Muscle does not weigh more then fat.

Options
2»

Replies

• miltonduck
    Options
    get over youtselves everyone - this is a place for support, not *****ing.
  • carlie_carl
    Options
    I do agree, I think people are confused by quantity of whats in a pound of muscle compared to fat
  • snookumss
    snookumss Posts: 1,451 Member
    Options
    This morning I was talking with my 23yo daughter. I love her to death. I now live, vicariously, through her.
    I thought she was a pain in the bum when she was a teenager. She used to speak to me the way you young women have responded to the OP - who, by the way, is not trying to tell you how to 'suck eggs', she's 'imparting knowledge', If you already know the stuff, pass over it. If you don't, live harmoniously and learn.

Here's something to consider. When I was your age I had never, ever, had to diet. But look at me now. Isn't there something to be learnt from those of us who, in later life, are experiencing body changes that we hadn't expected to happen?

Crikey, if you lot are only in your 20s and fat how hard might it be for you when you are 50?

OK, yes, I'm telling you are acting like bratty teenagers.

Wow, and you are doing a great job "imparting knowledge' as well! You remind me of my Grandma, who thinks she knows everything and nobody in the world can tell her otherwise... and she told me to stay away from having egg yolks because they're too high in fat. At least us 20 year olds are learning how to do this stuff before you had to, and ideally won't have to deal with the same problem when we are 50. We may be bratty teenagers here and there, but you are being all high and mighty, bratty "adult.

I wasn't even paying attention to the rest of the post, until yours motivated me to respond. Congrats for improving the helpful aura!
  • Wilson336
    Options
    Your explanation clarifies things, but your topic title is inaccurate. Muscle does weight more than fat, just as steel weighs more than feathers.
    Yes, a pound is a pound, but that is not saying the same thing. Fat has a lower density than muscle, so one cubic foot of fat weighs less than one cubic foot of muscle. Conversely, one pound of muscle takes up less space than one pound of fat. So, a person who weighs 200 pounds but is in shape will take up a lot less space than a person who weighs 200 pounds but is not in shape.
    For a visual, think of all the NFL running backs who are 5'10" and weigh 220 pounds, but can bench press 375 pounds and have 4% body fat with ripped abs. Now think about someone who never exercises or watches what he/she eats that is 5'10" and weigh 220 pounds, but haven't seen their toes in 5 years.
  • Teliooo
    Teliooo Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    Doesn't this get said daily?
  • Geordie_Girl
    Geordie_Girl Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Can I just point out that it's 'than', not 'then'? If you're going to get all pedantic on our arses, at least learn to spell.
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    Doesn't this get said daily?

Yep

Most people already know that when people here say muscle weighs more than fat . they mean by VOLUME, they don't mean a lb of muscle weighs more than a lb of fat.

to the OP, have a good read of the stickies on top of the page, and Welcome to MFP :)
  • TDGee
    TDGee Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options
    Thank you!:flowerforyou: