Why is the weight not coming off!?

Options
I've been eating healthy and within my 1200 cal goal AND exercising daily AND getting enough sleep- yet i am not losing anything! In fact i gained 1.5 pounds this week!?

I must be doing something very wrong :(

Anyone have any advice??

Replies

• mlv1028
    Options
    Maybe your body has hit a plateau. Try cutting 50 calories a day for seven days, see if that makes a difference, or try making your workouts harder than usual. For example, if you normally run 30 minutes a day, 3 times a week- try making that 4 times a week, or even just adding ten minutes to your normal 3 day runs would help.

What has worked best for me was doing intervals. Running at different speeds throughout my 30 minute runs. I know I haven't been doing any exercising lately, but this isn't my first time trying to lose weight. : ( So I remember what has worked for me in the past. Hope it helps you!
  • Runningirl7284
    Runningirl7284 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Switch up your workout routine! Make sure you are getting enough water and protein!
  • LovelyLibra79
    LovelyLibra79 Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Perhaps you are not eating enough!!!
    Especially if you are exercising. Cutting back will probably make you retain MORE weight.
  • rjmwx81
    rjmwx81 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Are you weighing/measuring what you eat, or just estimating. I thought I was staying within my calorie limit until I bought a food scale and discovered exactly how much I was eating.
  • roadworthy
    Options
    Do you take into thought a womans cycle? I know I don't ever lose and sometimes have gained 5 lbs during the week leading up to it.
  • HJCsDaddy
    HJCsDaddy Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Are you taking any supplements? My trainer has me taking quite a few (fish oil, CLA, Creatine, etc.) and I noticed it has not only help me shed 15 pounds since January 6th, everything I have lost has been fat, as my muscle measurements are increasing.
  • ahinski
    ahinski Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    How much weight have you already lost? If you've already lost more than 10 pounds, your weight loss will start to slow down, and thus, you should adjust your weight loss expectations. In the beginning, (especially if you are very overweight to start), it's normal to lose 2 or more pounds a week, but after a few weeks, that unfortunately is not realistic anymore.

I'll suggest to you what worked for me. If you have lost more than 10 pounds (or close to it), adjust your settings for a weight loss goal of one pound a week (1.5 if you haven't lost close to 10 pounds). You'll be eating more, but I really think eventually you'll start losing again. Always eat the calories you burn through exercise (which means you should always log your exercise).

Change up your workout regimen. Try to alternate between cardiovascular (fat burning) exercise, and strength training (muscle building) exercise. Research High Intensity Interval Training (for the days you do cardio) and muscle confusion strength training (for the other days). Workout 5-6 days a week (always take a rest day, but I sometimes do yoga or light stretching on my rest day). Cardio will get your heart rate up, burn more calories, and speed up your metabolism. Strength training will build muscle and having muscle allows your body to burn more calories throughout the day.

Also, see a doctor and get some blood work done if you haven't recently.

Log your food and exercise consistently every day. This keeps you more accountable.
  • 2012asv
    2012asv Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Are you weighing/measuring what you eat, or just estimating. I thought I was staying within my calorie limit until I bought a food scale and discovered exactly how much I was eating.

Yes, I've been measuring my per portions... but that's not a bad idea at all. Thank you!
  • 2012asv
    Options
    How much weight have you already lost? If you've already lost more than 10 pounds, your weight loss will start to slow down, and thus, you should adjust your weight loss expectations. In the beginning, (especially if you are very overweight to start), it's normal to lose 2 or more pounds a week, but after a few weeks, that unfortunately is not realistic anymore.

I'll suggest to you what worked for me. If you have lost more than 10 pounds (or close to it), adjust your settings for a weight loss goal of one pound a week (1.5 if you haven't lost close to 10 pounds). You'll be eating more, but I really think eventually you'll start losing again. Always eat the calories you burn through exercise (which means you should always log your exercise).

Change up your workout regimen. Try to alternate between cardiovascular (fat burning) exercise, and strength training (muscle building) exercise. Research High Intensity Interval Training (for the days you do cardio) and muscle confusion strength training (for the other days). Workout 5-6 days a week (always take a rest day, but I sometimes do yoga or light stretching on my rest day). Cardio will get your heart rate up, burn more calories, and speed up your metabolism. Strength training will build muscle and having muscle allows your body to burn more calories throughout the day.

Also, see a doctor and get some blood work done if you haven't recently.

Log your food and exercise consistently every day. This keeps you more accountable.

Thank you SO much... I have been doing the same workouts everyday- time for change! Today is the day!
    I have lost a total of maybe 5 pounds all together.

So, if i am aiming at 1200 cals/day and say i exercise and burn 500 calories, should i be replacing that with food?? Or should there be a deficit?
  • 2012asv
    Options
    Are you taking any supplements? My trainer has me taking quite a few (fish oil, CLA, Creatine, etc.) and I noticed it has not only help me shed 15 pounds since January 6th, everything I have lost has been fat, as my muscle measurements are increasing.

No, just daily vitamins... I've heard a lot about supplements but I just worry about unsafe chemicals???
  • 2012asv
    Options
    Do you take into thought a womans cycle? I know I don't ever lose and sometimes have gained 5 lbs during the week leading up to it.

that may very well be the case :| I didnt even think of that... thank you
  • 2012asv
    Options
    Thank you EVERYONE for the responses... i almost cried when i saw them. I was almost feeling like giving up... knowing that i don't really want to.

This journey is so much easier with a support group from others on the road to success- Thank you all.
  • 2012asv
    Options
    Perhaps you are not eating enough!!!
    Especially if you are exercising. Cutting back will probably make you retain MORE weight.

I did that for almost 2 weeks, i thought that being hungry was the name of the game. Boy was i wrong. Now i am eating throughout the day. thank you!
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    Options
    Thank you SO much... I have been doing the same workouts everyday- time for change! Today is the day!
    I have lost a total of maybe 5 pounds all together.

So, if i am aiming at 1200 cals/day and say i exercise and burn 500 calories, should i be replacing that with food?? Or should there be a deficit?

The daily net calorie goal that mfp gives you already has the deficit built in, WITHOUT any exercise, so you should definitely eat at least half (I say that because remember, you're really just estimating what you burned) of those exercise calories back. If you don't your deficit can become too large.