AM or PM?

Options
Is it better to workout in the AM or PM? I heard you burn more fat working out in the AM.

Replies

• Quickster34
    Quickster34 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Its really just a personal preference, there are many articles out there that support training in a "fasted" state (i.e early morning before you eat) because of various ways the body uses fats. with that said you need to decide if you are able to train with the same intensity early in the morning as you would after eating throughout the day. I always lift in the mornings but that is more for scheduling, and cardio in the afternoons. experiment with your routines and keep track

good luck!
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    You will not slim down noticeably quicker by working out at a certain time of day, I don't think there is any concrete evidence backing up that theory. Pick the time of day that works for you, where you know you will follow through.
  • piccolarj
    piccolarj Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    The best time to work out is when you have time for it. I workout 2 mornings and 4 evenings a week. Work out when you can best fit it into your schedule.
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    I've always heard to work out in the morning, but that just does NOT work for me for like a million reasons.

Do what fits your schedule best. For me, I have to get up at 4:30 if I want to work out in the morning and get to work on time. Plus I can't work out as hard first thing in the morning. Yesterday I went in the morning and struggled through 3 miles on the treadmill. In the afternoons, I average about 4-5 miles on a short run day and have plenty of energy to lift weights after. It's all about what works for you. My mom, on the other hand, gets her best workouts in bright and early at 5am.

As long as you're getting the exercise in at some point, you're doing a good job!
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    doesn't matter at all. but if you want to use the workout to burn off stress from your work day -- which has been proven to be effective, certainly -- that hour after work is the best time to do that. that's what I do 95 percent of the time ... though as a second shift worker, that means I'm working out at 1 a.m. or so.
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    As long as you are exercising it doesn't really matter. Do what fits your schedule and do it when you have energy!

I have heard that it is better to workout in the morning...but for me I have been having more luck in the evenings lately. I wake up way too early as it is and I wouldn't be able to wake up at 4:00am just to workout...lol
  • cherigurl
    cherigurl Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Not sure if it really matters what time you work out as long as you are working out. I have heard it gets your metabolism going if you work out in the AM. For me that is the only time I have to my self to work out, I am a single mother of 3 beautiful girls so I wake up at 5 am to get my work out in, it works for me so that is what I stick to, you just ave to find the time that is right for you.
  • SteveHunt113
    SteveHunt113 Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    I like the AM because I believe it helps get my metabolism started ... assuming that is even something that can or needs to be done! :)
  • Still_Fluffy
    Still_Fluffy Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    AM all the way. Your less likely to blow off the workout it its your pattern to workout in the morning. Your nice a rested. A workout makes it easier to skip the morning caffeine fix. Plus breakfast should be your biggest meal of the day which is good if you already worked out. Plus you have to shower anyway why not get sweaty first?
  • SOONERborn80
    Options
    It really doesnt matter but if you do it in the morning you get it out of the way and usually will have more energy.
    You MIGHT be able to burn more fat in the morning because your energy stores might be lower but you can get the same effect at any other time if you lift weights before you do cardio.
  • moniqueb39
    moniqueb39 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    AM
  • firstnamekaren
    firstnamekaren Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I'd heard that working out in the evening is *slightly* better because you're using more energy. But don't quote me on that. The bottom line is what everyone else is saying: any time you work out is the best.
  • tbresina
    tbresina Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    As long as it fits into your lifestyle it doesn't matter. If it doesn't fit into your lifestyle you won't do it as much so thats my logic behind it. I do both, some days I am up at 4am to get one in and I also take classes in the afternoon. They fit into my life so I am free to do them this way. Just enjoy what ever you do at everytime of the day!
  • LCFulmer
    LCFulmer Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    It's truly up to you... I myself workout 4-4:30 am on M & W then in the evening on T & T; on F & Sat I workout mid morning... the point is to get it in and go with what works for you.
  • kimoRUN
    kimoRUN Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I prefer 7-Eleven
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Is it better to workout in the AM or PM? I heard you burn more fat working out in the AM.

I've done both, as well as the middle of the day, at different times throughout my life and I've never noticed a difference. How intense the workout is makes the difference in how much I burn, not what time it is.
  • Okieace
    Options
    I work out after work during the week and in the morning on Saturday. Just a matter of personal preference.
  • imfittted
    imfittted Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I just started waking up at 5 am to go to the YMCA before I have to be at work at 8. I feel awesome knowing I got my workout over with. I never thought I would be able to do that.

A lot of people have posted about not having the energy to workout that early, but assuming you are getting enough sleep, it might help to make sure you eat something before hand. I don't usually eat before but even something small like a handful of nuts or raisins or something might help keep you going.

However, working out is working out and it's best to do whatever works for you!
  • HealthyHappy120
    Options
    I like AM because 1.its out of the way 2. Youre more likely to make excuses later and 3. After I exercise I am less likely to eat bad foods
  • h0t_m0m
    h0t_m0m Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    It really doesnt matter but if you do it in the morning you get it out of the way and usually will have more energy.
    You MIGHT be able to burn more fat in the morning because your energy stores might be lower but you can get the same effect at any other time if you lift weights before you do cardio.

My trainer did tell me the best times to do cardio are first thing in the morning before eating or after weight training as your body will burn more fat than carbs if done at those times. Regardless, cardio burns calories so it is best to fit it into your schedule so that you will stick with it.