Should I be eating my exercise calories?

Options
2»

Replies

• chattipatty2
    chattipatty2 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    I have read other posts about this, and got so confused. Differing opinions. So I am listening to you, who has actually spoken with a physician.
    Im not gonna force feed my exercise calories if I am eating healthy foods all day and am simply not hungry. I suppose when I get close to my goal, and have a bit more education, I will reconsider, but for now, will follow your doctors advice as my doctor didn't have a take on it.....
    However, on those rare occasions, like Valentines Day, i will exercise and use those for alcohol calories :drinker: LOL
  • chattipatty2
    Options
    I agree...search the other threads on this for a wealth of information...

However...my doctor told me NOT to eat my excercise calories as long as I wasn't hungry...which I rarely am...until I have lost 50 of the 83 I intend to lose.

Down 44...I am actually less hungry than before...so I am curious to see what he says next time I go in.

My doctor pretty much said the same thing. As long as I'm eating 1200 nutritionally dense (which I do) calories... if I'm not hungry.... I can have a greater calorie deficit because my weight is so high. Once I'm closer to being a normal weight range, to have that high of a calorie deficit really isn't achievable while still eating 1200 calories... unless I want to work out 5 hours a day. :)
  • cherbapp
    cherbapp Posts: 322
    Options

However, on those rare occasions, like Valentines Day, i will exercise and use those for alcohol calories :drinker: LOL

Definitely...even though my doc said not to eat them for weight loss...it doesn't mean I CAN'T eat them for fun. :)
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    I agree that you should really try to use the search function, this topic gets posted about every 5 minutes.

As for me, I eat my exercise calories back if I'm hungry. If I know I'm going out & want to splurge, sometimes I'll work to burn a little extra to have some wiggle room. But you should know that MFP already has you in a deficit, so you should eat those exercise calories if you're hungry otherwise you'll be in too large of a deficit. Just my opinion and what has worked for me. :)
  • chattipatty2
    Options
    off topic, but how do you quote someone??
  • silkysly
    silkysly Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    This question again?
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    You press the quote button at the bottom of their post.

I already answered on this thread, but I'm adding to it now...

My feelings on this:
    * Eat a caloric deficit to lose weight.
    * Exercise to gain good health.
    Eating more calories - while maintaining a deficit (but a reasonable one) does not negate the health benefits gained through exercise.

... but hey, what do I know? I've only shed 130 pounds, decreased my body fat from a whopping 56% to 22-ish%, and shed nearly 100 inches from all over my body... the wh
  • chattipatty2
    Options

My feelings on this:
    Eating more calories - while maintaining a deficit (but a reasonable one) does not negate the health benefits gained through exercise.

... but hey, what do I know? I've only shed 130 pounds, decreased my body fat from a whopping 56% to 22-ish%, and shed nearly 100 inches from all over my body... the wh
  • lucky312
    lucky312 Posts: 22 Member
    Options

My feelings on this:

For yourself, Do you consider a deficit as part of your goal, or that there is already one built into that number?
  • chattipatty2
    Options
    can i friend you? you seem to have it going on. would like to scan your foods, exercise, etc. ask questions. YOU are all action girl, and I (even tho a nurse) need some experienced, realistic people to follow.
  • BarbWhite09
    BarbWhite09 Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    Not to be mean but you may trying using the search function on the forums as this topic is discussed constantly. Everyone has a different opinion but I have always eaten the majority of mine and lost 82 lbs.

Agreed...Please use the search function. This topic is posted constantly.
  • CoryIda
    Options

My feelings on this:

For yourself, Do you consider a deficit as part of your goal, or that there is already one built into that number?
    At this point, I'm done losing so I consider the calories MFP gives me PLUS the additional calories I get from exercising my goal.

While I was losing, if I was trying to lose one pound/week, I tried to have a 500 calorie deficit TOTAL, which would mean that I tried to eat all of the calories MFP gave me, including the extras from exercise.
    Did I eat every one every day? No.
    But I did my best (also, our bodies work more on a weekly basis than day by day so if you have a huge calorie burn one day but don't eat all of your extra calories, then have a rest day and eat way over your goal, it will all even out in the end).

Food is fuel.
  • lucky312
    lucky312 Posts: 22 Member
    Options

My feelings on this:

At this point, I'm done losing so I consider the calories MFP gives me PLUS the additional calories I get from exercising my goal.

While I was losing, if I was trying to lose one pound/week, I tried to have a 500 calorie deficit TOTAL, which would mean that I tried to eat all of the calories MFP gave me, including the extras from exercise.
    But I did my best (also, our bodies work more on a weekly basis than day by day so if you have a huge calorie burn one day but don't eat all of your extra calories, then have a rest day and eat way over your goal, it will all even out in the end).

Food is fuel.

Thank you so much for your advice!
  • CoryIda
    Options
    can i friend you? you seem to have it going on. would like to scan your foods, exercise, etc. ask questions. YOU are all action girl, and I (even tho a nurse) need some experienced, realistic people to follow.
    I'm sorry, but I am not really adding people; however, I did write a blog with some information on how I got healthy:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/CoryIda/view/how-did-you-do-it-200995

And I also am good about responding to private messages, so feel free to send me one.

I wish you the best!
  • chattipatty2
    Options

My feelings on this:

Food is fuel.
  • mikellsmom
    mikellsmom Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    If you are trying to lose some belly fat try doing pilates... It is not hard on the body but it will definitely shape your core...
  • NERAK1229
    Options
    You should eat what your goal is. Mine is 1200, so I always try to stay at that. If I burn an extra 300 a day, it's just that much more weight you will lose more quickly. And if you are hungrier and eat 1500 and burn 300, then you are still okay keeping it at 1200 for the progressive weight loss. The extra calories burned just get you there quicker, that's all, you don't have to eat them :-)
  • chattipatty2
    Options
    Food is fuel.

If you burn more fuel than what you put into your car, it won't run.

Fuel your body so it can go further.

I will keep all this in mink. I wish I could read your entire journey, but wont remember how to get back to your blogs. is there a way?