faster lunch ideas??

Options
My worst meal of the day is lunch I am usually so hungry I make what is quick or I will have a salad when I have more time....so for faster meals that are healthy and will help with weight loss what the heck do you eat? I avoid sandwich meats as the nitrates and other chemicals cause cancer...so I need more ideas for faster and quick tasty lunches. If you have any good recipes that are easy and quick please share! I will sometimes have a grilled cheese and I am hoping to get that out of my diet and more for treats only....I just need more ideas as I am not a creative cook.

Star

Replies

• dargytaylor
    dargytaylor Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    leftovers from dinner!!

or I sometimes also make a big batch of soup on the weekend and eat all week for lunch
  • jstutz
    jstutz Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Buy a chicken or turkey (organic if you want) and roast it yourself. Let it cool completely and slice it up for "lunchmeat" and/or chicken salad with low-fat or FF mayo, celery, onions. Hard boiled eggs too for salads or sandwiches.
  • MrDude_1
    MrDude_1 Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options
    My worst meal of the day is lunch I am usually so hungry I make what is quick or I will have a salad when I have more time....so for faster meals that are healthy and will help with weight loss what the heck do you eat? I avoid sandwich meats as the nitrates and other chemicals cause cancer...so I need more ideas for faster and quick tasty lunches. If you have any good recipes that are easy and quick please share! I will sometimes have a grilled cheese and I am hoping to get that out of my diet and more for treats only....I just need more ideas as I am not a creative cook.

Star

I was going to say sandwichs before you mentioned the no sandwich meats.... you can still make sandwichs, but its alot more work when you have to cut it yourself.
  • Front_Runner
    Options
    I eat Brown Rice Cakes with Hummus - sometimes I'll add tomato slices and/or spinach, too. If I don't have rice cakes - good quality toast (something with whole grains, etc.) with Hummus. I LOVE hummus as an alternate to meats/spreads. Try it as a sandwich sometime... get your bread, 1-2 Tablespoons Hummus, add veggies (i.e. tomatoes, lettuce, spinach, onion, avocado, sprouts, etc.). SO good.

Pair your hummus/rice cake or sando with a cup of decent soup. I use boxed Trader Joe's Low Sodium Roasted Red Pepper Tomato. Pour a cup in the microwave, and heat it up - super fast.

I also eat Smart Dogs on occasion. Super duper fast. 30 secs in the microwave, slap it on a piece of decent bread with a Tbl. Katsup, Mustard, Tomatoes, maybe onions or something if I'm inclined. They are veggie based "hot dogs." It's like 45 cal a dog I think. They're not the best - but I like them when I'm in a hurry, as they literally take NO time.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Cottage cheese & fruit

Veggie plate with dip, string cheese & whole grain crackers

Throw a bunch of chicken breasts in the crock pot and season. Shred the meat with a fork when done. You'll have lots of meat for salads, sandwiches and such
  • Front_Runner
    Options
    Also - Tuna mixed with a little bit of mayo (I like that olive oil mayo from kraft) and mustard is a fast easy spread. Love it on toast with the usual trimmings (tomato, lettuce, maybe onion). If you prefer - you can use canned chicken or canned salmon. OR - make hard boiled eggs the night before and store them in your fridge. Can make an egg-sal-sando or just enjoy a hard boiled egg as a great high protein snack!

Just another though! :)
  • jskaggs1971
    jskaggs1971 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I buy a big sack of frozen precooked chicken breasts, and keep them in the freezer at work. They heat up in about two minutes in the microwave, and go great on a salad. The protein keeps me feeling full until dinner, and a big salad with the chicken and dressing is about 300 calories.
  • OceansForever
    OceansForever Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I prepare lunches on weekends (I do that for dinners as well) and cook a big batch and freeze individual serving sizes, so I only have to heat up at work.

Easiest ever for me!
  • MariaChele85
    MariaChele85 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I buy those healthy choice frozen meals. When i get to work i let it thaw out, and by the time its my lunch, I just pop it in the microwave for about 2 min. Also i buy those steamable veggies in a bag to add to the meal. They are cheap and filling.
  • bettyboop573
    bettyboop573 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    leftovers from dinner!!

or I sometimes also make a big batch of soup on the weekend and eat all week for lunch

same here :)
  • unmitigatedbadassery
    Options
    Here's a tip from me:

Buy large packages of chicken breast. Bake them on Sunday. Simple - salt, pepper - then let them cool. I slice mine up and portion into individual baggies/containers. You've always got some protein ready to go!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    leftovers from dinner!!

Yep, this ^^ is what I do most days. There's nothing quicker or easier that reheating delicious healthy food prepared last night.
  • creativefrugalmom
    creativefrugalmom Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    You can pre-cook chicken breast and put them in the fridge for up to 3 days and just heat them. I also make salad, put it in a bowl, put a damp paper towel over it and eat it over the course of 2 or 3 days. I just add the dressing, etc. later. Another, if you like bell peppers and veggies, I precook (sautee), put them into individual sized bowls and eat them throughout the week. I will usually add some of the precooked chicken breast or leftover steak or something to them.

Also, you can make tuna salad the night before and add to a pita pocket, sandwich thin, tortilla or something of that nature.
  • RandomMiranda
    Options
    I also try to make a few meals on the weekend to keep in the fridge for lunches. It's usually chicken breast and veggies. If I haven't done that though, I have a can of soup (organic or at least low sodium) or a bag a steam-in-bag vegetables. It's not usually enough calories, so I have some almonds or greek yogurt and get more protein at dinner.
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    I like to use leftovers. Just make extra at dinner and freeze it in single servings. Before long you have a freezer full of lunch options!
  • Fitnin6280
    Fitnin6280 Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    I love the individual min rice cups. I microwave it and throw canned tuna on top of it. I keep a few baby carrots on hand too if I am still hungry.
  • jgirl09
    Options
    Lean Cuisines for me or the "Ready to Go" Tuna and Crackers or Chicken Salad and Crackers with a hard boiled egg.
  • kaetra
    kaetra Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Wasa crispbread with hummus and a side of fruit is my favorite quick meal. It's filling, low cal, easy and satisfies savory and sweet tastes. I keep a package of Wasa at work and grab the tub of hummus and fruit from home each day.

Wasa's great with other things too like tuna salad, laughing cow cheese, bruschetta - practically anything you could put on a piece of bread or a cracker. It's got a great crunch and it's very versatile. Love it!
  • ladybg81
    ladybg81 Posts: 1,553 Member
    Options
    Prep the night before and then you will only have to heat and eat, or just eat.
  • beckys19
    beckys19 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Shake-n-bake style chichen breasts. Make them up ahead of time, and keep in the fridge. Also, if you check out the organic section or go to a store like Whole Foods, they have nitrate-free lunchmeats. I picked up peperoni there when I was pregnant and just HAD to have pizza. Plus you shold be able to find nitrate-free turkey hotdogs there too.

Talking of pizza, if you have access to a toaster oven for lunch, get a slice of whole grain bread, put on a dab of tomato sauce, some part skim mozerella, veggies, and if you like a little bit of nitrate-free peperoni and bake up. Maybe 10 mins prep to eat.

Pasta salads made with whole wheat or veggie pasta and light Italian dressing are good too. Toss in some cukes, sweet pepper, onions, maybe a bit of carrots. By the time I usually toss in all the veggies I cut up for a pasta salad it's about half veggie half pasta...

Also, I just recently discovered Al Fresco chicken sausage... my grocery had it on clearance because the expiry date was almost here (I froze them as soon as I got home!). http://www.alfrescoallnatural.com I love thefully cooked sweet apple one....160 cal, 7 total fat, 2 sat fat, 10 carbs 14 protein.