Always FREEZING since starting this diet. Anyone else?

Options

Replies

• sheepysaccount
    sheepysaccount Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Well, you need extra energy to heat up your body. Eating at a deficit (as most of us here do) means less energy to burn so it goes where it's needed. As soon as you go into "maintaining" mode you'll be warmer again :)
  • Elizabeth_M
    Elizabeth_M Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    I'm freezing more than ever since losing 13 pounds. I remember being cold all the time, then when i gained weight, not as much. Now, when I go to bed at night, I am clothed like no tomorrow. Sexy!! I wear fleece PJ pants, a tank top, a long sleeved PJ shirt, a fleece long sleeved shirt over that AND then fluffy huge socks. I am a sight to behold I tell ya!!

I've even contemplated wearing a hat to bed.
  • HotCuppaJo
    HotCuppaJo Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    I'm like that too. It might be stupid, but I keep thinking it's the quarts of ice water I'm drinking all day?

I agree with this^^^^ I've noticed I've been a LOT colder, but attributed it to the water.
  • ChristiCare
    ChristiCare Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I would have it checked again. while loosing weight your metabolism is changing which is connected with your thyroid. your tyroid also runs your thermistat, I have been on thyroid medication for 20+ years and it hadn't changed much. but just out of the blue it decided to stop producing all together. I am always cold, in the summer it can be 90 in the house and you will see me with a blanket..
  • LinFarnholz
    LinFarnholz Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I am cold too! I was wondering the same...
  • wanetam
    wanetam Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    This happened to me as well. I started taking Cayenne pepper pills and that really helped. They are found in the vitamin section or in any health food store. They work wonders, just make sure you take them with food : )
  • mamasyd
    mamasyd Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Let me thrown my two cents in as to how much colder I am these days! At my largest (385 pounds) I could go outside in just about any temperature and feel fine - with or without a sweater or jacket. Now I not only need a heavy jacket through the winter, but have learned the joys of long johns!! I found that, even during the summer, I needed to keep a sweater with me because I was often too cold indoors when the air conditioning was running at a level that kept others comfy.

For me, I know it's simply the loss of all that insulation and the readjustment to my new body size. I just had a complete blood panel done and everything is fine with my thyroid and metabolic functions. You know, wearing a coat more often is not a bad price to pay for a more healthy me!
  • kfd1098
    Options
    I have always been the person who is hot at work. Could never stay cool. Now I wear a sweater most of the day and am always cold. But it is something I'll learn to live with as I don't want my "insulation" back :happy:
  • AmberJslimsAWAY
    AmberJslimsAWAY Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    I am ALWAYS cold now. It sucks....
  • ChantalD75
    ChantalD75 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    Same thing here. I used to sleep with the fan on all winter. Now I spoon my boston terrier for warmth.

LOL! I spoon my chihuahua for warmth!

ME TOO!!!! LOL
  • saraemily5
    saraemily5 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    When your body is in ketosis you will be cold. Ketosis is caused by lowering your carb intake. Generally, the human body will go into ketosis when it is getting less than 100 gms. of carbs a day. Look up 'side effects of ketosis' and being cold is one of them. carbs help you stay warm. However, when you are in ketosis it means your body is burning fat instead of carbs for energy... so that is a good thing. Other signs of ketosis- bad breath, metalic taste in mouth, I know there are more but those are a couple I remember. People on the atkins diet are in ketosis if they're doing it right, as well as people on any diet that consume less than 100 gms of carbs a day. and that's a general number. some people have to consume less than 50 to be in ketosis, others, less than 150. Every body goes to ketosis at different stages. Good luck!!
  • rugbyphreak
    rugbyphreak Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    instead of drinking ice water, try hot water with a few slices of lemon, lime, or orange. you can experiment with iron too. try iron rich foods first before you look into the pills. the pills do strange things to your insides that i'd rather not say in public...
  • Sunny_Lexie
    Options
    Same thing.
    Thyroid and iron are perfect...
  • baloney17
    baloney17 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I've lost 62 lbs and once I lost my first 20 I was noticing a change in how I was never feeling hot. Once I lost 30 lbs I was layering my clothes more. Now I can't walk around the house at night without my socks, slippers, fleece pajamas, and a blanket. My fiance is also noticing that he's not as warm anymore and he's down 25lbs. I truly believe it has everything to do with the loss of fat. Your insulation has decreased. You're definitely NOT alone on this one!
  • Kina7381
    Kina7381 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I've only lost 14 lbs, but I get so much colder now too!! I kept wondering why it was happening, glad I'm not the only one.
  • habsfan802
    habsfan802 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    well I can say that I still sleep with the fan on me and am still always hot ... but look at me I am pretty hot
  • AZDizzy
    AZDizzy Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    My hands and feet are now meat popcicles.
  • NoExcuseTina
    NoExcuseTina Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    If you are eating less meat, you could have low iron
  • sllm1
    sllm1 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Options
    Thyroid under control (it was low), iron is fine, and I'm freezing with ya. I drink room temperature water -not iced-but I still think it has something to do with the water intake.
  • OLFATUG
    OLFATUG Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    Same here. At 256 I was always hot, at 163 I was always cold. I'm now 185 and moving back down to 163.... and looking forward to wearing jackets at work! ;)