processed food and eating healthier

Options
What processed food.have you cut out of your life and are you still eating? I still eat tysons chicken, cereal and granola bars. Ice cut out hamburger helper. Plus I've decided after this week to cut out red meat; pig and cow meat and just eat turkey sausage Bacon burgers and ground meat, chicken, and seafood. What do you think?

Replies

• RobynJoy76
    RobynJoy76 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I've recently become vegetarian and it's been a real challenge for me to find things to eat because I'm sort of a meat and green veggies kind of girl. I like to stick to the rule of If you can't pronounce the ingredients, stay away from it. Eating whole and organic is your best bet to a healthy diet but even organic ready made foods can have a lot of unnecessary ingredients. Stick to simple things like legumes, brown rice, organic fruits and veggies and non factory raised dairy (and meats if you aren't vegetarian).
  • Micheller1210
    Micheller1210 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    http://videos.disabled-world.com/video/538/pink-slime-chicken-nuggets-video

look at this video, short and sweet on how chicken nuggets are made.
  • Trallaurrum
    Trallaurrum Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Homemade lazy hamburger helper:

In a deep frying pan, brown some ground beef. Season it with salt/pepper. Add some onions, cook until softened. Pour in 1 can beef broth (low sodium if you wish), 1 can water and 1 can broccoli and cheese soup (careful if you try to use low fat - it often has the same calories as regular.) Immediately add 1/2 of a package of egg noodles (I use whole wheat!) Cover and simmer until it reduces to a thick consistency. Stir once or twice. Your noodles will be cooked and everything will be ready to dish up. Great with a salad or a pile of steamed veggies, or as a base of adding your favourite customizations to it.

I know, it still uses canned soup. But it doesn't have the preservatives and CRAZY amount of salt and sugar that packaged HH does! You can swap the beef broth for water, but it does add a ton of flavour. Even people that don't like HH like mine. :)
  • Kymmu
    Kymmu Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    I went primal 13 months ago. I don't eat any processed food any more if I can help it.
    I've never felt better!
  • jazziesaj11
    jazziesaj11 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Well, on a normal work week basis almost everything is as natural, organic, and un-processed as possible... BUT XD I still have to have my mac n cheese. Not healthy, definitely not, but if it helps I LOVE and only eat the veggie mac now XD lol. Also eat tyson chicken strips, not too bad compared to other stuff... and once in a while tai pei potstickers... yummm.. Also on my cheat day I have one meal where I don't care about the processed crap as long as it's yummy and worth it... Oh, and chocolate, cannot give that stuff up.
  • Emilia6909
    Emilia6909 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I've been anal about processed foods since 1997. If it has been made by man, I avoid it! :noway:
  • boscopeanut2011
    Options
    Hi I am new and I have been trying to keep calories low and by doing that I am trying to keep is simple- for my own sanity. I have been so obssesed that this seems to prevent me from gettingoff track- however- it inlcludes processed nutrition bars...
    Any ideas on what to replace them with?
    Thanks
  • Emilia6909
    Emilia6909 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Hi I am new and I have been trying to keep calories low and by doing that I am trying to keep is simple- for my own sanity. I have been so obssesed that this seems to prevent me from gettingoff track- however- it inlcludes processed nutrition bars...
    Any ideas on what to replace them with?
    Thanks

I have no idea what really goes into a nutrition bar, but you can combine the following for a seriously delicious snack:

2 cups of dates
    1/2 cup cashews or almonds raw
    1/2 cup coconut flakes
    1/2 cup raw oats (optional)
    zest of one lemon

Blend the lot in processor. You can roll into balls or roll out between wax paper before cutting into squares or strips.
    Absolutely DELICIOUS and perfect for sweet cravings!
  • mirgss
    mirgss Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to find some good organic meat around here...not easy. I hate buying meat from Tyson, Smithfield, etc. (Just watched Food, Inc not too long ago.)

Red meat is good for you! As long as it's not grain-fed.

Trying organic/free range eggs, fresh veggies, etc.

I'm trying out the primal/paleo lifestyle and really liking it so far.
  • jmvmisc24
    jmvmisc24 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I love turkey meat now. I can't stand the taste of most pig meat or cow meat except for hamburgers and occasional steak. so I might eat red meat one a month.
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    Turkey bacon is more processed.

Nothing wrong with red meat. I eat it frequently
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    eat-all-the-food.jpg

I don't restrict anything.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options

^ I follow this method as well. I am in the best shape of my life and my health markers have all improved.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I stopped having Hamburger Helper (might still have a box of Tuna Helper in the cupboard), canned pasta (Spaghettios, Beefaroni) and Pop Tarts. Mostly because none of them are really very good. Just convenient.

I still have frozen pizza, Rice A Roni or Lipton Rice sides, chicken nuggets (but only if they're recognizably white meat, not some composite like MDF), and sometimes frozen dinners like Lean Cuisine, Healthy Choice or Smart Ones.
  • PurplePookie
    PurplePookie Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I have no idea what really goes into a nutrition bar, but you can combine the following for a seriously delicious snack:

2 cups of dates
    1/2 cup cashews or almonds raw
    1/2 cup coconut flakes
    1/2 cup raw oats (optional)
    zest of one lemon

Blend the lot in processor. You can roll into balls or roll out between wax paper before cutting into squares or strips.
    Absolutely DELICIOUS and perfect for sweet cravings!

I am so going to make these - they sound delicious and perfect for a snack for my little ones. Thank you for posting!
  • Sidesteal
    Options
    I stopped having Pop Tarts.

Despite the enjoyment I get out of staring at your pics, I no longer like you.

;)
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    eat-all-the-food.jpg

This.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I stopped having Pop Tarts.

Despite the enjoyment I get out of staring at your pics, I no longer like you.

;)

I swapped them for English Muffins coated in Nutella, though.
  • galegetsthin
    galegetsthin Posts: 1,352 Member
    Options
    I gave up a lot of processed food. I still have some, but it is healthier options. I gave up white breads, pastas, rice and potatoes and sugar that doesnt come from fruit. I will occasionally have some whole wheat pasta, or a tortilla or brown rice....... but I shoot for nothing white. I had to though with my insulin resistance. I find it much easier to just make and stick with THAT rule than trying to count carbs and the sort. It is not going to be one set rule for everyone...... it is whatever works best for you.
  • Sidesteal
    Options
    I swapped them for English Muffins coated in Nutella, though.

Ok, I like you again.