Strength Training for "Obese" people?

Options

Replies

• BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    Don't think of your fat as fat, but a huge tank of fuel, because in reality that is what it is. Your body has so much stored up energy you could do 100/100 cardio/strength. Just make sure you are eating properly and push that body to its limit!

Exactly! why not go 100$% lifting 4 days then cardio 2-3?
    Toning later will suck. Lift now and prevent muscle loss and look a lot better at your goal weight

Does heavy lifting prevent muscle loss even when you're eating at a calorie deficit?
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    Don't think of your fat as fat, but a huge tank of fuel, because in reality that is what it is. Your body has so much stored up energy you could do 100/100 cardio/strength. Just make sure you are eating properly and push that body to its limit!

Exactly! why not go 100$% lifting 4 days then cardio 2-3?
    Toning later will suck. Lift now and prevent muscle loss and look a lot better at your goal weight

Does heavy lifting prevent muscle loss even when you're eating at a calorie deficit?

Yes. In fact there has been a few studies (don't have links on hand) showing that novice trainees were able to lose fat and gain muscle simultaneously. Though this doesn't last forever.
  • teagin2002
    teagin2002 Posts: 1,901 Member
    Options
    I know where you are coming from and have been there myself.

I would suggest a 60/40 plan.
    Exercise 5 days a week 2 days only cardio, 1 day only lifting and 2 days with a combo of both.

1. on the 2 days of cardio make sure to do at least 1.5 hrs straight or you can condense it to 1 hr by adding HIIT.
    - 1.5 hr workout:
    You can switch things up, like 30 min treadmill, 40 min stationary bike, 20 min aerobics with stretching.

- 1 hr workout:
    You can find info on HIIT (high intensity interval training) on the following sites:
    http://www.exrx.net/FatLoss/HIITvsET.html
    http://www.exrx.net/ExInfo/HIIT.html
    I use the stationary bike for my HIIT, it is recommended to do it as a running exercise and on the site it describes how that would work.
    HIIT with stationary bike:
    1. start with a 5 min warm up @ tension 3 through 5 which ever is most comfortable for you.
    2. Increase tension to 20 for 30 sec then go back to the warm up tension for 50 sec to 1 min. Repeat this for at least 10 min and work your way up to 20 min or more if you prefer.
    3. go back to the warm up tension till you have completed a total of 40 min on the bike.
    After the HIIT exercise do 20 min of aerobics and stretching.

2. on the lifting day:
    - start with a 10 min treadmill warm up at speed 4.5 with max incline of 8. Use one of the programs that will change it up for you.
    - lift for 50 to 60 min follow the instructions on this page:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/373801-two-day-full-body-strength-training-routine
    Do not lift lower weights and higher reps anything you can lift for more than 12 reps is too light. You are just wasting you time.

3. on the 2 combo day:
    - start with a 10 min treadmill warm up at speed 4.5 with max incline of 8. Use one of the programs that will change it up for you.
    - then go to the weight machines for about 30 min using the same instructions in the post above.
    - go back to cardio what ever you want to do for 30 min then end it with 20 min aerobic and stretching.

Note for the aerobics and stretching do different variations of squats, lunges, sit ups and leg lifts. You can find these variations by running a google search or on youtube.

I hope this helps :flowerforyou:
  • jamielise2
    jamielise2 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I definitely do the strength training. Building muscle helps burn fat, and it also is relatively compact per pound - meaning a 250 lb person with more muscle looks leaner than a 250 lb person who is mostly fat.
  • morgansmom02
    morgansmom02 Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    Hi.
    If you go to the gym, is there a Bodypump class you can take? I do Bodypump every Sunday as well as cardio every day. I also do Jillian's 30DS as an extra at home. This is what is working for me!
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    I do 25 minutes of lifting and 45 minutes of cardio 2 days a week, and walking at 3.5m/hr for 45 minutes at least 3 days a week (depending on the weather)...i'm obese, dropping lbs like mad, and getting stronger every day.
  • Karmynzahringer
    Karmynzahringer Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I suggest you get two of the Jillian Michael's DVD workouts! Its strength with cardio combo and it's only 25 to 30 minutes! There's 30 Day Shred and Ripped in 30. Get both so you can switch up and don't get bore with the same exercise. But believe me it's really good!

Compared to lifting at the gym the 30DS and such are garbage.

They are a good starting point for someone who doesn't know where to begin or isn't comfortable with the weight room in their gym, like me. I lost 10 inches in 10 days so far on 30 day shred and have toned up quite a bit already. I don't know if it would be as good for a male or not though.
  • CallmeSbo
    CallmeSbo Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Kissybiz
    Kissybiz Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I started with Strength Training my very first day at the gym with a personal trainer... I was 327 lbs at my first weigh in with him. He doesn't allow me to rest between sets, but doesn't really use circuit training either. It's definiately a combination of cardio and strength training, which after two months, I can already see a difference.

I work out with him twice a week and follow his workouts with at least a half hour of extra cardio, and the rest of the time I try to do cardio for an hour on my own, so that I'm working out about 5 to 6 days a week.

I wanna burn fat and build muscle at the same time. I don't know if it's 80/20 or whatever, but it's working so far.
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Options
    30DS and all of those workout videos are circuit training. Is it a form of resistance training? Sure. But it's completely different from heavy lifting for strength.
  • embersfallen
    embersfallen Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    i've been doing a LOT more strength training the past year or so... my scale weight loss is kinda slow, which drives me loco, BUT I DO know I am a lot smaller LOOKING then without the strength training. Most people balk at me when I tell them the actual weight number, and I firmly believe this is because I am leaning out due to weight training. I do weight training both at home and at the gym. I have a set of adjustable free weights, a door gym with adjustable weight pulleys...and then use the machines and free weights at the gym....

There was a girl in Zumba the other day...who is about 50 pounds smaller then me...and we LOOKED more like 10 or maybe 20 pounds apart... I credit that to the weight training!

I started my journey at 337...and am down about 95.....
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Options
    33lzeqb.jpg

a588b7.jpg

11gu1wy.jpg

This is all I have to say.
  • jordgirl
    jordgirl Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    As someone who is studying personal training, I can tell you they are both important and definitely have their place. Strength training is what will boost your RMR because muscle actively burns more calories than fat, but cardio is a faster fat-burner while you're doing it. Switch up your work out, but make sure you do a little of both every for every work out. If you only have 20 minutes, do a 5 minute cardio warm up to get your muscles warm and then do some strength training. If you have an hour, split it! Just be sure to mix up your strength training...don't work the same muscle group 2 days in a row (your muscles need time to repair themselves, since essentially what you are doing with strength training is creating tiny tears in your muscles). Mix up back, chest, abs, biceps, triceps, legs and butt, without repeating a zone for 2 days in a row. Don't neglect cardio, the benefits go beyond losing weight and it's very important! Just split it up and make sure you're doing both on a regular basis.
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    I suggest you get two of the Jillian Michael's DVD workouts! Its strength with cardio combo and it's only 25 to 30 minutes! There's 30 Day Shred and Ripped in 30. Get both so you can switch up and don't get bore with the same exercise. But believe me it's really good!

They are a good starting point for someone who doesn't know where to begin or isn't comfortable with the weight room in their gym, like me. I lost 10 inches in 10 days so far on 30 day shred and have toned up quite a bit already. I don't know if it would be as good for a male or not though.

No, a good starting point is the book Starting Strength Learn how to do the lifts and proper form and hour the gym. Not being comfortable and not knowing where to start is am excuse. The information is incredibly easy to get. You will get better results this way, so why waste time? And men and women do not have to train differently.
  • GorillaNJ
    GorillaNJ Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options

No, a good starting point is the book Starting Strength Learn how to do the lifts and proper form and hour the gym. Not being comfortable and not knowing where to start is am excuse. The information is incredibly easy to get. You will get better results this way, so why waste time? And men and women do not have to train differently.

I used New Rules of Lifting and it really laid it all out for me.
  • dwnlynn
    Options
    bump
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

I used New Rules of Lifting and it really laid it all out for me.
    [/quote]

I use new rules too, I'm not stranger to lifting, but this book was awesome. easy to understand, awesome for beginners...it's the best $6 I ever spent.
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    Thanks Ema, my problem is |I only have a set amount of time at the gym and am struggling to decide which is the most productive split of strength/cardio for my current situation.

In your situation I would concentrate more on cardio than weights and when you do weights don't worry about free weights / body weight exercises if you don't like them. Machine work will be just fine for the time being. I know this will sound like utter heresy to some people.

Lyle McDonald did an excellent series on training obese individuals. I would recommend reading all parts if you want to free your mind but this is probably the most relevant for you:

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/training-the-obese-beginner-part-6.html

Of course as you get lighter you should revise your approach. Good luck. Go smash it.
  • tazrn619
    tazrn619 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    CARDIO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!CARDIO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!BURNBURN BURN BURN BURN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:heart: