I <3 Squats

Options

Replies

• jarrettd
    jarrettd Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    Thanks, Addisons and Taso. Hope my ancient knees will forgive me, but I think I wanna go for it. Granite-butt sounds pretty sexy to me. :laugh:
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    Yay! I love squats too (have them tomorrow)
    Why would you not want to use the pad for the bar? Are you supposed to look cooler without it? I'd rather not have red marks all over the back of my neck.

It's uncomfortable at first not using the pad, but you really do get used to it.

I don't know the details of why it's better (although I see a few other people have answered that) All I know it used to feel really uncomfortable but pretty soon I adjusted to it, and the bar rests nicely on me now :) I've never had red marks, it shouldn't even be as far up as your neck.
  • SammyPacks
    SammyPacks Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    What's a tampon bar??

The pad that you can put around the bar.

I hate those things!
  • addisondisease2
    addisondisease2 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    When it comes to the pu$$Y pad and the bar hurting, the best advice i've heard (as long as bar placement is correct) is this:

"suck it up"
  • wareagle8706
    wareagle8706 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    LOVE THIS!!!!!!!!!
  • dane11235813
    dane11235813 Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    Learning to <3 squats, but can't quite get ATG. What should come first? More weight or a deeper squat?

I'm a little old for just starting training (44yrs), and I can only go to where my thighs are parallel to the floor, with 85#. Where should I go from here?

Less weight. Focus on form. Form comes first always, even if it means taking away all the weight and doing just body weight No exceptions to this, ever.

this....and work on your flexibility in your hips as well.

and body weight squats do not mean up down up down up down as fast as you can like certain people do.
  • addisondisease2
    Options
    like those cross fit morons do.

Here we go!

Its been awhile since we had a topic hyjacked into a cross fit hate topic.
  • dane11235813
    Options
    like those "people" do.

Here we go!

fixed...keeping the peace....
  • thefuzz1290
    thefuzz1290 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    like those cross fit morons do.

Here we go!

A while as in yesterday? :P
  • addisondisease2
    Options
    Haha and this is why i love this place! :drinker:
  • Guardien
    Guardien Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I have a love/hate relationship with squats until I get the weight back up. Then I will love them again. It's amazing how detrimental knee injuries are to you squats; even after you've healed.
    The Stingray doesn't work for me because of the size of my traps.
    The "tampon" a.k.a. the "pu$$y pad" is for girls (not real women who lift) and soccer players. Hence it's nickname.
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    You don't have to train ATG if you're training low-bar.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    I don't go *kitten* to grass but just past parallel. Should I go *kitten* to grass?
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    I don't go *kitten* to grass but just past parallel. Should I go *kitten* to grass?

If you want your butt to pop, yup.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options

As long as you're breaking the parallel, you're good. But it's good to use ATG as a mental cue. Sometimes, even when I think I'm way way way down, I'm barely parallel.
  • dane11235813
    Options

As long as you're breaking the parallel, you're good. But it's good to use ATG as a mental cue. Sometimes, even when I think I'm way way way down, I'm barely parallel.

that's a good point. if you're aiming for ATG then you don't have to worry as much about checking your form in the mirror to make sure you're low enough.
  • I LOVE SQUATS TOO! HACK/PAUSE/FRONT squats, always go heavy! never had a problem with knees!
  • rlawrimore
    rlawrimore Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    ATG as some of you put it is really terrible on your knees. To get a good workout you only need to go parallel.
  • addisondisease2
    Options
    ATG as some of you put it is really terrible on your knees. To get a good workout you only need to go parallel.

If you are hurting your knees, you are doing it wrong.
  • addisondisease2
    Options
    1324440759816.jpg

This man must be KILLLLING his knees!