Always FREEZING since starting this diet. Anyone else?

Options
124»

Replies

• tenax
    tenax Posts: 97
    Options
    whenever i lose a good chunk of weight, i get cold easier..i chalked it up to getting rid of insulation:)
  • ak_in_ak
    ak_in_ak Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    Me too! The only thing I can attribute mine to is that I work out and sweat a lot and perhaps that's how I get chilled down? I shower right after the workout and I feel warm but wow,, as soon as I'm out and dressed I'm freezing cold for 2-3 hours at least.

same for me, so cold after a workout!
  • CrystalFlury
    CrystalFlury Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I asked my dad the same question the other day. He's had experience with losing lots of weight and knows how the body reacts to changes in lifestyle. Losing weight causes you to become more lean, you're getting rid of the fat and producing more muscle. The more the lean you get the more efficient your internal thermostat will become.
  • Sqeekyjojo
    Sqeekyjojo Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Wow. That's a high temperature to feel cold at.

We're at around 54 degrees indoors, and that's warm. For my (super skinny) daughter as well.

I'd second the seeing your doctor.
  • Jme2012
    Jme2012 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Im constantly cold.. at times i cant control the shivers I put my head under the blankets. My apt is 69 degrees.. I shouldnt be freezing lol. At work i sit with the portable heater on me! I havent lost that much yet but I also attribute it to the water intake.
    I was always the HOT person, who always said, It is HOT In here ?? lol
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,223 Member
    Options
    I'm a lot colder as well. I still get plenty warm doing outside activity in the cold like skiing, skating, and the like, but before I would be warm, hot even, no matter what. Less insulation would be a big part of it.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,223 Member
    Options
    I welcome the change in the summer since I used to sweat so bad that I couldn't wear makeup. It was so embarassing! The winters are brutal now though since I live in Ontario Canada. No we don't use dog sleds :laugh: but it can get VERY cold. With the wind chill it can reach -40 Celsius. I used to be ok as long as I was bundled up but now I like to hibernate all winter if possible.

Get more active in the winter when outside. I am cold when just standing around, but if I get out crosscountry skiing, skating, or even tobogganing with my son, I am fine, because I am active doing those things. Also, get better winter wear. Most of the stuff out there is made for fashion, but insulation. I really don't care about fashion, I want a coat that is well designed to keep me warn, ie. A good amount of quality insulation (down, thinsulate or the like) an good ability to keep the wind from blowing through so those insulations keep a good layer of warmed air.
  • shaj316
    shaj316 Posts: 161
    Options
    maybe poor blood circulation? not sure what might cause that...
  • cathylord
    cathylord Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I feel cold all the time when I'm not moving around. I used to be warm all the time but now I light the gas log and huddle around it in the evenings. I keep the thermostat at 70 which is the lowest I can tolerate. My husband complains I'm now stealing the covers.
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    I've heard that strength training and increasing your lean body mass can help improve this, but I have a low body fat % and a lot of lean muscle and I am ALWAYS cold, so I don't think that's true for me.

Probably the only thing I miss about being obese is the built-in insulation it provided.
  • jdhosier
    jdhosier Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Yes, I have felt cold much more often than I did before I lost 75 lbs. To top it off, my wife is going through menopause and now feels hotter than she ever has. It is a real role reversal for us. I want a fire going and the heat turned up and she just rolls her eyes and turns the heat down. It is pretty funny, actually.
  • Mbrower158
    Options
    Studies show that drinking more than 8 glasses of water a day adds no more nutritional or scientific benefit. Try sticking to 8. However, I know the feeling. My fingers and toes are always freezing now.
  • Inlet
    Inlet Posts: 135
    Options
    I was constantly cold when I first started losing weight... Used heated blankets (in Houston!) Sweats, and multiple hot showers a day just to function. (wool coats all day at school) It became ridiculous. Not to sound like snake oil salesman, but weight lifting about every other day as heavy as I could, and cutting my cardio to around 1.5 hrs per week has freed me from all that. Last night I didn't use the heating blanket... And the house was 73degrees! Normally that's frigid to me!
  • babybossy
    babybossy Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I think it's a simple metabolism issue. When you eat more, your metabolism burns hotter (thus the feeling of being hot). When you start decreasing your calorie load, your metabolism slows, thus feeling colder. My hubby always feels very hot when he's had an overeating binge and cold when he cuts his calorie intake. Of course, you should always rule out medical issues but since that has panned out, I think it's just due to the reduction in calories.
  • barbergirl28
    barbergirl28 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I am blaming the lack of insulation. Since I started this little "get healthy" journey I have dropped my body fat percenntage by 5.4 percent. And right now... unless I am working out... I am always cold. However, upon reading the comments, I think the body going into ketosis is a good explanation as well. After all, to stick into a deficit, the carbs are limited. But, at least be reassured that you are not alone!