Surgery or no surgery...that is the question!

Options

Replies

• sheddingmyfatsuit
    sheddingmyfatsuit Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I had vertical sleeve gastrectomy on 5/20/11 and have lost over 100 pounds since then. I am about halfway to my goal. I do not regret it in any thus far. Make sure you have a very good surgeon who provides good aftercare (support groups, etc).

One thing I heard over and over before I had surgery..."it's just a tool, you still have to do the work." I can tell you now on the other end, that is 100% true. I would say that for the first 4-5 months the surgery was doing most of the work for me. I couldn't eat much even if I wanted to. But over time you'll be able to eat a bit more (never as much as you once were able to). That's the point I hit the realization that what everyone said is right...the surgery is a tool and I have to do the work.

The surgery helps to curb my appetite and allows me to feel satisfied on less food. But I still have to choose the right foods and I still have to exercise. I work very hard at losing weight even with this surgery. And, yes, to an extent I resent any implication that this was "an easy way out". Don't tell me that when I'm out there sweating my butt off training for my first 5K or weight training with my trainer.

Surgery is a personal decision. I think as long as you have a good surgeon and go into it with reasonable expectations, there is no reason not to proceed.

Good luck to you!
  • pwittek10
    pwittek10 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    I have family members and friends that have done the surgery.
    It is not a quick fix, you still have to diet and exersise but they are loving their results.
    Good luck to you
  • marhattap
    marhattap Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I don't hold anyone at fault for having the bands or bypass surgery, it is really a journey only you can decide if it is best for you. 32 months ago I could barely walk from room to room (had a computer chair I would roll myself around the house on to get to the bathroom and kitchen) and had not left the house much in over 2 years. I had ate myself to 560 lbs., had all the Super morbidly obese systems including Full blown Type 2 Diabetes... When I finally went to the doctor for help those was the first words out of his mouth and my Endo Dr. "You should consider weightloss surgery) Well for me, this Was Not an Option..... I believed if I couldn't fix what was broken in my head that led me to kill myself with food than no surgery would ever fix that. To me the surgery wouldn't fix my emotional addiction to food, sure it would cause me to not be able to eat it but I have several friends that have had the surgery and most of them have struggled and 3 of them have put all the weight back on.. They literally have stretched their stomach back to where they can eat like they use to.. They never fixed what was broken and even though they used the surgery as a tool they still failed. Again I don;t hold it against any of them for doing what they thought was right but In my case it just wasn't a choice, I told the Doctor I will lose this weight with diet and exercise or die trying... So I began in Aquatic therapy (had to because I could barely support my own weight) with the help of my doctors and dietician and therapists I began this long journey., It has not been easy by any means and has taken alot of dedication and willpower but I can tell you it has been worth every ounce of blood, sweat, and tears....... If you feel like the surgery will help you than go through with it but just remember when you wake up from surgery those feeling to eat (the food addiction part) with still be there and you will need to deal with them but if you are having second thoughts do some serious soul searching before your surgery date... Good luck to you..... All my health issues have completely reversed including my diabetes ( A1c now avg. 5.4 from 10.0 32 months ago when I was diagnosed.)

You are truly an inspiration to others! I wish you all the best of luck!
  • Tropical_Turtle
    Tropical_Turtle Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    I had the Vertical Sleeve done Aug 18th of 2011. I had major medical problems that I no longer have issues with. My heaviest I was 320, and currently down to 183. It is not an easy choice, and it sure is not the easy way out as some might say to you. Surgery is NEVER easy. You will hear some say, "Do it the natural way", well how many times have we tried it the "natural" way to no avail. It is a TOOL, it is not an easy answer. It is a way to hold yourself accountable for EVERYTHING! I would not trade any choices I have made so far. It is not easy, it can be difficult, and you still need to work your butt off.

It is a personal choice and it is one only you can make, if you feel you can handle and accept the long term lifestyle changes you will need to make. All I can say is, I do not regret a damn thing I have done for myself and I could not be happier!
  • karenwill2
    karenwill2 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    at 320 pounds my husband and I were discussing weight loss surgery. Then he said to me, "I really think you can do this without the surgery. If you lose the weight with diet and exercise, I will pay for any reconstructive surgery you want." So, with his full support and MFP, I am on my way. He got me a gym membership for Christmas and always makes sure I can go. Even though I only concentrate on weight loss and school and kids which means my poor house is in total chaos... he supports me. He knows that I have to put myself first and is willing to sacrifice to help me get healthy. Now I weigh less than I did when I got pregnant with our last baby.

You can totally do this. Just do me one favor if you get the surgery. Don't eat junk and stay fat. Commit to a healthy life. I hate to see people that had surgery eating king sized junk while I eat my low cal healthy food. I love these people but you have to make a decision and stick with it. Get healthy. You can have junk every now and again but not daily!
  • JustLena75
    Options
    If you got that route, the gastric bypass or the DS is more effective for losing a large amount of weight. I honestly I wouldn't band my dog...I've seen too many people struggle with it, and not really lose much weight. At 370 a band would be a waste for you. I had gastric bypass surgery in 2004 and lost 160lbs. Close to 8 years out now, my regain was only 22lbs...so basically the expected 10-15% bounceback that they predict. I have lost 10 of that 22 so far and feeling pretty good. What surgery did for me was to FINALLY get me to a place where I am eating healthy foods. I exercise now. I'm the healthiest I've ever been. For me, taking a few extra vits/supplements was worth getting my life back. Surely I'd be close to being in a coffin now if I hadn't done. I have NO regrets at all...except I wish I'd done it sooner! I was overweight my entire life...and even once before surgery I went from 280 down to 170 all on my own...gained back and then some! I was tired of fighting. I tell anyone that asks me...DO IT!!!! But only you know what is best for you and what you are willing to live with. Post-op life isn't horrible at all. I only miss my old stomach on Thanksgiving and Christmas! :tongue:
  • fabulousby45
    Options
    bump....
  • free2live72003
    Options
    Let me start by saying that I am wholeheartedly an advocate for fitness and health. I am a Registered Nurse and have pursued my own personal health for as long as I can remember (I am 52 y/o). Below is my journey to health. It is not what I would recommend for everyone, but it has been my journey and I am very happy and satified with the choices that i have made for my health.

I have been obese since I was a toddler. Despite my obesity, for much of my life I was very active in competitive sports, also swimming, diving, etc. But, as I aged and got heavier i could not be as active as I desired.

At 19 years of age i also had to have my thyroid removed due to a growth. My metabolism and hormones were eratic and caused me multiple problems.

In my family tree I had both family members tipped the scale at 500-600lbs. and others that were 5'2 and 120lbs.

In my 40's I began to have multiple health problems--bad knees, bad back, high cholesterol, high blood pressure, high triglycerides, and diabetes, as well a a connective tissue disease similar to Lupus.

I ate much healthier and much less quantity and was much more active than my 3 thinner sisters, but still i tipped the scale at 325lbs. If I was exceptionally diligent I could lose about 50lbs and maintain it for awhile. But, eventually it seemed that i would get sick or get injured exercising and it would set me back again.

This scenario happened over and over again for 40+ years. I refused to have gastric bypass surgery as I felt i could tbeat this on my own if I could just stay well and prevent injury.

Finally, at 50 years of age I found myself somewhat dreading my future as all I could see was a decline in my health. i felt bad all the time. The massive amount of meds i was taking to control all my illnesses was dragging me down as well. I was beginning to feel hopeless.

Then, in a short period of time I had three different doctors say essentially the same thing to me. They asked me why i thought that i could lose weight and keep it off now when I hadn't been able to for 40 years. They also gave me the actual statistics of American women who lose and are able to maintain weight loss--the % was staggeringly low. And the final straw was when they gave me the statistics for longevity with the illnesses I presently had versus the statistics for longevity if I had wt. loss surgery and lost 70% of my excess weight. I would potentially live 15 years longer with a successful surgery outcome.

In Nov. 2010, I had gastric bypass surgery. Much of my family did not agree with my decision. But, it was my life and my decision. I had reached a point where i would rather die trying something new than continue failing at the same thing that i had tried for 40 years.

The surgery was really a breeze. The pain was minimal and I found that the adjustments to a new way of eating were not that difficult if I fully commited myself to a complete lifestyle change. For me, the very first day after my surgery i no longer required any of the 10 medications i was one prior to surgery. My blood sugar was normal, blood pressure normal, triglycerides and cholesterol all normal.

Today I weigh 163lbs and my goal is 150lbs. I work out 6 days a week sometimes doing 2 hrs of cardio without stopping. Previously, I couldn't take a flight of stairs without being extremely winded.

I am kayaking, doing 5Ks, Zumba, whatever i what to do. I now look forward to each day and all the exciting things i can now do. I wouldn't change my decision for anything. In fact, if the doctors told me that it would require the same surgery every year in order to maintain the lifestyle I have now---I would do the surgery again EVERY YEAR.

Don't get me wrong, it is hard work. Just because I have been successful with it thus far, don't think that I have not had to work hard. I do an hour of cardio almost every day and strength training 2-3 days a week. Every day I monitor what I eat and the vitamins that I take. I say "no" to my cravings and desires daily.

But, most of these things I actually had learned to do over the last 40+ years trying to get the weight off and I just could not do it successfully without adding this tool. People who are able to lose weight successfully the traditional way will never understand or acknowledge that this is an acceptable way to lose weight for those with hormonal and metabolic issues that prevent their success. But, I have lived it. I am no more determined now than I was for 40+ years. I just no longer have to work against my hormonal/metabolic issues and have a more noticable "full" sensation than previously. These were the changes that I needed in order for my diet and exercise choices to be fully successful.

Anyway, sorry for being so long winded but I wanted to give you a first hand account from someone who has been in your shoes. Take courage and go the direction your heart leads you regardless of what others say. My family are all now believers that this was the best choice for me. Just remember, whichever choice you make many of the habits are exactly the same (eat less, exercise more, eat what fuels your body).

Also, I would caution you---DO NOT HAVE SURGERY unless you are 100% sure that you are willing to follow the rules and make the necessary changes in your lifestyle. IT IS NOT A MAGIC BULLET FOR PEOPLE WHO ARE TOO LAZY TO COMMIT TO WEIGHT LOSS!!!! It is an additional tool used for weight loss that makes weight loss success possible for some who have not been able to achieve success by traditional means.

Feel free to friend me as i will gladly answer any questions that you may have.
  • JustLena75
    Options
    ^^^Eloquently stated! I'm glad that you wrote this post. There is a LOT of misinformation on this site about weight loss surgery, to the point it makes me want to stop reading these posts. I think your perspective as someone in the healthcare field, is important as well.
  • dirtbikegirl5
    dirtbikegirl5 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I personally know 2 friends of mine who have gotten the surgery done and it has improved their lives. This is after they have tried numerous diets and exercising.
    From what they have both told me, it was a life changing experience. They knew that once they got this done, there was no going back to the way they lived life before. Both of them are women and both said that the initial few months were hard. They were so used to eating whatever they wanted. They could not do this once they got the surgery. The one friend said the first couple of weeks she actually regretted getting the surgery, as if she was no longer the same person.
    Fast forward 10 years later and both of them have lost a great deal of weight and were glad that they took the journey.
    I have MFP friends who have also gotten the surgery and they have been pleased.
    I don't think it is for everyone. It is not your quick fix. You still have to do the work and develop a life change with your eating and exercise.
  • phatdivabbw
    phatdivabbw Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I CAN RELATE.
  • tanigrrrrr
    tanigrrrrr Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I had a gastric bypass when I was 21 (now 25) at my heaviest I was 160kg ( 352 pounds) I lost around 50 kg (110 pounds) and put around 33 back on over a space of 3 years.
    I abused the system.. ate what I wanted... never excersises.. found ways around the band. My hair fell out, and i felt sick all the time... I still do if I eat like ****.
    Im personally glad that I got the surgery... it got me to a point where I was confident enough to make a change, I could see end in sight... and after I started to really put weight on, i stopped myself and decided it was time to work for the rest of the weight loss.
    I think it helps me with the weight loss journey too... I havent stretched my pouch out completely. and whilst I can have larger serves than i could originally I am still somewhat restricted to a normal adult portion (rather than a childs portion), I seem to loose weight quicker than others doing the same as me (due to the non absortion properties of the surgery) -(ive lost 10 pounds in 3 weeks).
    Now I feel that im truely using the tool how it was meant to be used and without abusing it I doubt I would have the motivation to go and work for it, because I wouldnt of had the taste of freedom, confidence and health without it.
    There are alot of mental issues you need to fix outside of getting your insides rerouted. But I wouldnt say for a day a regret the surgery.

Personally i know a few people that have had the band, they have had to be reoperated on, and find it inconvenient to go to the doctor once a month for adjustments.

Its up to you , but that was just my experience.
  • DOElston
    DOElston Posts: 102
    Options
    I would take to heart the lessons those who've had the experience of the bypass and learn from the pros and cons. I would also suggest seeking a second medical opinion. There may be extenuating physiological circumstances that would lean your decision one way or the other and those considerations need to come from a physician.
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    The surgery is not going to teach you better eating habits.
    The surgery is not going to reverse the diabetes, it's the weight loss and healthy food habits that will.
    Do you really want to put your life at risk for a quick way to lose the weight?
    You need to change your lifestyle and eat better.
    You need to change your relationship with food.
    You need to surround yourself with supporting people who won't sabotage you.
    A lot of people here who weighed the same as you or even more lost it in an healthy way.
    Good luck!
  • nwg74
    nwg74 Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I could never have surgery as it is just too drastic. I want the ability to have a full meal if I want to.

I started at 357 pounds last year and currently 235 pounds after just a little over 10 months. It can be done without surgery. I just had to get the right motivation to do it. It took some time to get into the right mindset.
  • metisgirl
    metisgirl Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I used to weigh 460 lbs. and lost 200 lbs on my own through determination and hard work...Believe me it isn't easy...It is a struggle everyday because I am also a food addict.....I also have diabetes due to pancreatitis which screwed up my pancreas and since then has never worked the same.....I truly believe anything is achievable as long as you have a good support system. You need to truly love yourself before you can move forward in your weight loss goals. That is a difficult one for me....all in all it comes down to your choices and your needs as well as what risks you have in order to chose the surgery...If you want to chat or need support feel free to contact me.....
  • free2live72003
    Options
    I would caution you that if you are seriously considering weight loss surgery do a through search of what it can and cannot do for you. Also search out whether you (with your unique body) really need weight loss surgery. For some reason, people on this site seem to assume that all of our bodies function exactly the same way!!??? See several doctors with one doctor being an endocrinologist who can assess your hormone responses.

I am a medical professional and I can tell you that much of the information on this site is purely opinion and we all should be wise in realizing this fact. Most is not medical or nutritional fact based. Also. many on this site like to act as if whatever worked for them "should" work for everyone. Oh, how I wish it were that simple.

It is true that most of our American society is overweight due to poor food choices and lack of exercise. But, it is also true that there is a portion of our society that has legitimite medical reasons why weight loss does not occur for them in the same way or at the same rate as others who are not challenged in this way.

There are various types of weight loss surgery done for varying reasons which change how the body deals with food intake in different ways. Not all weight loss surgery accomplishes the same goal(s).

Just as an example: A previous person on this site mistakenly stated that weight loss "surgery is not going to reverse your diabetes. it's the weight loss and healthy food habits that will" Well, though well meaning i am sure, this person is not educated regarding the changes that weight loss surgery can make in the way food is processed in the body. Most think that the only change that occurs is restricting intake by making the stomach smaller. That is not the only change that takes place with some of the weight loss surgeries.

If you have Type 2 diabetes (late onset) then gastric bypass surgery may in fact reverse your diabetes--mine was immediately reversed ( as was my high cholesterol, high triglycerides, and high blood pressure) the day immediately following surgery--- long before I lost any weight and started eating well. When I left the hospital two days after my surgery i was off of all 10 of the medications i was on prior to surgery and I have not had to return to any of the medicine as of 16 months postop.

In fact, most are not aware that there is currently research being done that is looking into possibly offering this type surgery not for weight loss but as a treatment/possible cure for individuals who suffer with type 2 diabetes.

So, if you have TRULY attempted traditional weight loss methods and have not found success despite TREMENDOUS dedication, you might need to look into this as a tool to "even the playing field" so to speak ---thereby enabling you to be successful in your weight loss and fitness goals.

Remember, even though you initially lose weight quickly after weight liss surgery---this rapid weight loss only lasts about 9 months. Then, your success depends on whether you use this new tool (surgery) correctly along with those same traditional weight loss (right foods/right amount) and fitness strategies (exercise) you were using before your surgery. This is why some weight loss patients regain their weight and do not feel that this was a good choice. It is no quick fix, it too is a lifestyle change. But, it can be that one tool you needed to achieve a healthy body.

I just had to make it clear that YOU ARE NOT A FAILURE if you choose weight loss surgery. The only way you fail is if you quit searching for a plan that will work for you in the unique body that God has given you. Be honest with yourself and be committed to your health. It is a risk either way--for me to have continued with 325lbs, diabetes, high cholesterol, high triglycerides, high blood pressure, damaged joints was in essense dying a slow death. I was willing to take an educated risk in hopes that I could regain my health, and once again have a love for life. I was more willing to "die trying" to change than to continue another 20 years trying something that had not worked for me over the last 40 years. I had reached a point in my heatlh that my life expectancy was better if I had the surgery than if i did not.

JUST REMEMBER--that for some reason one faults individuals who have surgery to correct other problems in the way their body performs (kidney transplants, open heart surgeries, etc.), instead everyone is just thankful that medical technology has an alternative that offers a potentially longer and healthier life for that person. But, many people will openly fault individuals for having weight loss surgery when it is accomplishing the same for them---the potential to live a longer and healthier life.

I know that there are individuals that have had this surgery and did not realy need it and didn't benefit due to their own choices or due to complications. But, it bothers me that people are so judgemental toward all of us that chose this tool to better our lives. It is not for everyone who is obese--nor should it be, but i am so very grateful that it was the right choice and tool for me and that I am now healthy and active at 52 I just wish I had realized 10-15 years ago that i would need this tool in order to reach health instead of feeling like a failure with traditional weight loss strategies all those years.

I stand tall with my head raised high knowing that I have worked just as hard as anyone else on this site to lose and maintain my weight loss and fitness. I just had to take a different road less travelled.

BOTTOM LINE: Make an educated decision to "Choose LIFE, HEALTH, and HAPPINESS" in the way that works best for you and let others choose what works best for them. I hope that TOGETHER here on MFP we can CELEBRATE good health, and not fixate on the particular path that we took to get there. We all need the encouragement and acceptance.

( Highest weight that I was willing to weigh= 325lbs/ current weight= 162/ goal weight= 150).
  • sollyn
    sollyn Posts: 179
    Options
    I would caution you that if you are seriously considering weight loss surgery do a through search of what it can and cannot do for you. Also search out whether you (with your unique body) really need weight loss surgery. For some reason, people on this site seem to assume that all of our bodies function exactly the same way!!??? See several doctors with one doctor being an endocrinologist who can assess your hormone responses.

I am a medical professional and I can tell you that much of the information on this site is purely opinion and we all should be wise in realizing this fact. Most is not medical or nutritional fact based. Also. many on this site like to act as if whatever worked for them "should" work for everyone. Oh, how I wish it were that simple.

It is true that most of our American society is overweight due to poor food choices and lack of exercise. But, it is also true that there is a portion of our society that has legitimite medical reasons why weight loss does not occur for them in the same way or at the same rate as others who are not challenged in this way.

There are various types of weight loss surgery done for varying reasons which change how the body deals with food intake in different ways. Not all weight loss surgery accomplishes the same goal(s).

Just as an example: A previous person on this site mistakenly stated that weight loss "surgery is not going to reverse your diabetes. it's the weight loss and healthy food habits that will" Well, though well meaning i am sure, this person is not educated regarding the changes that weight loss surgery can make in the way food is processed in the body. Most think that the only change that occurs is restricting intake by making the stomach smaller. That is not the only change that takes place with some of the weight loss surgeries.

If you have Type 2 diabetes (late onset) then gastric bypass surgery may in fact reverse your diabetes--mine was immediately reversed ( as was my high cholesterol, high triglycerides, and high blood pressure) the day immediately following surgery--- long before I lost any weight and started eating well. When I left the hospital two days after my surgery i was off of all 10 of the medications i was on prior to surgery and I have not had to return to any of the medicine as of 16 months postop.

In fact, most are not aware that there is currently research being done that is looking into possibly offering this type surgery not for weight loss but as a treatment/possible cure for individuals who suffer with type 2 diabetes.

So, if you have TRULY attempted traditional weight loss methods and have not found success despite TREMENDOUS dedication, you might need to look into this as a tool to "even the playing field" so to speak ---thereby enabling you to be successful in your weight loss and fitness goals.

Remember, even though you initially lose weight quickly after weight liss surgery---this rapid weight loss only lasts about 9 months. Then, your success depends on whether you use this new tool (surgery) correctly along with those same traditional weight loss (right foods/right amount) and fitness strategies (exercise) you were using before your surgery. This is why some weight loss patients regain their weight and do not feel that this was a good choice. It is no quick fix, it too is a lifestyle change. But, it can be that one tool you needed to achieve a healthy body.

I just had to make it clear that YOU ARE NOT A FAILURE if you choose weight loss surgery. The only way you fail is if you quit searching for a plan that will work for you in the unique body that God has given you. Be honest with yourself and be committed to your health. It is a risk either way--for me to have continued with 325lbs, diabetes, high cholesterol, high triglycerides, high blood pressure, damaged joints was in essense dying a slow death. I was willing to take an educated risk in hopes that I could regain my health, and once again have a love for life. I was more willing to "die trying" to change than to continue another 20 years trying something that had not worked for me over the last 40 years. I had reached a point in my heatlh that my life expectancy was better if I had the surgery than if i did not.

JUST REMEMBER--that for some reason one faults individuals who have surgery to correct other problems in the way their body performs (kidney transplants, open heart surgeries, etc.), instead everyone is just thankful that medical technology has an alternative that offers a potentially longer and healthier life for that person. But, many people will openly fault individuals for having weight loss surgery when it is accomplishing the same for them---the potential to live a longer and healthier life.

I know that there are individuals that have had this surgery and did not realy need it and didn't benefit due to their own choices or due to complications. But, it bothers me that people are so judgemental toward all of us that chose this tool to better our lives. It is not for everyone who is obese--nor should it be, but i am so very grateful that it was the right choice and tool for me and that I am now healthy and active at 52 I just wish I had realized 10-15 years ago that i would need this tool in order to reach health instead of feeling like a failure with traditional weight loss strategies all those years.

I stand tall with my head raised high knowing that I have worked just as hard as anyone else on this site to lose and maintain my weight loss and fitness. I just had to take a different road less travelled.

BOTTOM LINE: Make an educated decision to "Choose LIFE, HEALTH, and HAPPINESS" in the way that works best for you and let others choose what works best for them. I hope that TOGETHER here on MFP we can CELEBRATE good health, and not fixate on the particular path that we took to get there. We all need the encouragement and acceptance.

( Highest weight that I was willing to weigh= 325lbs/ current weight= 162/ goal weight= 150).

I believe that you should walk tall! I have a friend who has had this surgery and I certainly wouldn't see it as the easy route to weight loss! She has had such a hard time with it, but now 2 years down the line, she has had the right counselling and has made friends with more sporty people and is now looking fabulous and seems in control. I am so proud of her and her family for keeping on with it.
    It is my opinion that it is easier to give up smoking than it is to deal with a food addiction. You can avoid all situations with regards cigarettes, but food has to be faced at least 3 times a day! So to everyone on this site who is making a difference to their lifestyle, you are amazing!
  • gg9nerak
    gg9nerak Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    It all depends on you and what you can handle. I have a friend who had the bypass 5 years ago. She can eat anything she wants but has never gained the weight back. She is a size 2 and lost 140 lbs.

I wouldn't have the bypass because of absorption problems. If you want to try the surgery then maybe you should go the vertical sleeve. At least you will be able to absorb. WLS is not a quick fix. It is a tool to help you get started. If you are able to use your small stomach as a tool and not try to stretch it out, then it will work for you if not then it won't...it's as simple as that. Also, if you are able to stick to a diet and exercise routine even if you are on a month long plateau then don't try the surgery. Whatever you decide to do, however will be the right answer,
  • rn20990
    rn20990 Posts: 2
    Options
    Your story is an inspiration!