Sleep...how has it contributed to your success story (detail

Options
Hi, I'm new here, this is just a great site and this is my first post! I've been on my journey since the 20th of January and have lost 12 pounds forever, with 56 more to go.

What inspired me was a visit to the doctor for skin problems/rashes and i've never had problem skin in all my life--and I'm no spring chicken either. As I viewed my doctors report, I saw something that KICKED me in my head, rear and heart...the line read (amongst other things) OBESE :o( and was 198.8 pounds!!!!! I knew I was overweight (I'm 5'6), but something in me snapped when I saw OBESE as one of my diagnosis.

That scared me and from that day on, I haven't had any sweets at all (other than organic granola--which I eat very little of), no meats (other than wild salmon & pole caught tuna), no junk foods at all. I've been a coffee fiend for the last 20 years, drinking 4 or more cups of coffee with flavored creams and sugary powders FOREVER, I haven't had a cup of coffee since then, I used to eat fast foods and restaurant foods everyday, I've only eaten out twice since then....both times fresh fish and roasted veggies. I haven't had any packaged nor process foods since then either. BEST of ALL, the desire for these things are GONE! NO withdrawals nor looking back. I've only been eating organic fruits and veggies and sprouted breads and pasta since. I've been eating tofurkey and had my first piece of glutten free mushroom and herb pizza (Bella Monica) today--so that's packaged and it's actually a lot of calories 443 calories for a 1/3 of a piece of flatbread--it was good, but I'll only indulge in that type of foods every so often, it just can't compare now to raw organic veggies and fruits and salads to me and I'm so GLAD.

I started exercising on my treadmill daily and when I first go on it...after literally 2 minutes, I felt like I would die. I've been lazy (politically correct--sedentary) for the past 20 years too. I also started getting on my stationary bike as well. I could hardly pedal and now I can lightly jog on my treadmill and am doing 30 minutes on my bike alone. I've been walking outside daily, something for a couple of hours at a time--this is just awesome to me.

All this to say, I've lost 12 pounds since then and I'm so glad--still got a long way to go however.

This brings me to my topic...

I've ALWAYS stayed up very late, getting just 4-6 hours of sleep per night most times. When I set my face to do what's Good for me (everyone is different--this is what's good for and to me). I started getting at least 8-10 hours of sleep per night too. Last night, I stayed up until 1:30 a.m. doing taxes and for the first time since my "new life-style" I feel sluggish today, all day.

How important is a really good night's sleep (8-10 hours per night regularly) going to bed early, even when it means missing out on some fun been in your weight loss journey? Can we talk about that?

Replies

• maddymama
    maddymama Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your weightloss and your lifestyle improvements! Sounds like some wonderful changes have been made.

Sleep is very important. I'm sure someone here will chime in on the hows and whys of it, but as the mom of two little kidlets, sleeps is huge. I find myself struggling on days after our rough nights... usually sneaking some extra chocolate or coffee to help me get through the day.
  • DestinyDarbi
    DestinyDarbi Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I haven't had a full 8-10 hours of sleep in over a year--since my son was born! He still wakes up 2-3 times a night. My fit journey didn't begin until after he was born, so I don't really have anything to compare my no-sleep days to! But just the thought of getting a full 8-10 hours of sleep makes me feel like I have more energy.. does that count!?
  • ceecee368
    ceecee368 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your weight loss!

I'm terrible at sleeping. There is just not enough time in the day. I would do so much better if days were 30 - 35 hours long. I actually notice the opposite than most people when it comes to sleeping & diet/weight loss. When I'm on my usual schedule of 4ish hours a night, I tend to eat less, workout more, and just feel healthier overall. When I'm getting a "healthy" amount of sleep I tend not to find time to work out and I snack all day.

I know, I'm weird. Don't do what I do.
  • davidlbass
    davidlbass Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    For me it was the weight that was interfering with my sleep. Got to where I was falling asleep and work, grouchy and fuzzy brained. Since I lost the weight I sleep a whole lot better and all of this has cleared up.
  • gregavila
    gregavila Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    Sleeping is very important for me. I tend to get about 6:45 a night on average but really need to get closer to 8 to feel rested. So far it's not affected my weight loss but I can definitely tell a difference when I am not getting enough sleep.
  • atjays
    atjays Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    I've noticed my better weeks are generally ones where I was sleeping more. The body has a specific cycle it goes through when sleeping and processes or "chores" it carries out while you sleep. For us the important ones are repairing damaged muscle tissue from working out and weight management. Both of these have been shown to happen in the latter end of your sleep cycle. Only sleeping 4 hours although you may be able to function may be keeping you from more timely results. I think of it like opening the dishwasher halfway through, you wouldn't expect clean dishes... Don't interrupt your body :D
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Thanks for these replies :smile:
  • bellavie23
    bellavie23 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I dont get much sleep lol, have 2 kids who still get up at night, one that avgs once a night, then my 2 month old who gets up multiple times..sleep is a distant memory. I have lost 35 lbs these last 2 months though, so although I am sure sleep would help one's self, I do not think it contributes a significant amount, or for me it doesn't seem to.
  • ArynnOctavia
    Options
    Clinical studies have shown that not only do people who are sleep depirved eat more, but that people who are sleep deprived have slower metabolisms. If you want to lose weight, neither are your friend.

During the past year, I've made both getting enough sleep and not ever skipping meals a priority. Both bad habits cause overeating and kill your metabolism, and losing weight is enough of a struggle without allowing obstacles in your path. Though I am only about 2/3 of the way through my weight loss journey, I credit sleep, not skipping meals, portion control, and excercise as the four pillars my 111 pound (so far) weight loss is built on.
  • lcharity79
    lcharity79 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Your body burns calories even while sleeping...and your muscles, etc. require some recovery time. When I sleep better, I feel better. When I feel better, I'm more inclined to exercise and give more effort. To me, this isn't simply a weight loss journey, it's a journey to better health! I try to get 7 to 8 hours sleep. I don't know that I've ever been able to sleep 10 hours straight though, unless I was sick. And now that I'm exercising and putting good foods into my body, 7 to 8 hours sleep is quite sufficient. I personally think getting enough sleep does help lose weight, because it helps me mentally face the day stronger...and with dieting, more than anything else, I think it is mind over matter! I have to be mentally strong to make the good choices my body needs, and that I deserve! Rest is important...
  • ShrinkinMel
    ShrinkinMel Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Yes its important certain hormones used for weight control are only released during certain sleep stages. So a good 8 hours a night minimum is greatly recommended so that you reach that stage.

When I was doing good in 2010(before I developed anxiety disorder happenings and panic attacks) I did have much much better weigh ins the weeks I got good 8 hours of sleep every night. So yeah I believe in the importance of sleep.
  • carlaunderconstruction
    Options
    I realized that working night shifts were interfering with my weight loss, and overall quality of life. After a night shift, I would only sleep four hours at most, and then I would be a wreak for most of the day afterwards. I recently quit my night shift job (3 weeks ago), because I did strongly feel that it was interfering with my health. Since, then I have still been working, but only shifts that are 7am-3pm, or 3pm-11pm. I have found that it has been easier to loose weight, and I have a lot more energy for my workouts.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!