Mars, Inc. to limit all candy bars to 250 calories

Options
2»

Replies

• UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    I eat all the sugar that I want every day and I have suffered no ill effects. And it has not interfered with my weight loss.

wish I could say that ...but...hell...I cant...oh well

It's the good genes... you should see me in them! :wink:
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    I hardly touch Mars, Hershey, Nestle, etc. I like Green & Black's, Endangered Species, etc... 60-80% cacao. I am a chocolate snob.
  • kekl
    kekl Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    nooooooooooooooooooooooooooo D:
    snickers are 280 calories D:
  • snookumss
    snookumss Posts: 1,451 Member
    Options
    "Come 2014, it's going to be gone [king size bar], part of what Mars says is a broader push for responsible snacking."

So what's to stop me from eating 3-4 smaller size bars? This is ridiculous.

Thats why they'll do it! So you think you need to buy more... so they make more money!!!
  • cNhobbes
    cNhobbes Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    this was a horrible thread to read while i'm waiting for dinner to come
  • reaolliemama
    reaolliemama Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I don't eat 'em often and when i do it's usually a fun size one...can they at least leave those alone?
  • Sumo813
    Sumo813 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Damn even candy bars are trying to cut calories. Mars inc. must have joined MFP:angry:

BWAHAHAHAHA! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • emczech5
    emczech5 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Snickers is my achilles heel. I hope they totally *kitten* up the flavor so I won't be interested any more.

^^This lol, and if they really do sell them smaller and charge more I wouldn't be so interested either. Candy bars already cost too much.
  • Sumo813
    Sumo813 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    I hardly touch Mars, Hershey, Nestle, etc. I like Green & Black's, Endangered Species, etc... 60-80% cacao. I am a chocolate snob.

Dig Cadburys (the REAL stuff), Ghirardelli, and Haute Chocolat... but Twix could very well be my achilles heal... that and 100grand.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    I eat all the sugar that I want every day and I have suffered no ill effects. And it has not interfered with my weight loss.

wish I could say that ...but...hell...I cant...oh well

It's the good genes... you should see me in them! :wink:

well at least I aint thinking of snickers now:wink:
  • VinaAnderson
    Options
    Snickers!!! Hands down the BEST candy bar. My new candy bar equivalent is the Peanut Butter Cookie Larabar. Delicious!
  • MiloBloom83
    MiloBloom83 Posts: 2,724 Member
    Options
    Thanks Mars, for deciding for me that your candy bars were too big. I certainly couldn't make that decision on my own. If i want 500+ calories, i'm going to eat 500+ calories. Maybe i'm 40 miles into an 80 mile loop on my bike & i need energy to replace the 3000ish calories i just burned, out of the 5000 or so i will burn by the time i'm done. Of course, you'll be lowering the prices of these new, smaller bars, right?
  • dancing_cat
    dancing_cat Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    "Come 2014, it's going to be gone [king size bar], part of what Mars says is a broader push for responsible snacking."

So what's to stop me from eating 3-4 smaller size bars? This is ridiculous.

^^ This! They've already done this in the UK, now instead of a King size at 84g its been replaced by a Duo, e.g. 2smaller bars in one packet at 91g so its more calories. Sometimes you want a nice big chocolate bar ... if they are too small then people will just buy more which is of course what Mars and the other manufacturers want.
  • I really want a Snickers bar now!
  • Maggie_Pie1
    Maggie_Pie1 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    ^^This lol, and if they really do sell them smaller and charge more I wouldn't be so interested either.

If you've ever bought "100 calorie" packages of anything, you are already paying more for less. You're paying for the convenience of the manufacturer parceling out 100 calories of food into convenient packages.

I don't see anything wrong with what they are doing. I thought the 'king size' version of any candy bar is a little on the ridiculous side to start with.
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    I'm ok with a slight size reduction (like a regular snickers bar right now is like 280 calories so we're talking about a pretty minor change here) - but NOT a sodium reduction as salt really changes the flavor of sweets in particular! Bah.
  • KarateGoddess
    KarateGoddess Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    the only candy bar i eat is snickers.. like twice a year probably?

mmmm snickers.

better stock up in case they change it, eh?
    seriously - buy a bunch and stick them in a vacuum bag in the freezer so they keep for a LONG time. I rarely eat candy bars like that but I really like me a good snickers every once in a blue moon. It would be tragic if they ruined the flavor by changing the recipe.

The king size bar being phased out - who cares. Who ever needed that anyway. If you want, buy more. No body needs supersized anything - WANTING however is another thing entirely! LOL
  • emczech5
    emczech5 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    ^^This lol, and if they really do sell them smaller and charge more I wouldn't be so interested either.

If you've ever bought "100 calorie" packages of anything, you are already paying more for less. You're paying for the convenience of the manufacturer parceling out 100 calories of food into convenient packages.

I don't see anything wrong with what they are doing. I thought the 'king size' version of any candy bar is a little on the ridiculous side to start with.

I don't buy the "100 Calorie" packages either because they cost too much, at least in my opinion. I'd rather buy the better deal and just be smart about not eating too much of it myself. So if they want to make the candy bars smaller I don't care, unless they raise the price and rip me off.