Doing my first Night Shift but I'll most likely be up for 24

Options
So it's 12:40 am now...
Tomorrow night I am doing a 7pm-7am (I'm a nurse) My first ever night shift... ha

So the question is... when do I eat? I'm going to be up all day tomorrow (going to the gym in the morning) might try to take a nap before I go to work... but who knows.

Won't it be like 24 hrs of eating? I'm confused lol

Replies

• xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    i work nights too.

i count from midnight to midnight. it is harder to not over eat when you've worked a night and are off the next night, especially if you stay up.

i just try to eat low calorie foods, like lots of veggies and fruits during my shift. i am off work tomorrow night (working right now) and i'll hit the gym sometime tomorrow and probably stay up or take a short nap. i'll eat here in a few hrs, then i may have a snack and then go home, eat a light breakfast (maybe egg whites and oatmeal). and just see what i'm hungry for for dinner.
  • flatbellybella
    flatbellybella Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    well I'm lost lol
  • tracymarie2012
    tracymarie2012 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I work shift work also, it is tough at times. Graveyards, I try to drink lots of fluids and stick to healthy choices, getting enuf sleep is important too.
  • rolliepollie087
    rolliepollie087 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Welcome to nights. I work 12 hour shifts, and like the above poster I count midnight to midnight. As for the 24 hour days (I have to stay up for 24 hours twice a week) I just log as I go. Sometimes I go over. I'm really not sure how it all works when you stay up 24 hours, if you should eat slightly more or not. Seems to me you would, since you're not laying down and resting.
  • rolliepollie087
    rolliepollie087 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Lol, sorry! Me, too. But I tried =p
    well I'm lost lol
  • flatbellybella
    flatbellybella Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Lol. Thanks everyone.
    Guess you gotta do what you gotta do lol
  • IrishMinx32
    IrishMinx32 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I work 55 hrs in 4 day period and yes it's overnights as well. I mainly try not to eat with in 3 hrs of going to sleep. Eat more veggies and protein as well. If your going to be up and moving for a certain amount of hours then go ahead and eat something alittle more substantial. U will find a system that works for u. Also make sure u keep yourself hydrated. I eat about every 3 hours, so i dont feel deprived and it mainly consists of veggies or a protein bar. Hope this helped, good luck fellow overnight worker.
  • mom2boyzinaz
    Options
    I too work 12 hrs, if you can try to nap its better. Today is my Monday so I tried to nap. I also do midnight to midnight when counting my calories
  • brandie_lou
    Options
    Hi :)) I work in law enforcement so I work shift work too. Right now I'm on night shift (6P-6A) and I just treat my PM like I would AM. I get off around 6A, so I have breakfast (a protein shake), finish up errands & hit the bed (around 8ish). When I get up I usually hold off eating until after I get to work & around 8 ish or so I eat a snack & midnight I eat my dinner (like a normal "lunch time") and then when I get home I do it again (usually a protein shake for breakfast).

I just try and drink lots of water because not only does it help you stay hydrated but helps make you feel full. My dr. told me that sometimes hunger is the body craving fluids, not food. It's just our natural course to feel hungry & eat food. On night shift I just have to try very hard not to snack out of boredom.
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    I work nights. 11pm-7am. I pack my lunch and just graze on it through out the night.
  • KatieB1981
    KatieB1981 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I work midnights, too. It can be really hard to stay under calories on nights I work because often times I'm up for almost 2 days (I usually only work 1 midnight at a time). Like the other posters, I try to keep my midnight foods to low cal options, mostly fruits or veggie. I also try to drink a lot of water.
  • jewelswye
    jewelswye Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    i work nights too.

i count from midnight to midnight. it is harder to not over eat when you've worked a night and are off the next night, especially if you stay up.

i just try to eat low calorie foods, like lots of veggies and fruits during my shift. i am off work tomorrow night (working right now) and i'll hit the gym sometime tomorrow and probably stay up or take a short nap. i'll eat here in a few hrs, then i may have a snack and then go home, eat a light breakfast (maybe egg whites and oatmeal). and just see what i'm hungry for for dinner.

^^^^ this is what I do. Are you a radiographer by any chance xray girl?? lol
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    i do rotating shifts all the time. i changed the names of my meals in the settings menu, to reflect time, instead of meal names. makes it easier to keep track.
  • paulcer
    paulcer Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I'm not one to preach the water thing usually, but I find on the long 24+ hour days, It's hard to keep enough water going. You use more water because you're awake and working. Personally, I would not go to the gym on your first day doing this. Like the other posters, I just log midnight to midnight. Don't be afraid to go over a bit. It'll settle out as you develop a schedule.

Good luck!