Question about going over your set calories

Options
Hi Im fairly new to MFP. I am supposed to eat no more than 1200 calories per day. Today for example, I went over 223 calories and its not even dinner time yet!. If I exercise for an hour on a stationary bike and burn 300 calories, I will be able to eat an extra 87 calories?

Replies

• GreekByMarriage
    GreekByMarriage Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Yes... a majority pf people on here eat back their exercise calories if they are on 1200 per day. A female really shouldn't NET under 1200 calories a day.
  • adryvictoria
    Options
    Thanks! Just wanted to make sure Im doing this right :)
  • helcb
    helcb Posts: 13
    Options
    if you put in your goal weight to lose more than a pound a week mfp automatically defaults you to 1200 calories so go with der recommended weightloss target and u will probably be allocated more calories .. 1200 is the v minimum a women is allowed x
  • mallory3411
    mallory3411 Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    What is your age, height and weight? Also what is you goal weight?

1,200 is probably far too low.
  • adryvictoria
    Options
    Im 5'2, age 33 weigh155. i set my goal to 125.
  • PinkEarthMama
    PinkEarthMama Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    Take time to go from normal daily eating to 1200, if that's your decision. Going from 5000 a day ( or some other HIGH amount ) to 1200 will make you REALLLLLLLLLLLLY hungry.
  • adryvictoria
    Options
    if you put in your goal weight to lose more than a pound a week mfp automatically defaults you to 1200 calories so go with der recommended weightloss target and u will probably be allocated more calories .. 1200 is the v minimum a women is allowed x

Where do I go to see what goal MFP recommends for me?
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options

You're pretty petite ... 1200 sounds about right
  • mallory3411
    mallory3411 Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    Go into the settings under "MY HOME" and see what you put your goal to. You don't have a lot to lose at all so it's recommended you set your weekly weight loss goal to 0.5lb per week. Anything higher is far too high for the amount of weight you want to lose.

You should be eating more than 1200 or making different choices to stay under 1200.
  • thatlook
    thatlook Posts: 58 Member
    Options

err not strictly true my goal is 2lbs per week MFP set my daily at 1830 (although i changed it to 1500, i kept eating food i did not need or want to because of it!!!) it depends on the total amount you enter to lose in adryvictoria's case this would be expected!!

11795304.png
  • ahinski
    ahinski Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    If you have your goal set to lose 2 pounds a week, you can eat an extra 500 calories EVERY day that week and still lose one pound that week.

If you have your goal set to lose 1 pound a week, you can eat an extra 250 calories EVERY day that week and still lose a half a pound.

It's safe to say, that going over your calorie goal only ONE day will be more or less inconsequential. In fact, I always give myself a "spike" day once a week, in which I eat an extra 200-500 calories.

I'd work out a little more today, and eat a healthy dinner. Do not fast or only eat 87 calories until tomorrow, you'll just be starving (making it easier to succumb to cravings) and you'll also slow down your metabolism. If I were you, I'd just accept the fact that I might go over a few hundred calories today, and just be more diligent tomorrow.

It helps me to plan out my entire day in the morning, so I don't accidentally eat too much mid-day. Maybe try that next time :)

Good luck :)
  • adryvictoria
    Options
    Very helpful! Thanks for taking the time to answer, for sure ill eat dinner then :)
  • greekygirl
    greekygirl Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    The amount of calories MFP recommends for me are 1200 regardless of if I have it set on 2 pounds/week, 1 pound/week, .5/week - doesn't matter - 1200 calories. It only adds calories when I have it set to maintain - and it only gives me 1430! Does anyone know why? Am I the only person in this situation?

And actually, I still lose weight on 1430 calories AND eating my exercise calories.
  • helcb
    Options

it is the second heading under my home , if u click into goals u can see it , i see that some people have said im wrong about d above but this is what happend to me , my mam and aunt when we all tried to set our target weight loss at more than a pound a week . apologies if im wrong :)
  • helcb
    Options

err not strictly true my goal is 2lbs per week MFP set my daily at 1830 (although i changed it to 1500, i kept eating food i did not need or want to because of it!!!) it depends on the total amount you enter to lose in adryvictoria's case this would be expected!!

11795304.png

err ive about 14lbs to lose so maybe this is why it kept happening to me wen i tried to change it
    thanks for correcting me :)
  • stephabef
    stephabef Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    The amount of calories MFP recommends for me are 1200 regardless of if I have it set on 2 pounds/week, 1 pound/week, .5/week - doesn't matter - 1200 calories. It only adds calories when I have it set to maintain - and it only gives me 1430! Does anyone know why? Am I the only person in this situation?

And actually, I still lose weight on 1430 calories AND eating my exercise calories.

What is your current height/weight?
  • greekygirl
    greekygirl Posts: 448 Member
    Options

What is your current height/weight?

I'm 5'2.5" and 108 lbs. Thanks for answering!
  • thatlook
    thatlook Posts: 58 Member
    Options

11795304.png

err ive about 14lbs to lose so maybe this is why it kept happening to me wen i tried to change it
    thanks for correcting me :)

no problems, smaller framed people wanting to lose lower amounts are bound to be allocated 1200cals per day as they would not find it so hard to drop to a lower amount daily!! coming from a position of cosumming anythying up to 3000 cals per day for me to drop to 1200 would be impossible, id have given up within days!!