Vegetarian and trying to lose weight

Options
13»

Replies

• lauest
    lauest Posts: 11
    Options
    Hi fellow Vegos
    Similar to many posts, I too need to lose some weight - about 8 - 10 kilos. I've gained weight over the last two years through:
    a. eating too much
    b. eating too many processed foods (crackers, cheese etc)
    c. not moving enough.
    Fairly simple equation for gaining weight, especially as I am edging closer to 40. Sigh.

My main focus is not so much cutting out carbs which is pretty hard on a vegetarian diet, but trying to cut down on fat, and avoiding as much as possible, processed foods. This means lots and lots of vegetables, tofu, legumes, fruit and low-fat dairy. I find the recommendations for protein/carbs confusing in Australia (on government health websites), but having talked with a nutritionist, I think I've finally got my head what is a balanced diet: I have been eating around about 1 cup of legumes/ 125 - 250 g tofu a day (which is 2 serves of protein) over lunch and dinner - the legumes provide a good balance of carbs - they are low GI, low in fat and full of fibre. My nutritional analysis of my daily calorie intake meets all my protein needs and also is very close to my carb allowance. I also get about 35 gms of fibre a day. I haven't yet eaten any rice/pasta because I don't really I need it (I've only made my dietary changes over the last week).

The only other time I have a substantial block of carbs is in the morning - when I have 1/2 cup museli (I make it myself) or 2 Weetbix (Aust brand). I've been doing this all week and I'm feeling good, especially in the afternoons when I use to get a real energy slump (and end up consuming carbs to prop myself up...).
    This week I was really hungry around 4 pm, and decided to make a blueberry smoothie which absolutely hit the spot until I was ready to sit down to dinner.
    Feel free to friend me or post. I don't pretend to know what works for anyone but myself, but I am always interested in other people's recipes and ideas.
    And good luck to everyone on their weight loss journey!
  • jennsea
    jennsea Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I'm a newbie here and Vegetarian as well! I'd love to make some new Vegetarian friends and swap recipies :)
  • kayteanne
    kayteanne Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I'm vegetarian from the UK, feel free to add :)

BTW - I love 'Appetite for Reduction' by Isa Chandra Moskowitz recipe book. I'm not vegan but trying to eat a more healthy vegetarian diet.