When TOM comes to visit monthly... feeling unmotivated!

Options
Hey ladies!

Well, TOM's here.. and I went to start working out with a DVD and stopped it. I don't wanna do jack!!!

At least I'm following calories well.. But I don't want to work out.

Hmm. I'm wondering if its TOM or do I have a jolt of unmotivation!!!

I need my jolt of motivation back.

Replies

• abnerner
    abnerner Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    I feel ya. but it's extra hard for me to stick to my calories too. Just try the best you can! We can't control everything ;)
  • monbeaucher
    monbeaucher Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I just got my TOM yesterday as well. I feel unmotivated as well, but then I think about how badly I want to lose these inches around my waist. I sucks because I want to do is sit around and eat! Haha:sad:
  • itsuki
    itsuki Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Well if you have cramps, remember that exercise is actually really good for relieving them! Come up with a low-calorie version of whatever it is you crave this time of the month, and make it your reward for getting up and doing that DVD!
  • denise_earheart
    Options
    ahhhhhhhhhhhh must be reason I have had NOOOO energy the last week. I just started today ughhhhh
  • Artemis_Acorn
    Artemis_Acorn Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Don't worry - it will pass and you'll be motivated again.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    It's your period, but I commented on another thread about this earlier today. It really sucks, but having your period is no excuse to skip a workout. 9 times out of 10 you will feel better after it, less cramps, etc. The only reason to not exercise during your period is if your doctor says you have to, if you have cramps that will not allow you to get out of bed, or the blood flow is so intense that you can't stifle it enough to overflow during your workout.
  • briggsy13
    briggsy13 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I just have to push through it and do it anyway. I feel better after I workout. Cramps aren't nearly as bad either.
  • skywa
    skywa Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    I work out anyways. It helps with my horrid mood because i rarely get mine, and when i do i am in pain the whole time. i can't even sleep unless I'm exhausted.

i heard that your metabolism is a tad faster when your on your period though. so i imagine the potential for execrated weight loss is there.

i have lost weight fallowing my TOM before.
  • soaps54
    soaps54 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    TOM visited me earlier this month and normally I would've skipped a few workouts that week but I actually hit the gym and it made me feel so much better afterwards. The lack of motivation definitely hit me on days 1 and 2 but I made myself go. Weigh ins during TOM suck so don't take them to heart. Lots of water weight.
  • lucentabella
    lucentabella Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I totally feel ya on this one. I used to have a rule, no exercise required when TOM is here. Then I had a rule of no exercise on Mondays.....then it occurred to me, my rules aren't helping me to avoid gaining weight. They certainly weren't helping me lose any weight. Fortunately for me, my birth control has eliminated TOM. Keep your eyes on the prize. Remind yourself, excerise helps with energy, water weight, and (for some people) cramps. Good luck!
  • synthetiquecindy
    Options
    It's your period, but I commented on another thread about this earlier today. It really sucks, but having your period is no excuse to skip a workout. 9 times out of 10 you will feel better after it, less cramps, etc. The only reason to not exercise during your period is if your doctor says you have to, if you have cramps that will not allow you to get out of bed, or the blood flow is so intense that you can't stifle it enough to overflow during your workout.

Ditto.

Hate to say it but, suck it up and push through it. I absolutely DETEST working out on my period with the cramps and all of horrid garbage. When I find myself not wanting to do it, I just shut off my brain and do as best as possible. There are people with worse problems than a monthly period that manage to do far more than I for 30-60 mins. Lol.

You have do have control over what decisions you make : choosing not to workout shouldn't be an option.

:D
  • KimmieBrie
    KimmieBrie Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    I just got mine today - AND a giant zit - AND a damn cold sore... but I am running my butt off after work to feel better :)
  • ELIZACAY236
    ELIZACAY236 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I feel you. TOM will be here at the end of the week and I can feel the cravings coming. I hope I can stay strong and not give in to temptation. Maybe some dark chocolate to satisy my sweet tooth?
  • brittanylock09
    brittanylock09 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I've heard if you actually are active and go for a walk or exercise, it will help with cramping and bloating. Just push yourself to get up. exercise in your house without your shoes on and be comfy doing it. wear sweats instead of spandex material. You'll be more comfortable. You could do a short workout video, sit ups, crunches, lunges, run in place, go for a walk, some yoga. Something just to burn some extra calories, but still not be uncomfortable, and it could also make you feel better afterwards :)
  • HerBravado
    HerBravado Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    ToM is here for me, too; just got finished working out.
    But I really,
    really,
    realllllly had to force myself through it.
    I used a DVD, too! Haha. :)
  • thin150
    thin150 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I feel you. I gained 1-2 pounds because I got lazy and ate a lot!
  • brittanylock09
    brittanylock09 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    So yesterday, I went to the movies, and I measured out pieces of candy for me to eat. I realized having tiny pieces of candy and eating all of those (16 junior mints and 45 sugar babies) was more satisfying than even eating a chocolate bar! I think it's the small pieces, I eat it all slower and I feel like I am getting more. maybe do semi sweet choc chips instead of just ONE small piece of dark chocolate. Just measure out the choc chips, put them in a baggy, and munch on them all day. I've been doing it with these cinnamon cheerio bursts too and it's definitely keeping the cravings down!! :D
  • dandelion39
    dandelion39 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Another good reason to workout during TOM--you may burn more calories. I've read this in the past but couldn't find the reference, but I did find this: http://yourhealthista.com/post/117898068/do-women-burn-more-calories-while-on-their-period
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    I force myself to work out harder when its here...can't let it control your life - you're the host, and its just a visitor!
  • EMarvie
    EMarvie Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    once you do the exercise you'll feel so good - but I hear you.. not always the most motivated person when TOM's around..
    you can get through this.. keep loggin and drinking water.