Why is it?

Options
Why is it that when you turn down a donut or something at work that the person that brought them just won't take no for an answer? I don't want to be rude but "no thank you" just isn't enough so this morning I ended up eating a glazed donut and now I'm forever barred to the treadmill tonight for a longer workout.

Replies

• emkay617
    emkay617 Posts: 17
    Options
    They want to feel better about eating it themselves! just keep saying no thanks, tell them you just ate or you're not feeling well, or you don't like donuts! Make up anything! I know its really annoying my coworker and I go through it and talk about how rediculous it is all the time! Good for you for heading right to the treadmill though!
  • smadag1
    smadag1 Posts: 1,368
    Options
    I have the same problem. We had 3 sales reps bring donuts in last week and they don't take NO for an answer. Why can't they leave us alone:explode:
  • Johnnyswife
    Johnnyswife Posts: 1,447 Member
    Options
    OMG!! My husband does that to me too! He said he would be supportive of my diet, but than waves stuff in my face, trying to tempt me! :explode:
    I don't know why people don't seem to understand, and try to shove food in our faces. It confuses me too.
  • CatheyJ
    CatheyJ Posts: 16
    Options
    Or just ask them.. "Do you know how long it will take me to burn that off on the treadmill? No thanks!"
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    Or just ask them.. "Do you know how long it will take me to burn that off on the treadmill? No thanks!"

I ask them if they know how many calories are in it
  • LosingMoosey
    Options
    I used to keep a granola bar in my desk for just this occassion.

When someone offered me a snack I could just pull it out, hold it between myself and the offending snack, and say "No thank you! I'd hate to waste my snack for today!" (This was whether I was actually eating it or not.

I would also sometimes bring it to the office birthday parties and snack on it instead of the cake. Okay, I did that only sometimes :blushing:
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    Once, in a fit of frustration (and very out of character for me) I responded after three "no, really, no thank yous" with "what I put in my body is my business." It shut it right down.

Sometimes directness is the best self-defense.

If it were crack, or alcohol, or anything else that isn't good for you. . .who would try to push it on you?
  • thumper44
    thumper44 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    If they won't take no as an answer.

Take it from them, put it on your desk (tell them you'll eat it later).

When they're not around.

Throw it in the garbage.
    or
    Give it to another co-worker/friend.
  • thumper44
    thumper44 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options

If it were crack, or alcohol, or anything else that isn't good for you. . .who would try to push it on you?

The person who would push it on you, is the same person enjoying the same thing.
    If someone bought donuts and they aren't fond of them, you won't see them push the donuts on you.

"You have to join me in the same bad things I'm doing"
  • GlamNGlitter
    Options
    i've had that happen to me before. i just take the doughnut to make them happy
    then i go into the lounge and put it on the table for someone else to eat :bigsmile:
  • connie96
    connie96 Posts: 22
    Options
    I have found that it makes a difference HOW I say "no thank you". If I immediately say it and go back to whatever I was doing before they offered, that's the end of it. If I look at the donut and have that "I wish I could" look on my face, or offer any body language or words of possible indicision, that's when they hound me. But, if I make it obvious that I'm not considering it for even a second, that's pretty much the end of it. (This is very hard to do, because, duh, of course I WANT a donut... ALMOST as much as I want to be thin and healthy.)
  • Dreaj79
    Dreaj79 Posts: 212
    Options
    I hate food pushers!! Doctor's offices are the worst!! We always have food brought in from somewhere for lunch. Or we have to work through lunch and our docs will order pizza for us. It's very thoughtful of them, but not good for my hips at all. I try to bring my lunch everyday and smile and say "no thanks" when offered food. Most of my coworkers know better than to offer, but occasionally I'll get someone who doesn't and I'll say "I'm trying to lose weight to be healthy enough to get pregnant". Usually that makes food pushers retreat in shame that they would dare derail my plans to have a family. :bigsmile:
  • TheBestMe
    TheBestMe Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Aerdrea, that is exactly why I am trying to get healthy is to eventually have a healthy pregnancy. I work in insurance and so every client is very important (we work off commission). So when a client brings it in like this morning all I could do was take it but thanks everyone for the suggestions! The donut was super yummy but food remorse is worse than shopper's remorse!:noway: