? for ladies that lift

Options
When you started lifting (heavy) did you notice that you had to increase your calories? I've only done a few lifting sessions but this week I'm struggling with feeling weak in my workouts and hungry all the time. I can't imagine that I would notice my body eating up that many calories by itself so fast but not sure what else would be causing this dive in energy? I've been losing for about 75 days and didn't have this problem until I added lifting (or so it seems). I'm only half way to my goal weight although since starting to lift that # matters less as long as I get my goal 'look'! I do C25K 3 days a week on week 3 right now, lift 2 days a week, and try to add in walks with my 8month old in the stroller on my nonrun days when time allows. So no overtraining issues here. I eat approx 1500 cals a day, sometimes more sometimes less. So I went on and one with that but the first sentence is where I'm looking for an answer!
Thanks if you have anything helpful to add.
KSMorck

Replies

• RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    Yes anytime I change my workout, add more weight, add more whatever I am a bit hungier for a few days. I usually just add 100-200 calories to my net and it usually ends up averaging out over the week. Good luck! I LOVE lifting!!
  • ksmorck
    ksmorck Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your reply! I think I've probably been adding that the last few days simply because I've had to to simply get by! And sorry I misspelled on (one). I hate making spelling mistakes!
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    yep - i started at 1500ish +exercise calories, and did ok, but now im at about 1845 (which is my bmr)+ exercise calories.
    i feel sooooo much better! not nearly as tired or grumpy, more alert and my workouts are a lot better too.
  • learning2fly4
    learning2fly4 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    you might want to consider a HRM and wear it when you lift. Until i got one and started using it for more than just Cardio exercises, I realized that i was buring a couple hundred extra calories when I did lift. It will depend on the number of reps/weight used.
  • stenochick0417
    stenochick0417 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I was wondering this exact question -- glad I'm not alone! I started Jamie Eason's Livefit program this week and have been SO HUNGRY -- much more so than when I do cardio. I bumped up my calories to 1650, so I'm hoping that helps. :)
  • ksmorck
    Options
    I have a HRM and I wore it once but wasn't sure how much to believe it as I've heard mixed reviews on accuracy when doing something other than cardio...
  • danielleneumann
    danielleneumann Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I recently purchased a polar ft7 and I was surprised to learn that I was burning 300 calories during 30 minutes of circuit training at the gym. You might be burning more calories than you think. I'd say listen to your body. If you're hungry, eat a bit more. You'll need the strength if you want to build muscle.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    I really did. I had to make some adjustments. I was at 1000 cal deficit but felt hungry like crazy when I started lifting. So I raised it to 500 cal deficit. Wasn't hungry anymore but then I suddenly plateau'd. Then I resolved to eat back exercise calories. Didn't help much. Finally, I decided to build my calorie deficit with my cardio. I eat at 750 calorie deficit combined with at least 250 calories burned in cardio. Except on lifting days, I will eat back most if not all of my deficit. This system seems to be working much better for me. I haven't added weight yet, but I probably will soon. Don't know if I will need to make more adjustments then.
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    Yes. When I started lifting and consuming net 1200 calories, I didn't lose any weight and felt awful. Just recently increased my calories to 1500 and I feel awesome and lost weight last week.
  • ksmorck
    Options
    Thanks, guess I'll find a balance if I keep plugging along!
  • jdavis193
    jdavis193 Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    What do you guys consider lift? What are your routines and how much weight did you start with? I do workouts at home. I have a 100lb barbell with dumbbells looking to switch up routine. I can't lift at gym really. I only have time for cardio at the gym.
  • ksmorck
    Options
    Heavy as I can for at least 8 reps, no more than 12. I'm focusing on upper body at the moment. My lower body has always been my strength. I'm letting my hubby guide the program as he has lifted for years and likes being involved;) I've done bench presses, DB presses, bicep curls w/ DB and BB, tricep presses, lat cable pull downs, front and side lifts for shoulders, flys for chest. I tried rows but my bad shoulder pops everytime and makes me crazy queasy so gonna skip those for now!....I don't remember what else I've done...I like the programs on bodybuilding.com but have let me hubby help me get started for now.
  • Picola1984
    Picola1984 Posts: 1,133
    Options
    Argh edit fail
  • ksmorck
    Options
    Is this net calories? Do you eat your exercise cals back?
  • Picola1984
    Picola1984 Posts: 1,133
    Options
    My net calories work out on average 1000 :)

Some days I go right up to 1680 net, if I haven't worked out

Some days I am 900

But looking back at my weeks I would say an overall of net 1000-1200 as an average
  • ksmorck
    Options
    Thanks! I really think I'm netting enough...I've not been losing more than 2lbs a week usually less than that. Just an adjustment to my system I guess.
  • Inlet
    Inlet Posts: 135
    Options
    Yes... I do increase my calories... I am now up to 1700 or so a day, sometimes more.
    My friends have asked me if I've lost weight. I tell them I'm "compacting" =P
    It's hard to up your calories, but you will need to. When I started lifting without eating more, I wound up feeling sore for a VERY long time... almost a week, and woke up feeling dizzy, sick and ravenous.

I have to add multiple protein shake supplements on the days after I lift really heavy. In fact, if I don't get a protein shake in just a few minutes before heading to bed, I wake up feeling pretty sick.
    I have been advised by several trainers to try and get in one gram of protein per pound of body weight when I'm lifting really heavy... and I have found that protein is so filling that I have to take it in shakes instead of in chicken or yogurt or other typically high protein foods.
    BUT.... after I get 122 grams down, I struggle to eat enough calories...
    It's confusing.

Try shakes.
    As long as I am sore, I will eat a LOT of protein. When the soreness fades, (which is pretty quick if I'm eating protein) I go back to a more equal balance.

Protein will take care of the hunger.... (at least... it did for me!)
  • ksmorck
    Options
    Thanks this was helpful! I was trying Protein Shakes but then ran out and finally just got more this past weekend. I'll keep on with those. I'm also going to try netting a little more than I have been. Wish someone could say eat this, do this and you'll weigh this on this date...haha, wishful thinking I know!
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    yes, MFP had my calories at 1560, New Rules of Lifting said 2100, so I upped to 1860 and I'm doing awesome.
  • ksmorck
    Options
    Were you eating 1560 at maintenance or at a specific deficit? and do you net 1860 or just eat that?