Is Drinking Tea okay?

Options
hey MFP,
I'm sick, so I want some tea which I LOAD with honey, lemon juice, and some sugar....how bad is that??! I haven't checked the nutrition facts on tea but I figured it wouldn't be that bad...?

Replies

• Felidae_1981
    Felidae_1981 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Tea is fine - no calories in itself, honey I think is fine (if naturally sweetened)...sugar, try to limit that or use a sweetener instead?

Hope you feel better!
  • naseak
    naseak Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    tea is great it's what you put in it that you have to be careful about.
  • odonogc
    odonogc Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I think if you're sick, go for it, but then once you're well, have it without sugar. :)
  • noelsmommy8
    Options
    I have a cup of tea every afternoon and evening with a teaspoon of honey in it. I believe the tea is free, the honey is about 35 calories, and the lemon juice should only be a few. I could be wrong, but I think its a great soothing treat!

Kelly
  • iSpeakLife
    iSpeakLife Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    oooh I never even thought about artificial sweetener, thanks guys!
  • kendrafallon
    kendrafallon Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    hey MFP,
    I'm sick, so I want some tea which I LOAD with honey, lemon juice, and some sugar....how bad is that??! I haven't checked the nutrition facts on tea but I figured it wouldn't be that bad...?

Tea on it's own, should be very low calorie, it's what you put into it that makes it not-so good
  • tehzephyrsong
    tehzephyrsong Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    If you're sick, tea with honey is a godsend. When you get well again, start drinking it unsweetened or with just some lemon in it. Good to see you don't put milk or cream in it; that piles on the calories.
  • Felidae_1981
    Felidae_1981 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    oooh I never even thought about artificial sweetener, thanks guys!

If any I'd get Stevia or another "natural" sweetener. But won't the honey make it sweet enough? I don't like the way honey tastes, but I'd think it would help.
  • bloodguilt
    Options
    hey MFP,

Tea is definitely great, especially green tea. Enjoy it without any additives. If you must, add honey.
  • TinaP413
    Options
    I was addicted to McDonald's sweet Tea. Now I have regular tea with "fake" sugar. It still tastes the same! Woohoo!
    Hope you get to feeling better!!
  • myak623
    myak623 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    hey MFP,

Tea is great, green tea (IMO) is better choice for being sick. If you are using store bought honey, then it's probably not really honey since the nutritional benefits have been processed out. Local honey would be good. Hope you feel better.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    The tea is very good for you, but the sugar and honey (2 sugars) should be logged.
  • iSpeakLife
    iSpeakLife Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Just an FYI, my tea was DIVINE and cost me about 80 cals (I HAD to add the honey! LOL). I used Splenda instead of sugar too.

Thanks for the advice everyone!