Replies

• tanyaMax
    tanyaMax Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    bump
  • hope516
    hope516 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Add a little bit of sea salt to both sides, and bake on both sides until done. Then sprinkle the top with a bunch of cilantro and squeeze half a lime over it!! deeeeelicious!
  • cwunderlich
    cwunderlich Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I baked some the other night with a spritze of olive oil and some Mrs. Dash - garlic and herb......delicious.
  • 1CALIJIBARO2
    Options
    squeeze lemon (let set up to 20min if time allowed) on a sheet of aluminum foil place fish season as u wish (include?? tyme, basil, ginger...either) super thin cuts of bell pepper (of ur choice) super thin cuts of onions shredded white cheese (of ur choice) cilantro (coriander) and small shrimp.
    *preheat pan w/ small amount of water to a boil (just enough to cover bottom of pan)
    fold aluminum foil (to lock in vapor)
    place fish in pan
    cover pan w/ lid
    let pan accumulate heat
    reduce flame to very low
    cook 7-10 minutes (depending on size of thickness)
    remove from pan
    place on dish (do not remove foil)
    serve w/rice of ur choice (or however u choose)
    and last "ENJOY"
  • juliekaiser1988
    juliekaiser1988 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Gibbyup: You're right... forgot that one- and we just had it the other night!!

Tilapia Fish Tacos:

Rub fish with chili infused oil, season with taco seasoning. Pan fry 3 minutes, each side.

Then I make Cilantro-Lime Slaw and serve the fish on a corn tortilla with a nice scoop of the slaw.

Cilantro Lime Slaw:

Lots of chopped fresh cilantro
    bag of slaw mix
    1/2 cup light miracle whip
    1/2 cup Fage 0% yogurt
    juice of 3 large limes.
    S & P to taste
  • abcmiah
    abcmiah Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I just tried this new marinade recipe for salmon and I bet it would taste really good on tilapia too.

2tbsp Balsamic vinegar
    2tbsp Brown sugar
    2tbsp Chili sauce (I used sriracha)
    1/8 tsp Cajun seasoning
    1/8tsp Ground ginger (or equivalent fresh ginger)
    1 clove minced garlic

Then I just pan fried mine using nonfat cooking spray to keep it from sticking. It sounds like it would be super spicy but it only has a little kick. :)
  • lou1618
    lou1618 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I bake tilapia in the oven..drizzle little olive oil on both side of fish. place on foil pan, top with oinions and bell peppers slices ,season with salt , pepper and cavender's seasoning..baked cover for 12 mins , uncover and cook another 10-15 mins. or to your likeness. yummy!
  • easfahl
    easfahl Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I always just sear it in a pan then baked it with lots of lemon juice, thinly-sliced bell pepper, halved cherry tomatoes (this adds tons of flavor), and whatever seasoning I have on hand.

I like the idea of the spicy cajun one and the italian one. I'll try those next.
  • tiktacsr
    Options
    bump:smile:
  • HappyMommyTo2
    Options
    Spray a small pan, add 2 filets and top with salsa, roast on 350F for about 15 minutes, or until fish flakes.
  • southernyankee716
    Options
    We've been alternating between boneless, skinless chicken breasts and tilapia. My favorite seasoning is Chef Paul Prudhomme’s Magic Seasoning. We'll sprinkle on a little extra virgin olive oil followed by the seasoning and sometimes onions, wrap in foil and cook on the George Foreman grill for 5-7 minutes. Delicious! We usually pair it with mixed veggies or tomato and cucumber slices :happy:
  • HappyMommyTo2
    Options
    Fish tacos are so yummy!
    Gibbyup: You're right... forgot that one- and we just had it the other night!!

Tilapia Fish Tacos:

Rub fish with chili infused oil, season with taco seasoning. Pan fry 3 minutes, each side.

Then I make Cilantro-Lime Slaw and serve the fish on a corn tortilla with a nice scoop of the slaw.

Cilantro Lime Slaw:

Lots of chopped fresh cilantro
    bag of slaw mix
    1/2 cup light miracle whip
    1/2 cup Fage 0% yogurt
    juice of 3 large limes.
    S & P to taste
  • jipsybird
    jipsybird Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Something I've liked to do is wrap it in some some waxed paper (cut a heart shape out big enough for the tilapia and some veggies to go on half then cover with the other half and crimp the edges).
    Baste the waxed paper with some butter or olive oil, put on your veggies (I usually julienne some carrots, celery, red/green pepper, and a little fennel), top with your tilapia. You can top that with just a little pad of butter sprinkled with a touch of basil. Then cover with the other half of the heart and crimp the edges. Bake it in the oven at 400 degree F, about 15 minutes. The paper will brown and puff up. Being sealed in the paper steams the fish, making it tender and oh so delicious!

There are a bunch of recipes out there for this style of cooking. Look up tilapia en papillote. I just saw one with some zucchini and feta cheese...

Think I'm gonna have to go buy tilapia now.... :)

When I'm short on time, I also like to just cook it on the stove top with a little lemon pepper. Served with some rice and steamed veggies.
  • Caged_Heat
    Caged_Heat Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    If I can piggyback onto this thread, how do you buy Tilapia? I see it in the frozen food aisle but can you get it fresh? If you get it frozen, what brands are best in the U.S.? Thanks!
  • artgeek09
    Options
    I've only ever seen it frozen where I shop. Can't remember the brand name that I get at the moment, but it comes in a clear plastic bag with red labeling, and has 12 individually wrapped 4 oz. servings.
  • yavila
    yavila Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Cajun Tilapia with Pineapple garnishing with Avocado and Tomatoe Salad.

Tilapia:
    1. Season Tilapia with Cajun Spices
    2. Spray Pan with spray on olive oil.
    3. Cook tilapia each side for 5 minutes or until flaky.
    4. Add a squeeze of lemon if you desire and Set tilapia aside
    5. Place a 1/2 tablespoon of Pineapple jam on top of each tilapia

Avocado Tomato Salad
    1. Dice Avocado and Tomato into cubes.
    2. Season with salt, pepper, lemon juice and cilantro if you like.
    3. Toss and serve with fish

The spicy sweet mixture is delicious and the avocado salad quite refreshing
  • cindaboo1
    cindaboo1 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    bump! I love tilapia!!
    I wrap mine in foil with a little opening at top, sprinkled with lemon juice, parsley, whatever seasonings im feelng that day, and a little margarine. Bake in oven or on the grill until flaky. YUMMY!!!
  • dogmom228
    Options
    Try this... http://www.jillianmichaels.com/fitness-and-diet-tips/Tilapia-recipe?xid=nl_LosingItWithJillianMichaels_20120215 Jillian has a really good recipe here. I had something similar to it at IHOP (same seasonings, anyway) last week. REALLY good.
  • lelasutt
    lelasutt Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    bump
  • becoming_a_new_me
    becoming_a_new_me Posts: 1,860 Member
    Options
    My quick and easy go to is wrap the fillets in tin foil topped with lemon slices, dill weed, pressed garlic, strips of red, yellow, orange, and green peppers and onions. Bake at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes. Top with cilantro So flavorful!!

IMG_1539-1.jpg