Sick of dieting with little change

Options

Replies

• o_delaisse
    o_delaisse Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I have same problem, but I know why: for over a year I barely ate. One small meal, regular fasting, purging, laxatives that kind of thing: bad things. I'm more sorted now and my attitude is much healthier, but man, I have destroyed my metabolism. Do you think you've overdone dieting? Pushed your body too hard? If so, you might have upset your metabolism.

I'm still only losing a meagre amount of weight every week and it's so frustrating, so I understand. But when people talk about lifestyle changes, doing it the "hard way" (that is a lot of work over a long time), I think they're right. I wish I had done that.

Just an idea (see what other people say about this) - for a while, how about aiming to maintain? I know that might not sound appealing, but I did that and it worked for a while. Perhaps if I had aimed to maintain for longer I wouldn't struggle now. Might be an idea, but as I say see what other people think, it might be a stupid idea :)
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    Interesting. I've hit a plateau for the last 6 months and can't get passed it. So I feel the same way. I lost 53 lbs doing all the things you mention. I still work out 3-4 times a week for 1 hour of intense cardio or tae bo. I can't loose my last 10 lbs. I'm eating 1200 calories or less. Not sure what I need to do to get past the plateau.
    To get past plateaus you are supposed to up your calorie intake

....everyone that just agreed to having the same problem, try this.
  • acdchick
    Options
    It's a girl thing. He wouldn't understand.
  • runfrommygenes
    Options
    I am so right there with you!!!
    I have been at this for years it feels... always staying in the mid to low 160's...
    I have logged more food than one should!
    I workout like a mad woman....
    I know I am doing everything that I can.. ( I know some say that, but if you knew me, you would see that I am telling the truth.)
    I am in school for personal training and sports science so I have learned so much about our bodies and eating healthy....
    I eat good for the most part (except for some occasional chocolate...)
    I make almost everything from scratch (that is why I hate to journal food, adding a new recipe for almost every supper kills me...)
    I have tried the body media, no luck... it said I burned an average of 3200 a day and I ate around 2100 a day... NO WEIGHT LOSS...
    I just started carb cycling (if you open my food journal this will show this...) I don't log everyday because I feel like "WHY, I have done it with no success... why waste my time... Plus, I am really good at measuring and knowing how much I eat... ( I love my food scale)
    I am on my 3rd week of carb cycling and have gained weight... seriously... what... Of course I am feeling backed up per say (if you look today I had a expresso drink thingy... I don't even drink coffee crap ever, but a classmate said that caffeine would help MOVE things along..NO luck. I mean I am 'going' but not like normal and I feel bloated.)
    I will never give up on me, I know I am healthy as all get out on the inside, but my hard work just doesn't "SHOW"
    BTW I am 5'6" and 35 yrs old... I do come from a very obese family, but I also know that genes are just a small part of it. I have a BF% of around 25%. I lift weights and do cardio.
    Like I said, I have not journalled a lot lately because I am getting so sick of it... I do log my high protein days to make sure I am getting enough... I also eat 7+ servings of fruits and veggies (mostly veggies) each day... and drink 10+ cups of water....

Seriously, I should be skinny (ok, not skinny, but much smaller than I am...) I know that "BUTT and THIGH" fat is harder to lose, but 1/2 pound a week would be nice!!!!

One more thing... I have had all my thyroid tests done... a tad low, but not out of range low... I am having a parc. Hyst. surgery done in a few weeks due to crazy periods (10-12 days long) this has been going on for a few years... I have asked about hormone issues and that causing me to not lose weight, but no one wants to talk about it with me.... I might have to take matters into my own hands...
  • acdchick
    Options
    If a hypocaloric diet is not working for you something is wrong. If its not biological its psychological. Meaning, if your body isn't the problem, you are. Calories in < calories out = weight loss.

Forgot to quote him last time. Sorry. Anyway, it's a girl thing. I'm not saying there isn't some validity to his statement. Evaluate your mindset. But Cal in<cal out is usually not enough to keep us girls in weightloss mode.
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    I am so right there with you!!!
    I have been at this for years it feels... always staying in the mid to low 160's...
    I have logged more food than one should!
    I workout like a mad woman....
    I know I am doing everything that I can.. ( I know some say that, but if you knew me, you would see that I am telling the truth.)
    I am in school for personal training and sports science so I have learned so much about our bodies and eating healthy....
    I eat good for the most part (except for some occasional chocolate...)
    I make almost everything from scratch (that is why I hate to journal food, adding a new recipe for almost every supper kills me...)
    I have tried the body media, no luck... it said I burned an average of 3200 a day and I ate around 2100 a day... NO WEIGHT LOSS...
    I just started carb cycling (if you open my food journal this will show this...) I don't log everyday because I feel like "WHY, I have done it with no success... why waste my time... Plus, I am really good at measuring and knowing how much I eat... ( I love my food scale)
    I am on my 3rd week of carb cycling and have gained weight... seriously... what... Of course I am feeling backed up per say (if you look today I had a expresso drink thingy... I don't even drink coffee crap ever, but a classmate said that caffeine would help MOVE things along..NO luck. I mean I am 'going' but not like normal and I feel bloated.)
    I will never give up on me, I know I am healthy as all get out on the inside, but my hard work just doesn't "SHOW"
    BTW I am 5'6" and 35 yrs old... I do come from a very obese family, but I also know that genes are just a small part of it. I have a BF% of around 25%. I lift weights and do cardio.
    Like I said, I have not journalled a lot lately because I am getting so sick of it... I do log my high protein days to make sure I am getting enough... I also eat 7+ servings of fruits and veggies (mostly veggies) each day... and drink 10+ cups of water....

Seriously, I should be skinny (ok, not skinny, but much smaller than I am...) I know that "BUTT and THIGH" fat is harder to lose, but 1/2 pound a week would be nice!!!!

One more thing... I have had all my thyroid tests done... a tad low, but not out of range low... I am having a parc. Hyst. surgery done in a few weeks due to crazy periods (10-12 days long) this has been going on for a few years... I have asked about hormone issues and that causing me to not lose weight, but no one wants to talk about it with me.... I might have to take matters into my own hands...

25% body fat is pretty low for a woman, isn't it? When you have little left to lose you can expect it to take a while.
  • runfrommygenes
    Options
    It is around average... I am just small on top, larger on bottom, not large, I mean I wear a womans size 10... I am just a medium on top, small chest, muscular arms... I just have that FAT on my butt and thighs I want gone...
    I agree, it does take longer when you are close to goal... however, a few years is toooo long!
    I do not think I am fat, or big, or whatever, I am just NOT what I would like to be...
    My goal is 22% body fat which takes me to just around 150 lbs... not small for a 5'6" woman.... however, totally do-able, you would think....
    IF my body would cooperate!

ALSO, I know carb cycling might be a FAD diet, but it is a grasping at a last straw... I haven't fad dieted in the past few years... just eat like the thin person I want to be (fat2fit radio quote) but that isn't working.. So the grasping would be carb cycling...
  • small4me
    small4me Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Ive lost 27 lbs.[ was at 205] Its taken two and a half years. Ive done medafast, hcg, 1200 cal for 8 months and now I am doing 1600 cal [for two months] Ive had my thyroid checked. when I exercise I gain weight without loosing inches. I am so sick of no results! I am ushely an optimistic person but this is getting old! :grumble:

Hey there!! I just read your profile!!!! You are allergic to wheat??? !!! do you have Celiac or a gluten intolerance or a wheat allergy?? Really doesn't matter, but I would suggest that this might be a BIG BIG reason you are having trouble. There is wheat and gluten in way too many things that we do not even think about. My daughter has been celiac for over 12 years now. If you are not reading every little thing, it can cause be problems in your weight loss. I would suggest starting with the wheat issue and keep up with your dr about anything else it could be. I have next to no thyroid and have been on a very strong med for 19 years, it takes me way more work to lose weight then most people, but it all can be done.

Hugs for you and your frustration, once you find the trigger you will fly!!!!
  • DuckDuckDuck
    DuckDuckDuck Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    When I gave up on major exercise was when I trained for three months for a back packing trip. I worked out with waits and did the tread mill with a 35 lb pack three times a week. On the other days I hiked with a 35 lb pack with my family. I gained 10 lbs, and did not loose any inches. now I try to play more. Go for walks with my husband. garden. Play the wii with my kids.
  • DuckDuckDuck
    Options
    I am 42 5 feet 2 in and 177.
  • Danpellizzari
    Options
    Looking at the food there seems to be lots if carbs, but not much exercise. Maybe try reducing carbs and increasing protein and when you exercise do some weight resistance circuit training.
  • DuckDuckDuck
    Options
    The Dr around my small town are not helpful. I had bad migraines for years [I had migraines for over half the month] and they would just give me a prescription to get rid of the pain. While doing a diet I realized when I cut out wheat I had almost no migraine. The Dr had no clue that a allergy could cause a migraine. The other Drs Ive been to are worse than him.
  • Panda86
    Panda86 Posts: 873
    Options
    Ive lost 27 lbs.[ was at 205] Its taken two and a half years. Ive done medafast, hcg, 1200 cal for 8 months and now I am doing 1600 cal [for two months] Ive had my thyroid checked. when I exercise I gain weight without loosing inches. I am so sick of no results! I am ushely an optimistic person but this is getting old! :grumble:

I couldn't help noticing that you said nothing about actually eating healthy foods. I know everyone is different, but with my experience it seems that if you actually work on being healthy (eating healthy foods, not just a certain calorie amount, and regular exercise, plenty of water and sufficient sleep) the weight takes care of itself. A lot of people have said it, but I will reiterate what they said- aim to be healthy, not just skinny, and make changes you are willing to stick with. Fad diets that make you lose quick also make you gain quick when you quit them. It's best to do it the healthy way, so that the weight comes off at a healthy rate and stays off. Hang in there!
  • dakitten2
    dakitten2 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    I did medifast a few years ago and it wrecked my metabolism. I lost the weight and lost it fast then returning to real foods again totally kicked my butt. I ended up in the hospital, would gain weight daily. I'm not using any tricks this time. I'm eating to my calorie goal and exercising moderately. I measure every single bite I intake. If I eat out, I refuse to eat at a restaurant that doesnt post their nutrition info. Listen to the ones on here that offer encouraging changes. I've only been here since October and still dont feel comfortable in telling someone what they should or should not be doing. That's why I still see a nutritionist and my physician once a month

Added: My nutritionist sets my protein/carbs, etc percentage rather than accept the MFP defaults. It might be worthwhile to see a nutritionist.
  • Orangecupcake
    Orangecupcake Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Hi. I am new to these boards. Congratulations on the weight loss. I checked out your diary and I agree with the others. I think you should take an overall lifestyle change approach. Don't think of it as "dieting". You'll get a slightly different answer from me.
    I have been a Vegetarian for two years. I limit dairy too. Now I know this lifestyle isn't for everyone, but one of the things I strongly believe is that people in general eat too many processed, fatty foods. This really makes people gain weight and get sick (high cholesterol, diabetes). Do try to limit your processed food and red meats, and try to eat lean protein when possible--tofu (if you can stomach it), beans, chicken, fish....Cut out or minimize the really fatty things like bacon grease and butter and integrate more whole foods into your meals. Things like fruits and veggies (without a lot of added oil or fat), beans, legumes, and basically anything that doesn't come in a box. If the box has more than ten things listed and you don't know what half of them are, then don't eat it. Added sugars, salts, and chemicals are in almost everything. You have to read labels. Exercise. It helps a lot, but you are what you eat. I am sure that if you make just a few small changes to your diet, you will see results.
  • mes1119
    mes1119 Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    First of all you need to change your mentality. It shouldn't ever be a diet! It is a lifestyle change and everything is okay in moderation. Let yourself to have a cheat meal every so often (in moderation) to help with the boredom. As for the exercise, you may not b eating enough to fuel your body (or overestimating how much you're burning).

I suggest weight lifting! Keep at it, it takes time :)
  • jenalderman
    jenalderman Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    If a hypocaloric diet is not working for you something is wrong. If its not biological its psychological. Meaning, if your body isn't the problem, you are. Calories in < calories out = weight loss.

I too find this just a little hypercritical. Even those of us who have been successful at weight loss hit plateaus when lower calories do not equal weight loss. There are all kinds of studies out there regarding the impact of metabolism on this equation. I know this is very contraversial but.....here goes. When I plateau, I INCREASE my daily calories to the MAXIMUM allowed for a few day. Barring the holidays (not a good example)..... this has never failed to reset my body, kick up my metabolism, and start the weight dropping again. Also, I find that mixing up your exercise helps. I run...it's what I enjoy. When my weight loss stalls I will shift from distance to speed work for a week or so. The extra kick in my heart rate helps that all important metabolism factor. I also agree very much with all those who suggest lots and lots of WATER. It helps keep all the bad stuff that you don't want hanging around flushed out of your body. I also use my protein and fiber as minimums instead of maximums. This is two fold really. My body wants these things. It can actually USE these things for the good of my weight loss. It also leaves me far fewer calories to use on the "junk" that my body doesn't want or need (even though my mind sometimes does).
    If all else fails....talk to your doctor! There may an underlying condition causing the stall.

Good luck on your journey!
  • steffiejoe
    steffiejoe Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I know the Zummos boudain is good but I would stay away from it for a while!!

I would eat more green leafy vegatables . Not sure what your sodium intake is like but I would watch my sodium intake . I would try and eat mainly whole foods. Pay attention to your carb intake. My typically intake is about 100-110 daily. I don't need more and I feel great , have losts of energy , am maintaining my goal weight and my BF is dropping.
  • SaketoKim
    SaketoKim Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Something is going wrong here....
  • DuckDuckDuck
    Options
    Wheat gives me migraines. I try to read everything. It is hard to go out and eat.