boiling eggs ahead of time

Options

Replies

• cynhip
    cynhip Posts: 33
    Options
    The key to hard boiled eggs is to use salt in the water. It makes the shells hard and they are much easier to peel. I also leave the peel on.
  • Werglum
    Werglum Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

Is this how we should boil eggs to make the shell an easy peel? I always have a hard time peeling the shell without it taking the egg white with it.
    [/quote]

Generally eggs that are really fresh are impossible to peel - we used to have chickens and the only way you could get the egg out of the shell was to cut it in half and scoop it out with a spoon. Try to use older eggs for boiling and fresh eggs for poaching.
  • cynhip
    cynhip Posts: 33
    Options
    To remove the shell easier also shock ur eggs in cold water after you boil them.
  • kathyc727
    kathyc727 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Depends on where you plan on keeping them. I keep them in the shell in the egg carton they came in with the words hardboiled on it so I don't mix em up! Easier to take places this way, they dont get all wet and slimy!

HAHAHA I write HARD BOILED on every side of the carton. Nothing like taking an uncooked egg to work & cracking it open in the break room with everyone looking.
    I HB them a dozen at a time so I leave them in the shell til I'm ready to eat them.
  • littlelaura
    littlelaura Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    I cook a dozen hard boiled egg sunday night or monday morning, as I eat 2 for breakfast on most days and I think its much easier to remove a shell from freshly cooked still warm egg than putting the egg in the fridge with the shell still on it and trying to peel it after.

As for freshness or safe eating either is fine just use within a week.

Also cooking methods, put eggs into pan , add cold water to about an inch above them and then salt the top of the shells and water heavily, this makes the shells easier to remove, I bring mine to a boil for 10 full minutes then remove and cool under running water then peel but you can also bring to a boil, remove from heat, cover and let sit 20 mins and they will be done perfectly.
  • modernmom70
    modernmom70 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I cook 9 a week to have on hand in my veggie steamer, it is designed to also steam eggs. I leave the shell on, but I don't think it makes much difference.

Size 16 to 6 maintained for 2 years!
  • bugtrain
    bugtrain Posts: 251 Member
    Options

Method I used:
    -place eggs in pot
    -cover with inch of cold water
    -bring water to a rolling boil on medium-high heat, uncovered
    - once water reaches a heavy boil, remove pot from heat and cover with lid
    -let sit for 15 mins
    -drain water and run cold water over eggs until cool
    -put eggs in fridge

Is this how we should boil eggs to make the shell an easy peel? I always have a hard time peeling the shell without it taking the egg white with it.
    Fresh eggs are the hardest to peel..........
  • MaryD4900
    MaryD4900 Posts: 135 Member
    Options

Yeah, I didn't have a problem peeling mine today. I did read somewhere that older eggs are easier to peel. I rolled mine on the counter and let the shell break up into smaller pieces before peeling
  • DanielleDavids
    DanielleDavids Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I personally keep them in the shell. I find that they're easier to peel when they've been in the fridge for a while & they stay fresh longer and don't turn a funky gray color or anything.
  • elly_bean83
    elly_bean83 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Generally eggs that are really fresh are impossible to peel - we used to have chickens and the only way you could get the egg out of the shell was to cut it in half and scoop it out with a spoon. Try to use older eggs for boiling and fresh eggs for poaching.

we have chickens also...the trick to hard boiling fresh eggs is to let the water boil before you put the eggs in - the hot water kind of shocks (for lack of better term) the egg into retracting from the shell = easier to peel! oh and also best to use room temperature eggs! cheers :)
  • DanielleDavids
    DanielleDavids Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    A trick my grandma taught me is to add 1/4 c. of vinegar and some salt to the water. She swore it made them easier to peel and stopped any egg from leaking out if one of the shells happened to get a crack. You don't taste it, but I'm convinced it works!
  • gridder
    gridder Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't put them back in the carton unless you sterilize it somehow. . . salmonella is carried on the shell.
  • rileymama
    rileymama Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I peel mine when I eat them. :)

Me too!
  • MaryD4900
    MaryD4900 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't put them back in the carton unless you sterilize it somehow. . . salmonella is carried on the shell.

Ugh, good point! I wondered about that last night as I placed my eggs back into the carton...lol
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    I keep them in the shells...and then bring them to work. Such easy protein for my lunch...grab and go! :)
  • davidherling
    Options
    This is all absolutely correct, but 10 minutes should do the trick.

One other tip directly relating to leaving the eggs in their shell, yolks left in the shell tend to turn green. Someone said this is due to the sulfur that the shell traps inside but I don't know if that's true. It doesn't really effect the tste or quality, but if you want pretty yellow yolk it helps to cool the egg and peel the shell quickly.
  • realme56
    realme56 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I leave the shells on, seem easier to peel later.

Green on the yolks means they cooked too long.
  • kmjenkins
    kmjenkins Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I usually keep them in the shell, but the other day I peeled one and put it in a ziploc in my lunchbox---found out it makes everything in there taste/smell like an egg, won't do that again, just a preference thing though I'm sure.
  • Anjoelina
    Options
    I am 60 and JUST learned how to easily peel eggs, whether fresh or older. You 'punch' a tiny hole on the fatter end of the raw egg, very careful not to go in very deep, you just want to pierce the shell (they make egg piercers for this purpose). Gently place them in a pan of hard rolling boiling water. Keep them in for 15 minutes. Drain and use cold water to cool them down. AMAZING... can't believe it took this long to find out this jewel of information. Even the very thin membrane peels off with the shell!
  • Ideabaker
    Ideabaker Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    The key to hard boiled eggs is to use salt in the water. It makes the shells hard and they are much easier to peel. I also leave the peel on.

Thanks for this tip... I'll be trying it. I read on Pinterest that adding Baking Powder to the water makes them easier to peel, but I have had no luck with that method. I boil up six to eight eggs at a time, and leave them in the shell in a ziptop baggie in the door of the fridge so they don't get mixed up with my raw eggs.

I've read that if you boil "older eggs" vs. fresher eggs, they are easier to peel, and that actually seems to be true in my experience.