BMR......ME AGAIN!!!

Options
2»

Replies

• alex6971
    alex6971 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Are you trying to lose weight? If not, eat your BMR. If yes, eat -250 calories for every 1/2 lb a week you intend to lose.

MFP doesn't let you go below 1200, so I think that you probably have it set at lose 1 lb per week, which translates to 1617.30-500 = 1117.30, which is less than 1200, so it rounds up.

1617.30 is my BMR before i x it by anything. I would say i am lightly active so 1617.30 x 1.375= 2223.7875.

So MFP now has given me 1460 to eat as i changed from -2lb a week to -1lb. I am eating too much or not enough?

You mentioned in your original post that you have a desk job, so you might want to count yourself as "sedentary" and then add in your swimming and other stuff as added exercise. I have almost the same stats as you, I'm 5'6", 24, and about 183, and I've been having really consistent success with my goal at 1600. (Ignore my diary for the past couple weeks, I've been on a logging break. No gains, though! =) It was just an experiment.)

Ahhh now i see where MFP has got the figures from. My BMR at sedentary is 1940.76 minus the 500 defecit gives you 1440 that MFP is now giving me. So does this mean i can also eat my exercise cals back on top of the 1440?

I am sorry to be a pain but i have suffered an eating disorder in the past and i want to make sure i am not starving my body while at the same time lose weight.
  • KareninCanada
    KareninCanada Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Ahhh now i see where MFP has got the figures from. My BMR at sedentary is 1940.76 minus the 500 defecit gives you 1440 that MFP is now giving me. So does this mean i can also eat my exercise cals back on top of the 1440?

I am sorry to be a pain but i have suffered an eating disorder in the past and i want to make sure i am not starving my body while at the same time lose weight.

Just follow MFP's calorie recommendation and you'll be all right :) Although a lot of the exercises calculate the calorie burn too high, so you don't necessarily have to eat every singe calorie.

If you want to double check things, this is a good calculator: http://www.exrx.net/Calculators/CalRequire.html
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Are you trying to lose weight? If not, eat your BMR. If yes, eat -250 calories for every 1/2 lb a week you intend to lose.

MFP doesn't let you go below 1200, so I think that you probably have it set at lose 1 lb per week, which translates to 1617.30-500 = 1117.30, which is less than 1200, so it rounds up.

1617.30 is my BMR before i x it by anything. I would say i am lightly active so 1617.30 x 1.375= 2223.7875.

So MFP now has given me 1460 to eat as i changed from -2lb a week to -1lb. I am eating too much or not enough?

You mentioned in your original post that you have a desk job, so you might want to count yourself as "sedentary" and then add in your swimming and other stuff as added exercise. I have almost the same stats as you, I'm 5'6", 24, and about 183, and I've been having really consistent success with my goal at 1600. (Ignore my diary for the past couple weeks, I've been on a logging break. No gains, though! =) It was just an experiment.)

Keep in mind most people arent truly sedentary. If you walk a lot at work or if you have a young child its recommended to be lightly active. Also the 500 calorie rule doesnt always work and you are better off taking 20%. The closer you are to your goal the more you need to eat.

Also eating below your bmr is not recomended as its an adaptive tool and it will cause it to slow down. So if your tdee is 2200 calories then aiming for 1750 is a good choice.
  • roro73
    roro73 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I just calculated your stats on MFP to give you an example...

To maintain your current weight you would need to eat 1950 calories a day...you can find this if you go back to your diary settings and set your goal to maintain your current weight instead of losing 1/2lb, 1lb or 2lbs per week.

Your BMR according to MFP is 1560 (this is just for basic life functions such as sleeping, breathing etc..no physical activity included)...you can find this under the "tools" tab at the top of the page.

So according to everything I've learned and what I'm doing, you can eat your BMR of 1560 and should make this the minimum of what you eat daily and still lose 3/4 of a pound a week without any exercise, however, if you exercise you add them to your diary and you choose whether you want to eat those calories back or not (if you don't eat them back, you'll lose more weight depending on the defecit...it takes a 3500 calorie defecit to lose 1lb). Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't, depends on how hungry I am. It is definitely a little confusing but in my opinion I think it's best to eat at or above your BMR if you want long term weight loss without damaging your metabolism.