Just started tracking calories

Options
I'm new to this site. Mid 30's married guy desk job. Just one in the crowd I guess. But like everyone else losing weight is highly personal. My wife and i are considering having children. Just the thought of it makes me reconsider my choices. I have always been very active and health conscious. But since I have gotten older I realize that if you focus your life on you diet and health sometimes other priorities suffer as a result. So I have slacked off a bit. I am trying to find a balance. I'm about 20 lbs over weight. Don't want to starve myself. I just want to be more aware of how many calories I am consuming. I just started playing ice hockey 3 days a week and going to the gym one day. That's easy because for me it's recreation. But the being hungry and not eating enough calories to sustain my current weight is hard. I guess I'm just looking for some support. Any other guys out there in a similar situation? I would love to hear an " attaboy". :)

Replies

• jojophet
    Options
    Here's your Attaboy for having fitness goals!!!! I'm also in my 30's, have a desk job, and I have a 4yr old and a 11month old. Adjusting to a calorie defecit makes it tough at the start. You may want to check your goal settings. I first started off saying that I wanted to loose 2lbs a week, then after 3 days realized it just wasn't enough and so adjusted it to 1.5 lbs a week which is the sweet spot for me. You can always ramp it up once you get going. The other part for me was adjusting my mindset. Not thinking about eating and not letting myself get bored, which for some reason makes me want to eat. Any who, just my 2 cents....:happy:
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    atta boy!

(honestly, that's my default praise to the guys in my department. was on a sticky note from my boss/mentor at my first job when I won a state award, so now hand them out in his memory.)

second-shift here, so schedule has previously made working out and eating right tough. well, that's not true, entirely. it makes it easier to let that stuff go. to make it an excuse. but I don't want to be that stereotypical middle-aged sports writer. it's easy to let it happen. and I'd already started the process. now I'm working to put that into reverse.

would love you along for the ride and will definitely join you on your journey, too, if you'd like.

unless you are a red wings fan. I already have one on my friends list. and, as an avs fan, I don't think I can handle two.
  • mlrod1914
    Options
    Thanks so much for the encouragement! I mostly watch college hockey ( I work for Boston College). But i am torn between the rangers and the bruins( born in NY live in Mass).
    Would love to have you along for the ride.
    Thanks again for the atta boy!
  • mlrod1914
    Options
    Thanks!! I like the suggestion about possibly starting out a little less aggressive with the weight loss goal. I am at 2 lbs. / week currently. on day two. i'm struggling but doing ok so far. i dont start playing hockey till friday( i play fri, sat and sun) i am worried that it will be too much with the added exercise. I will keep you posted.

Thanks again!
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    yeah, I have mine set at 1.5 per week. that is seeming to work out well, and many days I wind up under my calorie goal for the day, so I'm closer to 2. but then I don't feel bad if I go up to the 1.5 level, ya know?

what do you do at the college? that's awesome. I may wind up pestering you for a hockey T-shirt one of these days. :)