Question for all you jogging experts please.

Options
2»

Replies

• bellatrixed
    bellatrixed Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    When i did Irish Step dancign we would do heel walks to strengthen those muscles, Worked on shin splits pretty well. It takes time, and looks ridiculous, but is possible.
  • davidsm39
    Options
    One tip my cousin gave me (she is a much more accomplished athlete than I ) is is that I was tying my shoes too tight. Easy fix. can't hurt and might help. Worked for me!
  • Tubby2Toned
    Tubby2Toned Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    It could be that your ankles just need to get stronger. If you have never run before, or have not run in a long time, the tendons and muscles in your lower legs, ankles, and feet may have gotten weak and need time to adapt and strengthen. Only time and more training within your current ability can fix that. They will get stronger though.

You could try barefoot walking and running as both are excellent ways to strengthen those muscles, tendons, and bones.

Also, see this for good running technique:
    http://www.goodformrunning.com/
    http://barefootrunning.fas.harvard.edu/

This.

Including running barefoot. It has changed everything for me. There are "glove" shoes made for this. I'll never go back to shoes.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I have to agree that it sounds like shin splints. They always affected me at the area you are describing. When I was doing gymnastics the trainer would tape me from ankle to about halfway up my shin.

Shin splints are usually either caused by repetitive hard impact activities on a hard surface (running vault in bare feet on concrete, for example), trying to do too much too quickly (starting to run and doing it every day or for too much distance) or the wrong shoes (bad support). Frankly, it doesn't sound to me like you're really going to far but you might try cutting down your runs to 3 separate one minute jogs instead of 1 three minute jog and see if that helps. Make sure you aren't running more often than every other day and if you are doing high impact activities (30 DS or other aerobics, for example) on the days between, you'll need to pick and choose which is more important to you and limit any to every other day.

If these things don't help, then it probably comes down to needing new shoes. Keep in mind that getting professionally fitted doesn't cost anything. It's a free service the running store provides to its customers to sell them the proper shoe. Find which kind of shoe you need then see if they have a clearance rack.

I can tell you, when I started running last year I used a nearly brand new pair of Adidas I'd purchased at Costco. I had knee issues almost immediately even though I wasn't really running that much yet and was doing more walking. I switched to an older pair of cross trainers and the knee problems went away immediately. Once I was really running longer distances (about 3 miles) I went to the shoe store and was fitted for a pair of running shoes. I've really not had any issues since.
  • Epicmum54
    Options
    LIke in real estate (location, location, location), running is shoes, shoes, shoes...as already advised above. Find a shoe store that's clearing out their old stock for new, sometimes you can get a pair for 50% less! The Running Room in my Town clears out the old stock every spring...I have it on my calendar because I REFUSE to pay full price for a pair of runners!! Also, as mentioned above, try not to run on concrete, there is no give to it. Running on grass is good but also hard on the ankles as there are imperfections in the ground and takes a bit of balancing (like trail running). If you can, run early in the morning, with light traffic and run on the road that's paved with asphalt...as it has more give. Treadmills offer a lot of cushion but, quite frankly, it's boring as hell and why wouldn't you want to run outside in the fresh air (which for some of us Canucks can be -25!!) Good luck!! As you continue running you will get stronger - guaranteed!!
  • Skeemer118
    Skeemer118 Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    get checked out for proper shoes. I started @ 400+ lbs. and give credit to 2 things. 1) having the right type of shoe for my feet 2) being stubborn as hell and wanting to prove all the doubters wrong.

Yes! =) I'm singing Toby Keith's "How do you like me now?" just for you! Lol - You rock!
  • Skeemer118
    Skeemer118 Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    i found when i did jogging that when i ran on hard concrete it burned like you have described, so in order to "break" me into jogging without the pain i started on grass something with a softer surface..

might help worth a try...

good luck!

I've read that the hardest dirt/rocks are STILL better for your knees & joints than concrete or ashphalt. Maybe ^their^ advice will help you.
  • mrFerris
    mrFerris Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. A lot for me to think about there and a lot of things to try. I will try to find a sports shop that will fit me up but , mainly because I have never looked for one, I am not aware of shops that give that kind of service here in England. English shops are not as good on the service as other countries seem to be. The last time I bought a pair of trainers I told them I was going to start up jogging and was pointed in the direction of the trainers with a 'try them on and see if they feel ok' comment! I have to be honest, I didn't even know that there were different types of trainers. How do I tell the difference between running and cross trainers?

In the meantime I have the other advice to think about from loosening my laces to shortening the distance to running on grass ... So much. Thanks.
  • Aperture_Science
    Aperture_Science Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I am not aware of shops that give that kind of service here in England.

General sports shops like Sports Direct will not offer this service. You will need a shop specific to running. Do a little surfing and you'll find your local running shop but there are national chains such as "Up and Running".
    How do I tell the difference between running and cross trainers?

There is no easy system since all manufacturers use different names for their models but running shops usually do not sell cross trainers (or at least only sell a limited range) and would not risk their reputation selling a pair of cross trainers to a runner.

Best wishes.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I have to be honest, I didn't even know that there were different types of trainers. How do I tell the difference between running and cross trainers?
    You definitely don't want to look for cross trainers. I was just using my situation as an example of how the wrong shoe can cause problems. :smile: Cross trainers aren't running shoes, they're made to be used across a wide variety of sports and are just the trainers/sneakers I had purchased in the past for general mucking about and ended up wearing for the first two or three months when I was just starting to run.

Most of the time, the box the shoes come in will tell you if they are a "running" shoe or a "cross trainer." As the other poster noted, a dedicated running store shouldn't be selling cross trainers in the first place, so you shouldn't have to worry about it.
  • PixieGoddess
    PixieGoddess Posts: 1,833 Member
    Options
    I have to back up the comments on barefoot running - I just bought yet another pair of Vibram Five Fingers last night, on clearance from REI for $60. I LOVE barefoot running - I used to have a lot of back pain when I run and now it's GONE!

Ok, now that I'm done plugging that, some advice:
    -Please please please do NOT stretch BEFORE running!!!! Have you ever put a rubber band in the freezer and then tried to stretch it? Want that happening with your tendons? Use "active" or "dynamic" stretching before workouts, such as arm swings, jumping jacks, high knees, butt kicks, etc. You can find plenty of suggestions and videos online. The point is to use motion to warm up your muscles, with a gentle stretching component. After you've worked out and your muscles are all warm and pliable, THEN do static stretches.

-Since you're running on a good surface, it's more likely that you're doing too much too fast. Try doing a little less, and frankly if they're hurting this bad right now, you might try just walking for a while to give them a break.

-Since you are already already having problems, try getting a roller for your shins. Again, plenty of info and videos online.

-This suggestion is from reading, not personal experience, but apparently shin splints can also be caused by too long strides. So maybe try taking shorter steps? Again, it's hearsay, but I read that if you want to increase your speed, you should increase your turn-over rate (number of steps) rather than your stride length.

Hope this helps! Feels better! :flowerforyou:
  • Candlelight1990
    Options
    When I started running a year ago this happened me and my shins were so sore after every time for a few weeks or more. I thought it was my running or my runners but it could be just getting used to it. I still have my same runners and have no problem now. Just make sure to run on the balls of your feet and not your heels.
  • tappae
    tappae Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I would echo the two posters above and say that form is the most important issue when avoiding pain while running. I haven't looked at the websites they suggested, but I'm sure that would be a great place to start. Also, I don't know if England has public libraries like here in the states, but try and read "Chi Running" by Danny Dreyer. He's an ultramarathoner that often wins his age group. He has a website, too (chirunning.com).

Shoes are important, but the main thing is that they be comfortable. Really high quality shoes like everyone here is suggesting might lessen the pain, only to have it show up somewhere else. If your form is poor and the shoes allow you to run comfortably with poor form, they can actually increase your chances of injury.

I used to get a lot of shin splints about 15 years ago. As I continued to run, they eventually went away. What I believe was causing them was putting my feet down heel-first. Are you striking with your heel first and then the rest of your foot? If so, that forces the small muscles on the front of your lower leg to lift your foot repeatedly for the entire time you're running. That's a lot of work for little muscles. Instead, if you try and land on the balls of your feet, you won't be working them out as much. You will also be lessening the impact to all of your joints. This is the benefit to barefoot running that the above posters have mentioned. If you try and strike with your heel first when barefoot it will hurt so bad that you'll have to stop doing it. Really good shoes will allow you to continue striking heel-first comfortably and you will continue to get shin splints.