POLAR FT4

Options
OK i i gave in and bought one - love it.

I have a few questions - the watch/strap says i burnt a lot more calories than the MFP calculated settings - am i doing something wonrg??? Does anyonehve a smliar experience?

Also, does anyone know where i should find out where my target heart rate should be???

THANKS IN ADVANCE!!

Replies

• dorkynerd
    dorkynerd Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I've been on the fence with buying this model!!! GRRRRR!!! I think Im going to cave though.
  • htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    There is a formula for target heart rate but I'll let someone more versed answer that part...
    I have the FT4 and my calorie burn was slightly higher than MFP estimates. I tend to go with the polar calorie count after all it is tracking your heart rate so it knows how hard you're working!
  • lambertj
    lambertj Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    I got mine about 2 weeks ago and I love it! The calories it tells you that you burn are correct, the ones here in MFP are so off its scary. I tested mine against the stairmaster and the treadmill and both were way off. However, the stairmaster was closer to actual calories burned. Now that I have it I find myself competing against my biggest burns to do better and better.
  • louisau
    louisau Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    maximum heart rate is 220 minus your age
    the target zone seems to be a bit of a marketing gimmick but according to Polar it is between 65% and 85% of the maximum heart rate.
    I have found that as long as I stay at about 85-90% of maximum rate I can run for longer. If I get my heart rate too high my legs start burning and turn to lead.

The calorie burn is calculated by a formula that takes into account average heart rate, age, sex and weight. The MFP does not have the heart rate to work with.

You can mail me if you need more info. I'm no expert just a FT4 user
  • abbybean11
    abbybean11 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I also have an FT4 (love it too!!) and I always subtract my BMR (however many calories I would have burned just sitting around doing nothing) from the calories I burned during the workout. When I do that, my calorie burn is almost always the same as what MFP gives me.

So just sitting around, I burn 1.3 calories per minute. Say I workout for 60 minutes and burn 500 calories. I multiply 1.3 by 60 (minutes), then subtract that from 500.

If you have any questions about that, feel free to message me!
  • chrissym78
    chrissym78 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    have it, love it! My experience has been the opposite though, mfp and the calorie counters on my treadmill and stationary bike estimated higher burns. I definitely go with the polar.
  • Goal_Seeker_1988
    Goal_Seeker_1988 Posts: 1,619 Member
    Options
    bump

i just recieved mine in the mail and haven't tried it out yet
  • kirstenleo
    kirstenleo Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I want one of these so bad but they are so expensive. May I ask where you got yours and how much was it?
  • david081
    david081 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Congrats on buying a quality product! (no I don't work for Polar, I just own one) make sure you have correctly inputted your personal stats, but otherwise YES your HRM is giving you an accurate readout!

regards, David
  • lambertj
    lambertj Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Got mine online from newegg.com for $79.99 (free shipping)
  • ALH1981
    ALH1981 Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    I want one of these so bad but they are so expensive. May I ask where you got yours and how much was it?

I got it from amazon for 70 dollars!! bargain!!! Well worth it.. I'd been thinking about it for a while but think it was a good investment!

However, I will tell you that It is an ugly pink color. Regardless, it is very very very simple to use so its good for me!

Really, I just wanted to know whether i was doing something wrong as it really says i burnt a lot more calories thanMPF estimates.
    Im going to try it in a strength/core class today and see what happens...

I think its going to get me to start to challenge myself for upping my heart rate.....!!! If the calculations are as per the aboveineed to work ALOT herder!!!! haha

WEll
  • bmacholiday
    bmacholiday Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I bought the Polar FT4 and loved it until I started working out at the gym again, it would cross track between the other machines. Sometimes I would completely lose the workout I had just done and it always high jacked the machines next to me. I sold that one to a friend who doesn't work out at the gym and bought the Polar FT40. Love it just as much and now I'm not covering up the HR on the treadmill so the people around don't figure out it's me. :blushing:
  • Amanda0325
    Amanda0325 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    i LOVE my FT4.. i was actually pleasantly surprised i was burning MORE than the treadmill said.. but i think that is cause the treadmill is not tracking heart rate and i'm consistantly in the high 150-160s when running
  • Amanda0325
    Amanda0325 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    also if anyone has CITI or any card that has thank you points.... they have the ft4 for men and woman and another polar as a gift for your points i think mine was like 10,000 points or something :D
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    make sure you inputted your weight correctly lbs as lbs, not your lbs as Kgs, that would have the watch think you are 2.2 times heavier than you are therefore giving your larger burns. And make sure you gender is correct as men tend to burn more at the same weight.
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    maximum heart rate is 220 minus your age
    the target zone seems to be a bit of a marketing gimmick but according to Polar it is between 65% and 85% of the maximum heart rate.
    I have found that as long as I stay at about 85-90% of maximum rate I can run for longer. If I get my heart rate too high my legs start burning and turn to lead.

The calorie burn is calculated by a formula that takes into account average heart rate, age, sex and weight. The MFP does not have the heart rate to work with.

You can mail me if you need more info. I'm no expert just a FT4 user

Ahhhh your posting has helped me no end, thank you!!!

I have had the Polar FT4 for a few weeks and love it to bits, it was just the zone thingy confused me, but I understand now!

Interesting you saying about heart rate too high and legs turning to lead too, that must be a common thing to happen because I get that but had never tied it to max heart rate, but it certainly looks as if that could be why.
  • alexandria412
    alexandria412 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I really like my FT4. Mine is also more generous with calorie burn than MFP. I almost always do interval workouts, so I'm just optimistic and hope that the FT4 knows whats up.

The watch has a setting so that you can view your % of maximum instead of BPM, which I find to be more useful. Saying that I'm at 100 BMP doesn't mean much to me; saying that I'm at 85% of maximum effort is easier to understand. Try pressing all the buttons to see which settings you like best.

I really enjoy the HRM because I'm kinda neurotic and I like to have the best estimates possible when planning my caloric intake.

Good luck! I think you'll enjoy having it.
  • DisneyMommy
    Options
    Mine always come out way lower than MFP's, so depressing sometimes. Oh well.

For those looking to buy one, try Bodytronics.com and try discount code "POPO" that will get you an additional 5% off. My Polar FT4 cost $58 plus tax.
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options

Try Amazon, that's where I got mine :)
  • KimH313
    KimH313 Posts: 162
    Options
    Mine always come out way lower than MFP's, so depressing sometimes. Oh well.

For those looking to buy one, try Bodytronics.com and try discount code "POPO" that will get you an additional 5% off. My Polar FT4 cost $58 plus tax.

This^