Banana & walnut muffins -LOW CALORIE (with pic!)

Options
jezlightyear
jezlightyear Posts: 167 Member
Okay, second recipe for me.. I am mixing my love of photography with my love of food - sorry if it seems a bit pretentious! I just think this food looks amazing (; I did of course make it... :D

ANYWAY!

I originally found this recipe on allrecipes, but I have tweaked it a little to suit my taste! (http://allrecipes.co.uk/recipe/1813/low-fat-banana-walnut-cake.aspx - original recipe if anyone wants it)
So, this is meant to be a 'cake' recipe rather than a muffin recipe but I find it better to have muffins as they're quick to grab and still tasty :D

NOTE: I HAVE HALVED THE ORIGINAL RECIPE, THIS MAKES 7 MUFFINS (in my particular sized cases, do re-calculate the calories depending on your portions (: )

9gbnyg.jpg

- 1 egg
- 75g caster sugar (for my particular muffins as pictured, I used Billington's Natural Golden Caster Sugar!)
- 2 bananas, mashed
- 2 tablespoons apple sauce
- 3 tablespoons milk (I personally used soya milk and they came out perfect)
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 110g plain flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 30g chopped walnuts (again, the recipe says to put them in the mixture, but I prefer to add one to the top of each muffin, less calories without sacrificing the lovely marriage of banana and walnut :D)

So you're going to need your oven at 160 C and either get your muffin cases ready OR if you're making a loaf instead, line the tin with parchment paper and dust with flour.

Beat together the eggs and sugar for a few minutes until 'light and fluffy' as they say.. then add the mashed bananas, apple sauce, milk, oil and vanilla.

In a separate bowl sift the flour, baking powder and bicarbonate of soda before stirring it into the banana mixture. (If you're choosing to mix the walnuts in then fold them in after the flour!)

If adding walnuts at the end, divide out the mixture into the muffin cases and simply plop a walnut on top of each muffin!

Bake for about an hour until the muffins go a lovely golden brown - if you're not sure, shove a cocktail stick into the center of the muffin/loaf and if it comes out clean then you're ready to rock'n'roll.

Hope someone enjoys these as much as me and my colleagues at work do! (:

Replies

• nawazarrio
    nawazarrio Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I can't wait to try these! :D
  • jezlightyear
    Options
    I can't wait to try these! :D

let me know how they go (: (:
  • Tuffjourney
    Options
    These look great!
  • EbbySoo
    EbbySoo Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Bumping because I'm so making these this week!
  • MsRoxyPepper
    MsRoxyPepper Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    *bump* looks tasty
  • glenbarney
    glenbarney Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Jez -

Thank you so much for this recipe, and sharing it with everyone! :-)

Good luck on your goals! :-)

Glen
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    I'm lazy. Can I use self-rising flour and omit the baking powder?
  • Bexx435
    Bexx435 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I am soooo making these! I love banana bread but hate how fattening it can be. Thanks for sharing!
  • Annmarie49
    Options
    hope I manage to stop at 1!!! they look so tasty.....
    may give them a try on a 'spike' day!!!
  • jezlightyear
    Options
    thanks guys! glad you like the recipe :D you should all let me know how tasty they are when you make them!
    and swhitney2 - i'm not sure to be honest, trial and error though! give it a go (:
  • nellyb2011
    nellyb2011 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    OKAY
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    I love banana bread. Never done it with apple sauce so I'm going to try this. Thanks! X
  • chanson104
    Options
    bump
  • suthernbelle
    suthernbelle Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Sounds great!
  • jezlightyear
    Options
    I love banana bread. Never done it with apple sauce so I'm going to try this. Thanks! X

i guess it just adds a little more sweetness to it? i'm not sure really, but they taste good nonetheless :P i just love that it doesn't have butter in the recipe! butter is one thing i'm staying away from :P
  • Angelabec
    Angelabec Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    definite bump!
  • AnitaMcKenna
    AnitaMcKenna Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    These look divine!! :-P

Will be making them with my daughter this weekend, can't wait...... Thank you! :flowerforyou:
  • jezlightyear
    Options
    These look divine!! :-P

Will be making them with my daughter this weekend, can't wait...... Thank you! :flowerforyou:

oh you're more than welcome!! i hope you and your daughter enjoy them, i just had one (was letting them cool) and they really are so tasty!
  • Piperette
    Piperette Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Do you have the stats for these (protein, fat and sodium) please?
  • jezlightyear
    Options
    Do you have the stats for these (protein, fat and sodium) please?

i KNEW there was something i'd missed! sorry!

this is for the entire recipe, so divide by however many you make or if you do a loaf, divide by portion sizes. ^_^

calories - 1107
    carbs - 180
    fat - 31
    protein - 24
    sat fat - 5
    sugar - 9