Too much sugar from fruit??

Options
Hi there!

Just after a bit of advice about my intake of sugar from fruit.

Since being diagnosed with PCOS I have been following a diet to try and control my symptoms, which has involved trying to cut out white carbs and avoid refined sugars. I try to avoid processed foods and make my meals from scratch, I follow this plan 7 days a week and have no 'cheat days' as I feel this is a lifestyle choice rather than a diet and it's something I choose to do rather than feel I have to do, if that makes sense! Admittedly I do have a cereal for breakfast (albeit a whole grain one) and a can of coke zero a day which I suppose could be classed as my 'treats'!

My question however is do to with fruit. I eat a lot of fruit, I love it, all different types!! I have noticed that due to the amount of fruit I eat, my sugar in my diary on here is always over my daily limit. Is this something I should be worried about? I'm reluctant to cut down on my fruit too much as I really do enjoy it, I look forward to eating it and I don't know what I would replace it with if I did cut it out! Does the fact that it's 'natural' sugar as opposed to refined sugar mean that it's not too much of a problem or should I be trying to lower this? And if so, what should I eat instead??

Any advice would be appreciated!

Replies

• TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about getting too much sugar from fruit unless you have a problem with candida. The wild chimpanzee diet is 50% fruit and they have incredible immune systems.

GreenSmoothies_PieChart1.jpg
  • polegirl23
    polegirl23 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about getting too much sugar from fruit unless you have a problem with candida. The wild chimpanzee diet is 50% fruit and they have incredible immune systems.

GreenSmoothies_PieChart1.jpg

Haha thanks, I love that, it made me smile!! If it's good enough for a chimpanzee, it's good enough for me (although I'm not sure I fancy adding insects to my diet haha!!) :)
  • gemiwing
    gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    How much fruit are we talking? Three pieces a day or enough to Scrooge McDuck it? Former- don't worry unless it presents medically in your bloodwork. If it's the second then yes, perhaps scale it back a bit.
  • LuckyAng
    LuckyAng Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    I personally don't stress about fruit.
  • polegirl23
    Options
    How much fruit are we talking? Three pieces a day or enough to Scrooge McDuck it? Former- don't worry unless it presents medically in your bloodwork. If it's the second then yes, perhaps scale it back a bit.

Well on an average day I'll prob have:

2 gala apples at work
    Possibly a banana pre-workout
    Melon/pineapple or berries of some sort as a snack at 8/9pm
    Sometimes pick at grapes too

I guess I have a sweet tooth and since cutting out sweets, chocolate, tea with sugar etc I have replaced my 'sweet treats' with fruit!!
  • nickyfm
    nickyfm Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    As you know I too have PCOS, and my amazing naturopath has never said a bad word about fruit. In fact she encourages the consumption of natural, unprocessed foods.

However a great thing to do to lower the glycemic impact of the fruit on your blood stream is to pair the fruit with a protein like 5-6 Almonds or something
  • polegirl23
    Options
    Thanks TheDevastator, I'll go check out those links now........

Nickyfm - fab idea, and I love almonds and could do with upping my calorie intake a bit, I'll add them to my food order for this week and keep some at my desk!! :)
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options

Well on an average day I'll prob have:

2 gala apples at work
    Possibly a banana pre-workout
    Melon/pineapple or berries of some sort as a snack at 8/9pm
    Sometimes pick at grapes too

I guess I have a sweet tooth and since cutting out sweets, chocolate, tea with sugar etc I have replaced my 'sweet treats' with fruit!!
    So you replaced a carb for a carb.

Read:

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/most_recent/5_ways_to_improve_insulin_sensitivity

I personally limit myself to 2 pcs a day due to the reasons mentioned in the article.
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Personally, I don't worry about it--and I eat a lot of fruit (a typical day might include, 1-2 apples, 2 cups of melon, 1/2 a banana, and a few berries). Yes, I'm over MPF's sugar recommendations, but I'm typically at or under calories and hitting my protein goal. Is this "optimally healthy?" Maybe not, but it works reasonably well for me, I can cut out fruit, but I enjoy it, I figure we all have something.
  • polegirl23
    Options
    Personally, I don't worry about it--and I eat a lot of fruit (a typical day might include, 1-2 apples, 2 cups of melon, 1/2 a banana, and a few berries). Yes, I'm over MPF's sugar recommendations, but I'm typically at or under calories and hitting my protein goal. Is this "optimally healthy?" Maybe not, but it works reasonably well for me, I can cut out fruit, but I enjoy it, I figure we all have something.

Mellisant your description is just the same as mine - over on sugar and protein and under on calories!! I think I'll keep enjoying my fruit unless I start feeling any kind of side effects and have a chat with my doc when I'm there next Tues! :)
  • vjrose
    vjrose Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    Not a big fan of the whole Carb is a Carb but the low carbers will say that. The MFP setting for sugar is not distinguishing between "added" sugar and natural sugar. I don't see any huge issues with your fruit intake, if you don't eat many veggies at least you are getting your 5 servings a day from somewhere so good for you. The recommendation is not more than 30g of "added" sugar, so sugar, corn syrup, honey, etc. Read your labels and watch your sugars from any other source and you should be fine.
  • My1985Freckles
    My1985Freckles Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • hope516
    hope516 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Anything and everything in moderation!!!
  • Wampiress
    Options
    I am the same case, I guess:-) I have banana and apple in my oat breakfast, then apple and orange for snack and two apples for afternoon snack - it is 6 times a day at least.-) i am high in carbs and proteins and low in calories also:-) I love this kind of diet, because I feel good with it.
  • neznarf0205
    neznarf0205 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I gave up most fruit because of my high glucose levels and when I told my cardiologist this he said I was nuts. I am back to fruit, but I do temper with a big serving of veggies mixed in. Get your blood levels tested at doctor and see where you are at and listen to your body. Congrats on the lifestyle change, YOU CAN DO IT!!!!
  • NicolaNash
    Options
    this drives me nuts too - always told eat your 5 a day and then every time I read about a diet in a magazine it says not to each much fruit because of the sugar (and constantly going into the red because of it). They tend to say switcj to veg instead of fruit - but ultimately it is a lifestyle change and has to be sustainable. You have to ate food you like, some fruit is fine and going over slightly isn't too much of a worry, the benefits of the fruit surely have to outweigh a bit of excess sugar?
  • star87cc
    Options
    I used to eat a lot of fruit, (5 a day) but after tracking on here originally I was concerned about the sugar levels (I also follwed GI lists of green light fruits) and in the end I noticed my teeth were becoming quite sensitive to all the natural sugars and acids (I pressume?) so I've started swapping them out for veggies now. Its hard to know what to do for the best sometimes!
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    Bare in mind that fruit sugar (fructose) can only be stored in the liver or as body fat or burnt as energy. Too much fruit may result increased fat gain. Best to chomp on veggies tbh.
  • polegirl23
    Options
    Thank everyone, you've def given me something to think about! I'm still not keen on cutting out fruit completely but I may look to replace some of my 'at work' fruit snacks with veg - quite fancy chomping on some raw carrots, celery and cherry tomatoes at my desk!! :)