BBQ help required

Options
WillyG
WillyG Posts: 80
I am having a BBQ party the long weekend in July and need some healthy ideas.

Replies

• Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    Guacamole and Veggie Chips.

Fish (salmon)

Hummus and veggies.
  • KaitieBug
    KaitieBug Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    This is one of my favorites, it's super easy!! I found it on allrecipes.com, such a great website!! You may want to up the garlic, salt and pepper a bit though, to add more flavor.

Beer Lime Grilled Chicken

INGREDIENTS
    1 lime, juiced
    1 (12 fluid ounce) can light colored beer
    1 teaspoon honey
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
    Salt and pepper
    4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves

DIRECTIONS
    In a bowl, mix the lime juice, beer, honey, garlic, cilantro, and salt and pepper until the honey dissolves. Pour the mixture over the chicken, cover and marinate for 30 minutes.
    Preheat an outdoor grill for medium heat and lightly oil grate.
    Remove chicken from marinade and shake off excess; discard remaining marinade. Grill chicken until tender and juices run clear, about 7 minutes per side.

Nutritional Information
    Servings Per Recipe: 4

Amount Per Serving

Calories: 182

Total Fat: 2.9g
    Cholesterol: 67mg
    Sodium: 160mg
    Total Carbs: 7g
    Dietary Fiber: 0.5g
    Protein: 25.2g
  • kitty_cat023
    Options
    chicken shishkabobs are great, some salad (where you add the dressing yourself), maybe a bit of garlic bread (but make it yourself on buns that you know the calories of, and you can control how much butter you are putting on each piece), corn on the cob (only 80 calories for a medium cob, no butter), and if you exercise and have the calories, maybe steak!!
  • csingleton24
    csingleton24 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    This is one of my favorites, it's super easy!! I found it on allrecipes.com, such a great website!! You may want to up the garlic, salt and pepper a bit though, to add more flavor.

INGREDIENTS
    1 lime, juiced
    1 teaspoon honey
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    Salt and pepper

DIRECTIONS
    In a bowl, mix the lime juice, beer, honey, garlic, cilantro, and salt and pepper until the honey dissolves. Pour the mixture over the chicken, cover and marinate for 30 minutes.
    Remove chicken from marinade and shake off excess; discard remaining marinade. Grill chicken until tender and juices run clear, about 7 minutes per side.

Nutritional Information

Amount Per Serving

That sounds so awesome! I'm making that this weekend. Thanks for the recipe!
  • WillyG
    Options

INGREDIENTS
    1 lime, juiced
    1 teaspoon honey
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    Salt and pepper

DIRECTIONS

Nutritional Information

Amount Per Serving

Looks like a yummy recipe. I'm going to try it out.
  • WillyG
    Options
    chicken shishkabobs are great, some salad (where you add the dressing yourself), maybe a bit of garlic bread (but make it yourself on buns that you know the calories of, and you can control how much butter you are putting on each piece), corn on the cob (only 80 calories for a medium cob, no butter), and if you exercise and have the calories, maybe steak!!

I did not realize that corn on the cob was so low in calories.
  • csingleton24
    csingleton24 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Oh, one other thought. For dessert you can grill pineapple or peaches and add Dannon's Light and Fit Vanilla yogurt. That's pretty good and healthy, too!
  • WillyG
    Options
    Grilled pineapple sounds good.
  • ilike2moveit
    ilike2moveit Posts: 776 Member
    Options

INGREDIENTS
    1 lime, juiced
    1 teaspoon honey
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    Salt and pepper

DIRECTIONS

Nutritional Information

Amount Per Serving

That sounds delicious thanks for sharing.
  • jennarandhayes
    jennarandhayes Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    We did a bbq last weekend with grilled salmon, vege kabobs, greek salad, and wild rice. It was super yummy!
  • WillyG
    Options
    We did a bbq last weekend with grilled salmon, vege kabobs, greek salad, and wild rice. It was super yummy!

Another great idea.
  • kickle88
    kickle88 Posts: 22
    Options
    make burgers with ground turkey and use whole wheat buns or better yet use a pita
    veggies and low cal dip or hummus
    grilled veggies of all kinds
    baked pita chips and salsa
    fruit salad
    strawberries with fat free cool whip
    grilled pineapple and apples
    kabobs - chicken and veggies
  • WillyG
    Options
    make burgers with ground turkey and use whole wheat buns or better yet use a pita
    veggies and low cal dip or hummus
    grilled veggies of all kinds
    baked pita chips and salsa
    fruit salad
    strawberries with fat free cool whip
    grilled pineapple and apples
    kabobs - chicken and veggies

Sounds good. What type of grilled veggies? I've grilled peppers and zucchini before and love them.
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Another nice touch is to slice up peppers (green, red, and yelllow if all colors are available to you) and onions (I prefer sweeter ones, like the Walla Walla or the Mayan, but there may be others in your region that you prefer)

I have a saute pan that is made for use on the grill-- has holes in the bottom--they are not that spendy. I have seen them at Safeway, as well as another store (Fred Meyer/owned by Kroger) for $9.99. I spray a little cooking spray on the pan, and you can spay a little oil or "Can't believe it's not Butter" spray on the veggies so they will brown up easier, or watch them closely and go without.

You can add pepper or other spices, depending on what suits your taste.

When I make these, no matter how much I make, it seems we could use more. :heart: :heart: They are VERY popular. I have friends with a great yard, pool and barbecue, who HATE to do the food, so they invite me up to do the food. I have the best part. I get to shop and barbecue, :drinker: :drinker: and they get to pay for the food and do the cleanup. My friend Dave will eat anything I barbecue as long as he gets his grilled veggies. His wife says he eats more veggies because of my cooking than he ever does when it is just the two of them.:laugh:

If you grill the corn on the cob, by the way, to avoid burned spots and uneven cooking, I suggest wrapping it in foil and turning often, and I know someone talked about cooking it without butter, but a little bit of butter does make it even YUMMMIER. A touch of sea salt it nice too.

The chicken recipe above this post sounds wonderful. I confess to being a steak enthusiast. When you consider there are only 170 calories in 4 ounces of New York steak, you can still enjoy a steak without doing too much damage to your caloric budget.

I hope you have a great barbecue!!!:flowerforyou:
  • WillyG
    Options
    Another nice touch is to slice up peppers (green, red, and yelllow if all colors are available to you) and onions (I prefer sweeter ones, like the Walla Walla or the Mayan, but there may be others in your region that you prefer)

I have a saute pan that is made for use on the grill-- has holes in the bottom--they are not that spendy. I have seen them at Safeway, as well as another store (Fred Meyer/owned by Kroger) for $9.99. I spray a little cooking spray on the pan, and you can spay a little oil or "Can't believe it's not Butter" spray on the veggies so they will brown up easier, or watch them closely and go without.

You can add pepper or other spices, depending on what suits your taste.

When I make these, no matter how much I make, it seems we could use more. :heart: :heart: They are VERY popular. I have friends with a great yard, pool and barbecue, who HATE to do the food, so they invite me up to do the food. I have the best part. I get to shop and barbecue, :drinker: :drinker: and they get to pay for the food and do the cleanup.

If you grill the corn on the cob, by the way, to avoid burned spots and uneven cooking, I suggest wrapping it in foil and turning often, and I know someone talked about cooking it without butter, but a little bit of butter does make it even YUMMMIER. A touch of sea salt it nice too.

The chicken recipe above this post sounds wonderful. I confess to being a steak enthusiast. When you consider there are only 170 calories in 4 ounces of New York steak, you can still enjoy a steak without doing too much damage to your caloric budget.

I hope you have a great barbecue!!!:flowerforyou:

Thanks for the tip with the bbq saute pan. I'm going out to buy one this weekend. Grilled steak in smaller portions sounds good. Would Filet Mignon be good too, I think there is very little fat marbelling thoughout it.
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    No reason you couldn't use filet mignon, unless you are worried about that big empty space in your wallet after you pay for it !!:laugh:

I had dinner less than an hour ago and now I am hungry for grilled veggies, :laugh: but it is really time for bed. I will have to dream of them, I guess.:yawn:
  • WillyG
    Options
    I buy it in bulk from Costco and cut it up myself and freeze it in ziplock baggies. I end up paying about $4 - $5 Canadian per steak that way. They do also sell the New York that way too. I should price it out.
  • chuseman
    chuseman Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Another great lean meat is Flank steak! i had 3oz and its only 152 calories!
  • WillyG
    Options
    I've never cooked flank before. Anyone have any recipies?
  • angelajiniel
    angelajiniel Posts: 115
    Options
    Asparagus is another great veggie for the grill. Toss them with a little olive oil, salt and pepper and either put them straight on the grill or in a foil packet - done in about 8 minutes. Same for cut up potatoes (these should be on for at least a half hour though). Corn comes out wonderfully by putting it straight on the grill in the husk, then husking it while still warm. You can soak it for about 1/2 hour in water first to keep the husk from burning too much, but it's REALLY good this way.

If you go with kabobs, the easiest way to do it for large groups is to keep the same things on a skewer. Do a few with chicken, a few with peppers, etc, then put it all on a platter. It's not quite as pretty, but that way everything gets done right and if someone doesn't like something, you don't have wasted food. You can also make a lot more with fewer skewers that way. And, if you do steak on a kabob, you have smaller pieces and don't feel like you have to eat a huge steak!

veggie trays are always good too, and a nice big fruit salad! peaches and pineapple are great on the grill, I've even heard of putting melon on the grill. Pairing a warm fruit with cool yogurt or a little bit of vanilla icecream is a really great dessert too.

Have fun and good luck!