Modified-Modified Push-Up?

I started the 30 Day Shred and I can't even do 2 push-ups in a row without it feeling like my wrists are breaking in half...any suggestions? I am about 130 pounds overweight and already doing them the "modified" way...

Replies

• katisabanana
    katisabanana Posts: 185 Member
    lay your legs completely down, push up from the waist up, only do this until you're comfortable doing it, then switch back to the modified way.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,905 Member
    Bring your hands in closer to your body. Let you elbows stay close instead of going outward. You'll feel this in the triceps, but as they get stronger, a push up will too.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    "Girly" pushups hurt my wrists and my knees.
  • Nikki582
    Nikki582 Posts: 561 Member
    put your arms higher, against a coffee table or a table - even doing a push up against a wall and work your way lower.
  • nopeekiepeekie
    nopeekiepeekie Posts: 338 Member
    For the 30DS, I do a standing push up off of the wall. My arms cannot push my body up off the floor yet.
  • NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    Hi! When I started I could hardly do 2 modified push ups too. I just did as many as I could and now I can do them all! Still modified though ;)
    Good luck and great job doing the shred!!
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    If your wrists are hurting, maybe you should get some push-up stands. You can get a cheap pair at Wal-Mart. They alter the way you position wrists in push-ups causing it to be less painful. You can still do modified push-ups with the stands.
  • taraknits
    taraknits Posts: 29 Member
    Once again, SUPER ideas! I will try them all :) I <3 MFP :)
  • You can turn your wrists out to the side rather than straight on so there is not direct pressure. Another option is using yoga blocks or if you have strong hands you can pushup on your knuckles which makes it so your wrists are not bent.

ISSA Certified Personal Trainer