by MFP standards, i'm almost obese...

Options
HI! I'm Sean, and I'm an alcoholic... oh wait, wrong meeting?! Darn! :D I'm 26 6'3", 221lbs and apparently the MFP standards for BMI say that I'm almost obese... that is not the reason that I want to lose weight though.

1) I have never been this heavy. I was always the guy that was "bean pole" in almost ever sense of the word!
2) My doctors have told me that my frame isn't suited for the extra weight and that if I was to lose some, my knees wouldn't hurt so bad.
3) I look too much like my Grandfather when he was my age. And he died from complications of Diabetes because he was +400lbs. I cannot let myself get that way.
4) Army says that I'm over weight...

So any help/advice/direction will be greatfully appriciated!

Sean

Replies

• jmjatlanta
    Options
    BMI number is a bad number to go by. It doesn't take in enough factors.

Let's have some fun and calculate your BMR. Can you guess or have you measured your body fat percentage?

Would you say you're:

Sedentary (little or no exercise, desk job)
    Lightly Active (Little daily activity & light exercise 3-5 days per week)
    Moderately Active (moderately active daily life and moderate exercise 3-5 days per week)
    Very Active (physically demanding lifestyle and hard exercise or sports 6-7 days per week)
    Extremely Active (hard daily exercise or sports and physical job)
  • zipperhead76
    zipperhead76 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Per my profession, I'm a desk jockey, but I would say that I'm at least lightly active.
  • chauser1022
    Options
    Don't you hate the whole BMI thing? Beanpole is not a good thing. :)
  • shedoos
    shedoos Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Don't put any labels on it - I think those to only get in the way.

Welcome - you're in the right place for support and accountability! Surround yourself with supportive MFP friends and you'll be on your way to (almost) "bean-pole" status once again!!
  • garbanzalo
    garbanzalo Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    BMI is a bad measure. Use body fat estimates. I think there is something called a Dexa scan that provides the most accurate estimate of body fat.
  • jmjatlanta
    Options
    Per my profession, I'm a desk jockey, but I would say that I'm at least lightly active.

Care to take a guess at your body fat percentage? There are websites that will help you guess, if you take some measurements. Body fat percentage, while not a complete picture, is a much better number than BMI. From the numbers given so far, along with BF%, you can get some numbers that help you plan.

You may check local gyms. They may have an ultrasound method of calculating body fat percentage. It is somewhat accurate if done right.
  • zipperhead76
    Options

Bean pole isn't a good thing, but that's how i always used to be...

Welcome - you're in the right place for support and accountability! Surround yourself with supportive MFP friends and you'll be on your way to (almost) "bean-pole" status once again!!

Thanks! That's what I'm hoping for!
  • zipperhead76
    Options

Care to take a guess at your body fat percentage? There are websites that will help you guess, if you take some measurements. Body fat percentage, while not a complete picture, is a much better number than BMI. From the numbers given so far, along with BF%, you can get some numbers that help you plan.

You may check local gyms. They may have an ultrasound method of calculating body fat percentage. It is somewhat accurate if done right.

The last time that my BF% was done, by the Army, it was close to 24% or so...
  • jmjatlanta
    Options

At 221 pounds, and 24% body fat, according to the Katch-McArdle formula, your Base Metabolic Rate is 2015. So if you were in a coma, you'd need 2015 calories to maintain your weight.

With a "lightly active" lifestyle and average diet, it is estimated that you need 2620 to 2821 calories to maintain your weight. If you wanted to lose weight, most would consider a 10 to 20% reduction in calories to be "safe."

Using MyFitnessPal.com will help you get an idea of what you're taking in. Carbohydrates are usually the problem, sometimes fat. If you are like I was, I was eating way too much sugar. Slowly reducing my sugar intake was a big step toward getting my numbers in line.

A process such as controlling weight is not an exact science, nor is it guesswork. Find the right balance, keep the home and office stocked with healthy foods that meet your calorie requirements. Ask questions here. Don't be afraid to send me a message directly. While I'm no expert, I can tell you my experiences.

You'll get there. And if you do it right you may find the lifestyle that makes you WANT to constantly improve all areas of your life. That's what is happening to me.
  • zipperhead76
    Options

At 221 pounds, and 24% body fat, according to the Katch-McArdle formula, your Base Metabolic Rate is 2015. So if you were in a coma, you'd need 2015 calories to maintain your weight.

With a "lightly active" lifestyle and average diet, it is estimated that you need 2620 to 2821 calories to maintain your weight. If you wanted to lose weight, most would consider a 10 to 20% reduction in calories to be "safe."

Using MyFitnessPal.com will help you get an idea of what you're taking in. Carbohydrates are usually the problem, sometimes fat. If you are like I was, I was eating way too much sugar. Slowly reducing my sugar intake was a big step toward getting my numbers in line.

A process such as controlling weight is not an exact science, nor is it guesswork. Find the right balance, keep the home and office stocked with healthy foods that meet your calorie requirements. Ask questions here. Don't be afraid to send me a message directly. While I'm no expert, I can tell you my experiences.

You'll get there. And if you do it right you may find the lifestyle that makes you WANT to constantly improve all areas of your life. That's what is happening to me.

That's awesome! Thank you!
  • chauser1022
    Options

Oh I hope that didn't sound mean.
  • zipperhead76
    Options

Oh I hope that didn't sound mean.

:) No it didn't sound mean at all. It's just that I'd like to be closer to a bean pole then to where I am right now.
  • hooligansmom
    hooligansmom Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I was a Chairborne Ranger for a while during my service, and it is really surprising that you can gain so much weight. Some units' PT program really isn't enough to burn off the weight gaining calories, especially if the snack truck regularly stops at your building.

Good luck with your weight loss journey!