
  • Hollyjd1019
    Options
    Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm, Mexican food. I love it. But it is scary for me. Maybe later down the road. I say grilled chicken and/ or salad wo dressing or sour cream. And nothing fried including chips, beans, etc. You can have salsa on whatever you decide too.

If I'm going out I also try to check the menu ahead of time and decide what to have to try to stay within my allowance. I've also ate less throughout the day to help not going over too.

Good luck! :)
  • dpk1955
    dpk1955 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Have you checked online to see if they have a website. Many places now have menus online with nutrition info posted. I would stick with chicken. Piece of advice I learned while attending Weight Watchers was not to deprive yourself of food during the day because then you tend to overeat when you finally do eat. Enjoy your time out!
  • greekygirl
    greekygirl Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I don't know of that restaurant but I was checking out applebees nutrition info the other day and the chicken fajitas there are something around 1400 calories. Maybe that's with all the fixings but I was surprised at how high the calorie content was in them. Just thought I'd throw that out there. Whatever you decide, enjoy it! You can always make up for it tomorrow. :)
  • AmandaBroun
    Options
    Fajitas no tortillas is what I do, too. That, or the mexican place I go to has a chicken soup that is broth-based and super tasty.
  • swthrtsmrf
    Options
    I have to admit that if I know I will be having Mexican food, I tend to eat lower calorie amounts throughout the day. If I do it on a whim and it is not planned, then I know my calories are blown for the day and I workout a little longer.
    A lot of people do free days, but I cannot do that.
  • byrnette
    byrnette Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Whatever you do, make sure your one the side beans are the vegetarian variety b/c the other one with chorizo is basically waaay off plan
  • vbontheriver
    vbontheriver Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I had the same issue last weekend, I ordered a grilled chicken salad minus the bowl just ask for it on a plate. I skipped the margarita and had a sangria. you can ask them to not bring the chips and salsa but i know that is the best part, count out a serving and stop at that.
  • splashangel
    splashangel Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    Well..... Did you go? What did you eat?