How do you deal with people who think they know everything?

Options

Replies

• loseweightjames
    Options
    Okay so most people who are overweight know what we need to do to lose weight. There are many methods and ideas about it, and all of them can work. Most of us on MFP have found something that works.

But why I ask...do friends, family, and co-workers think that when I've found something that is working for me, it is their job to tell me what I'm doing wrong, or what else I COULD be doing.

IT'S SO FRUSTRATING!

So my question is...how do you deal? I know I should just ignore it, I don't want to be a biotch about it...

So what do I do?

there's two people I hate:
    1) the fat people that apparently know everything about weight loss but can't manage to lose any weight, or they tell you "I've lost 20 pounds!" and you're thinking "WHERE?!" or "That's Nice, only 100 lbs to go!"

2) the skinny people that have never been fat a day in their life that love to tell you how to lose weight because, you know, they know how, since they were born with a high metabolism.

Actually had a in-law get on facebook and yell at all the fat people because they eat too much and won't lose weight and then she continued to brag about being size 0 and 00 after having 2 kids. Yeah, but she's an exact clone of her mom, who is still a 0 well into her 50s/60s, so it's easy to see why she's not fat, she was blessed with skinny genes.

No one said anything bad about it because too many men were already replying to her post saying how right she was
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    I usually bench/squat/deadlift them into submission that i'm right and they are wrong :)

:wink: :wink: :wink: :laugh:
  • msjessae
    Options
    Ignore and speak to yourself.

Look out of the situation and see it from outside.
  • Mcctin65
    Mcctin65 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    "Well bless your heart!" :bigsmile:

Bahahahah I'm from the south, that's southern for "You are so, so stupid. I hope you marry somebody with money."

I'm definitely using this one in the future!
  • becky2967
    Options
    I like the "maybe I'll try that" response. It puts them off politely, showing that you'll consider their advice, but doesn't make you defensive because you'll know if you'll actually consider it or not. There are certain approaches that I write off for me, tried 'em don't work for me. But in a social situation its easier to say "maybe I'll try that" and move on.
    same here. if you say even nicely, No i dont like the sound of that' the atmosphere changes very quickly. i did the 'maybe i'll try that yesterday actually, easy way to change the subject too!
  • SaketoKim
    SaketoKim Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Just tell them what works for them, is not always what works for others. I have my own method of madnes when it comes to weightloss and work outs. If people ask from seeing my results I tell them... but I say the disclaimer "this is what works for me"
    At the end of the day, they are not with you when YOU are putting in the work to lose weight. Don't sweat it, it's not worth the worrying about what everyone thinks you should do! :tongue: Happy Friday!
  • LoriBarefoot
    LoriBarefoot Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I hate this. This is why I don't tell people I'm trying to lose weight. It's even worse when the person telling you has never lost weight in their life and think they know best. Or when your mother says "don't be stupid stop exercising, a walk down the road will do it". . . . . ohhh if only lol

Haha! Yea my mother says, "I'm not starving myself. I did that my whole life, I'm done!."....Uhhhhh, news flash: I'M NOT STARVING!!!! Eating healthy does not mean you're not eating! You can eat to lose!!
  • SwannySez
    SwannySez Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options

That made my morning. Plus I can't read it without hearing it in my head with a li'l twang to it.

As far as people "helping" you? Have you ever seen the show "Dexter"? It's a good thing I live near a big *kitten* river.
  • kappy_hollowell
    Options
    Ignore them! or act like your listening whilst singing a song in you rhead!
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    I usually bench/squat/deadlift them into submission that i'm right and they are wrong :)
    In all honesty though, you will get this no matter how you look. Everyone is right in their own mind so just tell them what you are doing is working for you and everyones body handles diet/excercise differently.

What you mean like bodyslam them? :laugh:
  • airlily
    airlily Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I either ignore them, or I recycle generic statements:

1) That definitely gives me something to think about.
    2) Oh, thanks for your input. I'll remember that.
    3) I never thought of it that way, thanks!
    4) Oh, is that so? I didn't know that.
  • LoriBarefoot
    LoriBarefoot Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Okay so most people who are overweight know what we need to do to lose weight. There are many methods and ideas about it, and all of them can work. Most of us on MFP have found something that works.

But why I ask...do friends, family, and co-workers think that when I've found something that is working for me, it is their job to tell me what I'm doing wrong, or what else I COULD be doing.

IT'S SO FRUSTRATING!

So my question is...how do you deal? I know I should just ignore it, I don't want to be a biotch about it...

So what do I do?

1) the fat people that apparently know everything about weight loss but can't manage to lose any weight, or they tell you "I've lost 20 pounds!" and you're thinking "WHERE?!" or "That's Nice, only 100 lbs to go!"

2) the skinny people that have never been fat a day in their life that love to tell you how to lose weight because, you know, they know how, since they were born with a high metabolism.

Actually had a in-law get on facebook and yell at all the fat people because they eat too much and won't lose weight and then she continued to brag about being size 0 and 00 after having 2 kids. Yeah, but she's an exact clone of her mom, who is still a 0 well into her 50s/60s, so it's easy to see why she's not fat, she was blessed with skinny genes.

No one said anything bad about it because too many men were already replying to her post saying how right she was

Ugh! What a tool. Her, that is. Not you.
  • kiminikimkim
    kiminikimkim Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    I normally smile and say sincerely, "Ah Thanks! Sounds like a great idea!"

Make them think you'll actually consider it. They lose all ammunition. Conversation over.
  • JenPro77
    Options
    I DON'T!!! =)
  • BoxingChick
    BoxingChick Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    People who think they know everything annoy the hell out of us that actually do......haha...fav quote of mine!

It depends who gives the advice...if they are in super good shape and are in the business I will appreciate what they tell me, but if it is someone who really doesn't know what they are talking about I will continue the conversation and talk about really confusing subjects like BMR, BMI, macro nutrients, different heart rate zones, high protein, low carb stuff and ask their opinion and then they admit they don't really know what those things are....haha! :laugh:
  • mickipedia
    mickipedia Posts: 889 Member
    Options

IT'S SO FRUSTRATING!

So what do I do?

I just look them up and down and say "So that worked for you did it?" and tilt my head to the side.. usually shuts them up :)
  • TamImbrogno
    TamImbrogno Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    LOL! Love it! Pretty much when someone tries to push their opinions on me they already know its going to make me mad so I try to avoid the subject! If they still persist then I tell them everyone is different! I am doing what works best for me and my body, when/if I ever need their help I will make sure they know it! Until then a shut mouth would be appreciated!
  • ericabrothers
    Options
    You must be southern :drinker: I use that phrase soooo much :laugh: :laugh:
  • kiminikimkim
    kiminikimkim Posts: 746 Member
    Options

IT'S SO FRUSTRATING!

So what do I do?

Tell the in-law you have a defect in Chromosome 16 in your genes.

Ask her for a cure.

If she doesn't have one for you, tell her not to discriminate you because her chromosome 16 is intact and yours isn't. It's like blaming someone for being born without an arm. Sheesh.

http://www.news-medical.net/?tag=/Chromosome-16
  • ericabrothers
    Options

Bahahahah I'm from the south, that's southern for "You are so, so stupid. I hope you marry somebody with money."

hahahahaha!!! That just made my day.....

I second that!!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: