Eating once per day

Replies

• lavlei
    lavlei Posts: 26
    bump
  • cgrout78
    cgrout78 Posts: 1,679 Member
    All in moderation. Balance is key right? :)
    I think that's a good plan when you know you're going to have a high calorie meal (dinner party, etc)
    What i'll do is munch on really light snacks like grapes or salad (without dressing) so i dont go into starvation and get delirious. :D

Starvation mode is a myth. You know that right?

but the side effects of being hungry are real.

^^ for me. I couldn't do IF...I get lightheaded, shaky and dizzy if I don't eat every 2 to three hours (except when sleeping). It works great for some, not for others!!
  • r1ghtpath
    r1ghtpath Posts: 701 Member
    i'm guessing this is different than not eating ENOUGH calories during the day? so, you're not talking not eating all day long and then at like 6p eating a dinner of 200-400 calories? you're saying not eating all day and then at like 5p eating your 1200 calories for the day?

i did the first, i could easily go all day without eating. i was never able to lose weight doing that. i would start eating at like 2p and between then and 8p i would eat about 700-800 calories. i did not lose weight. i didn't gain either, but i didn't lose anything.

i can't say i've tried the second. i just recently started eating 1200 calories a day ( as in like the past week i started.....) and it takes me all day long to consume that many. i went out for thai/ hunan the other night, and in the past, i would have not eaten all day long just so i could eat a whole lot at dinner. so, instead, i ate during the day and saved calories then ate as much as i wanted. it all worked out well and i was still under for the entire day.

i just don't think i could consume that many calories at one time. i think i'd feel sick.
  • realrayne10
    realrayne10 Posts: 388 Member
    I am very interested in hearing from those who fast during the day and only eat at night, or eat most or all of your calories as one larger meal each day. I would like to know real accounts from people who eat this way, including why you do it, benefits vs. costs of this eating style, what your meals look like, effects on your weight/muscle mass, etc.

Now to sit back and wade through all of the "Don't do this, because you'll be fat and die" comments to get to the answers I am looking for.... Thanks in advance! :flowerforyou:

Good luck with that. This is how I got fat in the first place.
  • lilojoke
    lilojoke Posts: 427 Member
    I do this quite a lot actually.

Have my shake with my workout then a good sized meal of about 1000 calories eaten within about an hour.
  • Trail_Addict
    Trail_Addict Posts: 1,350 Member
    All in moderation. Balance is key right? :)
    I think that's a good plan when you know you're going to have a high calorie meal (dinner party, etc)
    What i'll do is munch on really light snacks like grapes or salad (without dressing) so i dont go into starvation and get delirious. :D

Starvation mode is a myth. You know that right?

but the side effects of being hungry are real.

"Will power" is a controllable variable, so it's not conditional in the final results. So, if you can cope with the hunger pangs, then you'll likely find results.
  • skywa
    skywa Posts: 901 Member
    I just started IF and i've been at it for about a week.

It fits my life style mostly. Im usually to busy for food during the day anyways. And im honestly not hungry till later in the day. I use a 5 hr, feeding window.

No loss or gain so far.
  • sarahgilmore
    sarahgilmore Posts: 572 Member
    i'm guessing this is different than not eating ENOUGH calories during the day? so, you're not talking not eating all day long and then at like 6p eating a dinner of 200-400 calories? you're saying not eating all day and then at like 5p eating your 1200 calories for the day?

i did the first, i could easily go all day without eating. i was never able to lose weight doing that. i would start eating at like 2p and between then and 8p i would eat about 700-800 calories. i did not lose weight. i didn't gain either, but i didn't lose anything.

i can't say i've tried the second. i just recently started eating 1200 calories a day ( as in like the past week i started.....) and it takes me all day long to consume that many. i went out for thai/ hunan the other night, and in the past, i would have not eaten all day long just so i could eat a whole lot at dinner. so, instead, i ate during the day and saved calories then ate as much as i wanted. it all worked out well and i was still under for the entire day.

i just don't think i could consume that many calories at one time. i think i'd feel sick.

Generally it's a 'window' of eating. a common one is 16off/8on I think. like for me I'll start about 2-3pm and stop around 6-7pm but some days I'll start around 12-1pm or finish later depending on my needs.

So yesterday (Thursday if you look at my diary it is Friday here now) I had a yoghurt and a fruit & nut bar and a cup of tea about noon. Then I had a curry meal about 2. (I had something on in the afternoon so I started a bit earlier, normally I'll just wait til I get home from work about 2.30. ) Then at 5pm I had dinner which was 2 sausages, some peas and corn and half a potato with some cheese. And a glass of orange juice. Then about 6 I had another cup of tea and a small dessert. Just under 1800 calories.

But yes, they key is to meet your macros and meet your calorie goal.
    (My calorie goal is set to maintenence I just try to come in a little under when I can, if you're wondering)

The best thing, I can eat normal food, rather than trying to fill myself up on fruit and vegetables because the calories are spread so thin
  • I do this but I do it in reverse. I usually eat a huge breakfast and then I am not hungary for the rest of the day. I was told by my doctor to eat in reverse for all meals. Largest at breakfast, medium lunch and small dinner. This way you are busy and able to burn the calories from your largest meal in the morning. I guess it would depend on the person if any of this works. Good Luck
  • it works really well for me and the it eliminates late night snacking which would always make me go over my calories
  • r1ghtpath
    r1ghtpath Posts: 701 Member
    ah ok! so, it's meeting your goals just in a shorter amount of time basically. so, instead of eating every 2-3 hr for a total of 12, you might eat pretty consistently for like 6-8 hours. gotcha!

if you start later in the day, what about breakfast? is it not true that you need to eat breakfast?

Generally it's a 'window' of eating. a common one is 16off/8on I think. like for me I'll start about 2-3pm and stop around 6-7pm but some days I'll start around 12-1pm or finish later depending on my needs.

So yesterday (Thursday if you look at my diary it is Friday here now) I had a yoghurt and a fruit & nut bar and a cup of tea about noon. Then I had a curry meal about 2. (I had something on in the afternoon so I started a bit earlier, normally I'll just wait til I get home from work about 2.30. ) Then at 5pm I had dinner which was 2 sausages, some peas and corn and half a potato with some cheese. And a glass of orange juice. Then about 6 I had another cup of tea and a small dessert. Just under 1800 calories.

But yes, they key is to meet your macros and meet your calorie goal.
    (My calorie goal is set to maintenence I just try to come in a little under when I can, if you're wondering)

The best thing, I can eat normal food, rather than trying to fill myself up on fruit and vegetables because the calories are spread so thin
  • Kymmu
    Kymmu Posts: 1,650 Member
    I do eat. stop. eat.
    Most cals in one meal.
    there's heaps of info on the internet, or you could join the intermittent fasting group here on MFP.
  • wwww1199
    wwww1199 Posts: 271 Member
    So what do you eat for that one meal?
  • laughingnome
    laughingnome Posts: 259 Member
    My husband has always been this way but he comes home from work starving and snacks until dinner is ready then is hungry 20 minutes later and eats more crap. His plate is full at dinner then goes for seconds. He is a non stop eating machine every night.
  • My ex-husband would go all day with out eating and then eat a large (and I mean LARGE) meal at night. After 3 months he started to notice his vision was blurred, he was urinating frequently and once, he passed out. After being rushed to the hospital he was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. The doctor explained to us that what he was doing caused extreme shifts in his insulin levels and his body just couldn't take it.

From first hand experience, I would never reccommend eating once a day.

In regards to fasting for religious purposes, I do the Daniel Fast.
  • LA723
    LA723 Posts: 98 Member
    Since eating, for me, is about much more than caloric intake and taking care of hunger, I would not like this type of diet.
  • pinkminy
    pinkminy Posts: 286
    yeah i think its good ....I really think half the time people eat out of habit rather than need, I would rather NOT eat a big night time meal because I would go to bed feeling uncomfortable . a decent meal early in the day then just a very very light evening meal is better for digestion i think, Oh and I DONT believe in the starvation mode thing, Nor do I belive in eating back calories that you have burnt off. I do belive in Quality not Quantity.
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Can I ask what the point of fasting is? I eat a lot of food(low calorie clean food) and I am losing weight and my diet is something I can stick to for the rest of my life. Why would you do this type of technique unless you were training for something and you have to weigh in at a certain weight at a given time? Like a mma fighter for example. This type of diet is not long term and I am willing to bet most people who lose a lot of weight this way will end up putting it back on at some point.

Not trying to be a ****...just would like the logic behind it and learn from why you think it's the way to go!
  • I don't only because I eat based on hunger and I'm usually hungry :) BUT I also don't buy into the whole thing of having to eat at a certain time, certain amount blah blah blah blah - if I stay under my calorie allotment I lose weight. If I go over I gain weight. So, I just focus on that bottom line. Somedays I'm barely hungry all day so I just sip on a protein shake at some point for a little energy and then eat most of my calories at dinner. Other days I wake up hungry and I eat. I've found when I chill out and just listen to my body I feel better.

If we are going somewhere for dinner and I know I'm not going to be happy getting a side salad or grilled chicken I eat very little all day and enjoy my dinner. :)

I don't know much about the science...I just know that when I lost weight successfully in the past it was because I didn't freak out over macros and timing and all that jazz. I just ate less and moved more and i tell ya I ate a LOT of my calories late at night!
  • Saxmis
    Saxmis Posts: 84
    I tend to just eat when I'm hungry, when my body actually REQUIRES food. So, this usually means that I just eat once a day. It's difficult at first and requires willpower so as to not lead to binge eating, but I find that it's quite beneficial to my weight loss.