Apple Cider Vinegar & weightloss???????

Options
I just heard from a friend about the benefits of Apple Cider Vinegar..from what I was told it has to be natural and not the Heinz regular stuff. 1-2 tbspn before meals can help with your appetite and metabolism!!!!!!

Just wondering if anyone here has looked into this or doing it with some results??? What I read said that you wouldn't see quick results but it works on fat cells and also helps with your well being. I think I might just add it to my day :drinker:

Thanks for any feedback MFP's

Replies

• AnaVerasGettingFit
    AnaVerasGettingFit Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Braggs is the brand my mom and friends use and swear by. Let me know how it works for u.
  • skinnyack
    Options
    I like the Bragg's brand. I've read in multiple places that it has multiple benefits, especially the "mother" (that's the leftover apple that floats in it. Only criticism I heard was one person brought up that it was so acidic that drinking "too much" can be hurtful to your esophagus, but failed to mention how much is too much. I tried a week long mix of a small pour of Braggs unfiltered apple cider vinegar, a table spoon of baking soda, about 15 oz water, and about 5 oz organic apple juice. and drank throughout the morning. The baking soda has multiple cleansing properties and was a suggestion to reduce the acidity of the vinegar. I would say it was a pleasant experience! My cousin uses it when she feels a cold coming on, she adds a little to her hot tea. I don't know about the weight loss/diet suppressant part but I do believe people have had positive experience with it for general health.
  • cindysess
    cindysess Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    where can you find the Braggs brand? Is it sold right in the grocery stores?
  • carolemack
    carolemack Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Someone must have been watching DR. Oz today. :smile:
  • giggles1973
    giggles1973 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Yummy!! I love it. I have like 15 more lbs to lose to be where I want to be. I was working out every day nd eating 1200 cal a day and not eating back my exercise calories. That said I was losing like a pound a week. I started using this as my salad dressing and drinking a few teaspoons ( I started like middle of last week) and so far this week I've lost a pound a day...weird and seems like a lot since I'm fairly close to my goal but it's the only thing that I've done differently :smile:
  • pinkita
    pinkita Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    Hey, I'm willing to try just about anything to free myself of the crazy PMS cravings... I mean I ate 7 Tbsps of JIF the other night, hello??
  • Spinelli2288
    Spinelli2288 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    You can find Braggs in most stores, I love the stuff! Same with the Braggs Liquid Aminos, a healthy soy sauce basically. Be careful on your intake of Apple Cider Vinegar, if you want to take a tablespoon of it, just down a full tablespoon. If you spread it out through the day with water or something it can eat away at your tooth enamel.
  • Sl1ghtly
    Sl1ghtly Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I've looked into it. Other than claims from those selling diet supplements, or ideology, I have found no evidence of any health benefits resulting from drinking vinegar.

Scam meter- positive.

That said, I kinda like malt vinegar on fried fish.
  • FlyByJuly
    FlyByJuly Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Bump.
  • LabRat529
    LabRat529 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    I've looked into it. Other than claims from those selling diet supplements, or ideology, I have found no evidence of any health benefits resulting from drinking vinegar.

Scam meter- positive.

This.

It doesn't help with weight loss. There is no such thing as a magic food, drink, or herb. There's no point in drinking the stuff. If you like the taste, then there's nothing wrong with putting it in/on your food... or I suppose drinking it if it's just for something tasty to drink (though yuck! in my opinion) but it doesn't do anything for weight loss.
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options

i refuse to eat fried fish without malt vinegar. or even better - garlic infused vinegar <3
  • darylspindler
    darylspindler Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    LOL....it does add a nice picquant to the fish does it not?

Scam meter- positive.

• Sl1ghtly
    Sl1ghtly Posts: 855 Member
    Options

i refuse to eat fried fish without malt vinegar. or even better - garlic infused vinegar <3

Garlic infused vinegar? I gotta get out more.
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    I think a study somewhere said that vinegar (and acidic foods) reduce your appetite. I don't think I would bother with drinking it but I love apple cider vinegar in dressings and on green veggies in particular. My mom *always* uses it when she is roasting meat.

These apple cider drinks are overpriced. I did meet someone who loves to put it in sparkling water.
  • runtrx
    runtrx Posts: 17
    Options
    I like the Bragg's brand. I've read in multiple places that it has multiple benefits, especially the "mother" (that's the leftover apple that floats in it. Only criticism I heard was one person brought up that it was so acidic that drinking "too much" can be hurtful to your esophagus, but failed to mention how much is too much. I tried a week long mix of a small pour of Braggs unfiltered apple cider vinegar, a table spoon of baking soda, about 15 oz water, and about 5 oz organic apple juice. and drank throughout the morning. The baking soda has multiple cleansing properties and was a suggestion to reduce the acidity of the vinegar. I would say it was a pleasant experience! My cousin uses it when she feels a cold coming on, she adds a little to her hot tea. I don't know about the weight loss/diet suppressant part but I do believe people have had positive experience with it for general health.

I'd be a bit cautious on the use of baking soda. I know older folks use it sometimes for acidic stomachs, but baking soda is easily absorbed by the body and can actually change your body's PH factor which can be very serious. Now I'm not sure how MUCH baking soda has to be use to caused this or if takes a long period of time of using baking soda to cause the effect. But I thought I would throw out a word of caution.
  • denisemichele
    denisemichele Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    bump
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options

Garlic infused vinegar? I gotta get out more.
    oh yes :D theres a local fish place here that offers it.. i think they have other infused ones too, but garlic is my fav.
  • Spinelli2288
    Spinelli2288 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    For those who do "research" they sure do a sh*tty job of it. Google health benefits of apple cider vinegar. You'll find all that you need to know. If you're interested in speeding up your metabolism spicy food works too. Google that as well.
  • Stefanie7125
    Stefanie7125 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    I have heard quite a few people talk of this. My grandmother swears by it. She has a tsp mixed with tomato or veggie juice.
  • deeharley
    deeharley Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    I tried it for a while. I decided the reason it helps with weight loss is because you're sick for hours afterwards and can't eat anything else. :laugh: Seriously, I've heard it works and I have a friend who swears by it for joint health.