C25K - I really WANT to be a runner

Options
I have always hated running. I walked during the mile in high school. I played softball because if I hit the ball hard enough, I didnt have to run fast. But now, I want a challenge. I WANT to be a runner. I want to feel the endorphins spike as I take off for my morning run. Mostly I want to be fit and in shape and I want to be a role model for my lazy kids who also (you guessed it) HATE running. I have heard some good things about C25K and would like some pointers, advice, comments, suggestions, etc. for this transformation that I am undertaking.

Replies

• lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    I'm the same as you. Doing week 1 day 3 tonight of my modified C25k program. It really helps me build my confidence in my fitness level, being able to run even if just for a minute.
    There's a C25k group here too!
  • apriljack
    Options
    I just downloaded the app this morning and I am going to start this evening. I really excited and really nervous! I have been putting it off for weeks, I finally quit making excuses and I am just going to do it.
  • d3mon4ngel
    d3mon4ngel Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I just finished my first day of week one. The first few running/jogging parts were killing me, but the last two or three weren't too bad. It was harder than I had expected - never realised how long 60 seconds was!! - but it did seem to get easier at the end, which was also a surprise, but a nice one. :smile:
  • scs143
    scs143 Posts: 2,190 Member
    Options
    I finished it and I run 3x a week and I love it. Love it. Follow the program, don't be afraid to repeat a week if one is too hard and get the podcasts where they tell you in your ear when to walk and run so you are not attached to your phone/watch!
  • ahtrun
    Options
    I was in your same shoes before. ..My suggestions...
    GO get real running shoes for your feet! It may cost a bit more, but it'll make a world of difference. You can go to running specific stores like a RoadRunner
    Next, try going to a track at a highschool, and a challenge yourself each day. I started with running two laps then increased an extra lap each day I went out. then after I got to 8+ laps without dying..I started running on the road again at aleast a mile route.
    Also. sign up for a 5K so you have a goal. good luck!
  • mkruecke
    mkruecke Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Exciting! I love running...but was like you in high school...walked the mile. I decided about two years ago that I wanted to try to run to get into shape...and just wanted to be able to run 5 minutes! I followed a 5K training program with the goal to run the entire race...and succeeded!! Last fall, I ran a 10K...and this year I am shooting for a 1/2 marathon! I am not fast...but I enjoy running distance! I agree...get yourself fitted for running shoes so you will not end up with injuries early on! It makes a difference!
  • lrbohn
    lrbohn Posts: 11
    Options
    I didn't do the program you mentioned, however, I was in a similar boat as you when I started running. I'm 29 and I had run 3 miles one time in my life and 1 mile just for school. I really wanted to start running. I started in the beginning of December and I could only run about 1.2 miles (really slowly) I made myself stay on the treadmill and as soon as I felt in control of my breathing I would start a slow jog again. You'll be amazed at how fast you pick up the capacity to run further.

I have been really dedicated to running the last month and I've run 75 miles in the last 30 days and just got a 9 mile run in! I always tell myself "this isn't going to kill me, just a little bit more!"

Good luck to you!
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    I HATED RUNNING.
    I'm on Week 4 Day 1 today and although it is still really hard, if you work at it and go at it with a positive attitude (and a good pair of shoes) it's BRILLIANT. Builds cardio fitness, tones your legs and bum and works the arms and core. Full body conditioning!

I'm starting to love the BUZZ from running, even if I sometimes am a little scared by the workouts changing levels.
  • PixieGoddess
    PixieGoddess Posts: 1,833 Member
    Options
    C25K graduate! It's amazing! Almost 2 years later, I'm still running, though a lot less due to some none-running injuries and illnesses I've had. :(

I've posted these all over MFP but my pointers:
    -Print out the workout schedule and mark off workouts as you complete them. (This is a motivational trick, but I absolutely loved it.) Also, you should decide whether you want to track distance or time. Unless you have access to a track, I would suggest time. Just know you might not be running a full 3 miles at the end (very few beginners run a 10mm; I still don't) but you'll be able to run 30 minutes.
    -If you don't have one already, download an app for your phone or a podcast for your music player. The original C25K site (coolrunning.com) has links to lots of options. I understand that the apps will allow you to play music, then just give you a signal when it's time to switch between walking and running/jogging. I used a podcast, which had its own music and spoken cues. I used the one from Robert and he's really motivating.
    -Go as slow as you want. Speed will come later.
    -Use "active" or "dynamic" stretching (plenty of examples/videos online) before running; only do static stretches after a run.
    -Try to keep your arms in a front-back motion, not swinging side-to-side across your body.
    -Stay relaxed, esp. your arms, shoulders, and back. This will help you keep the right form. If you feel yourself tensing up, just shake it out.
    -ENJOY! SMILE! Every now and then, take a moment to realize what you've already acommplished and just grin like a fool! :bigsmile: (This will also help you stay relaxed)

These are my short-version tips, because I'm at work right now. I can go ON AND ON, if anybody wants me to. Good luck to you all and HAVE FUN!! :drinker:
  • tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,526 Member
    Options
    C25K is awesome! I'm 44 and I started it about 2 years ago, and I have been going strong! I first started because I needed a high-calorie burning exercise to keep losing without starvation. I'm still doing it because I love it! I wish I could run for longer, but I have a hard time carving out more than about 45 or 50 minutes most days to exercise. So for now, I have to be content with running fewer miles on more days! It still makes me feel great.

A bit on my exercise history, just so you can see how this changed my life. I was not much of a runner or exerciser ever before. I ran the mile in track in high school, just because if you weren't involved in some type of athletic endeavor, you automatically fell to the social level of "bottom feeder". Basically, I hated running, and just did it to get my PE credits, and hang out with cooler people than myself.

After high school, I exercised sporadically (think occaisional Jane Fonda and Jazzercise) to help manage my weight. I basically could easily maintain a slim body without a whole lot of effort until I turned about 30. At that point I gained a good bit of weight. I tried to keep exercising, but I always resented the fact that exercise was taking time away from everything else I wanted and needed to do. It was just something else on my to-do list.

But all that changed with C25K. I loved the way running made me feel both physically and psychologically from the very beginning, and it made me look great. I had been slim before, but now I actually had a good, well proportioned figure and I'm in shape. Now I LOOK for ways to fit in running, and other exercise. I also swim (always loved this) and bike when I can. But running is truly the most accessible form of exercise. You can do it anywhere, anytime. I'm considering a triatholon this spring, and I'm working on muscle tone with lots of Jillian Michael's circuit training dvds (6 week 6 pack is awesome).

I would encourage you to stick with this program. Don't worry if it takes you longer to complete it. I had to repeat several weeks in the middle of the program, so it took me longer than average, but no worries! I still did it. You can too!!!!!
  • JeSuisPrest
    JeSuisPrest Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    I have never been a runner either. But guess what? I complete C25K and have moved on to B210K (Bridge to 10K) !!!
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your decision! I also used to hate running and said I would never, never do it. I started C25K last April (and ended up sticking with interval running but that's another story!) and ran my first half marathon on January 15. My advice:

1. Do not run more often than every other day and don't do high impact activities on the days in between. Your body needs to get used to all of the pounding you're about to dish out and it needs time to rest and recover. Believe me when I tell you that if you don't follow this advice you'll end up with pain or an injury.
    2. Do not run on concrete, this includes sidewalks. Concrete is too hard a surface for running. Stick to asphalt or dirt. If you run on the street, ALWAYS run on the left side so that you're facing traffic. I have to dodge park cars in my neighborhood when I run but it's better than shin splints or other pain.
    3. If there is any pain in shins, ankles, knees, etc. evaluate the situation and ask yourself:
    * Am I pushing myself too hard?
    * Do I need to buy new shoes? (Running shoes wear out over time and you should be wearing ones that fit your stride)
    * Do I need to change my running surface?
    * Do I need to improve my form?
    You should be able to run without pain unless there is an underlying medical condition. If can answer the above four questions correctly, then it may be time to talk to your doctor.
    4. Have fun!
  • Nicola0000
    Nicola0000 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    C25k is great. I used it, and ran a 5k race in the summer. Now doing a 10k programme. Just follow the programme, no other tips required. Do you have it as an app on your phone as this makes it easier than having it on paper?
  • M_lifts
    M_lifts Posts: 2,224 Member
    Options
    do it! im so glad i discovered it! I went literally from struggling to run for 60 secs to managing over 90mins! and i love it! its my therapy, my 'me' time!
  • TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Options
    Same was true for me, walked the mile, played softball and was a hard hitter. On top of all that I had/have asthma. I started C25K last May

Last saturday I ran ten miles as I prepare for a half marathon. I love running, I look forward to it (most of the time), and I miss it if I am unable to for whatever reason.

You can do it! Stick to the program and don't let yourself stop. If one week is too hard, stay on it for another week, or another if you have to. It took me almost five months to complete the program but I did it, and so can you :)
  • 76Jones
    Options
    I have always hated running. I walked during the mile in high school. I played softball because if I hit the ball hard enough, I didnt have to run fast. But now, I want a challenge. I WANT to be a runner. I want to feel the endorphins spike as I take off for my morning run. Mostly I want to be fit and in shape and I want to be a role model for my lazy kids who also (you guessed it) HATE running. I have heard some good things about C25K and would like some pointers, advice, comments, suggestions, etc. for this transformation that I am undertaking.
    !

I am also a C25K graduate!!!! I HATED RUNNING...... I LOVE Running now! What a high! I about feel over on week 1 day 1. lol But now I run at least 3 times a week still! I have learned to take it slow and go slow! I don't run really I slow jogg but my heart rate is still above 155 all the time!

I just downloaded the C210K program! Good Luck and Happy journey!
  • howie4four
    howie4four Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I just ran 3 miles this morning. HATE the though running. HATE the first 10 minutes of it. But, I promise myself that I have to run 10 minutes and then, if I want to stop I can. Sometimes I do stop. But the 10 minutes are non-negotiable. Today I did tell myself I was going to run 3 miles...non negotiable. Really nothing beats the feeling after running. I love to feel proud of myself!! I'm not fast--I run at 5 - 6, but I really don't care. I've done the C25K. I've done alot of intervals (run a minute-walk a minute). That's how I am becoming a runner. I think the people at my gym consider me a runner---in my head, I'm not really a runner--but I keep running!!
  • tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,526 Member
    Options
    I just ran 3 miles this morning. HATE the though running. HATE the first 10 minutes of it. But, I promise myself that I have to run 10 minutes and then, if I want to stop I can. Sometimes I do stop. But the 10 minutes are non-negotiable. Today I did tell myself I was going to run 3 miles...non negotiable. Really nothing beats the feeling after running. I love to feel proud of myself!! I'm not fast--I run at 5 - 6, but I really don't care. I've done the C25K. I've done alot of intervals (run a minute-walk a minute). That's how I am becoming a runner. I think the people at my gym consider me a runner---in my head, I'm not really a runner--but I keep running!!

I always feel like I'm going to die for the first 5-10 minutes of my run! But usually, when I get to my finish time (I run by time, not distance), I feel like I could go on forever! So I'm guessing I am more of a distance runner, and less of a sprinter! Maybe that's you too.
  • violetness
    violetness Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I am SOOOOO like you - right down to playing softball! I was the cleanup hitter, too lol! I started c25k about 3 weeks ago. I could not do all the 60 second intervals, I couldn't even last the entire 60 seconds on the first week. I just finished week 2 day 3 this morning, and I think i am going to repeat it, but i am going faster and farther every time. I actually hit 4mph jogging, and was so excited! My goal is to run 5 mi a day 3 days a week. It may take me until the end of summer to get there, but that's my goal. And hopefully by then, I won't look so darned ridiculous doing it - I feel like an earthquake!
  • TXBelle1174
    TXBelle1174 Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    My coach told my mom "That kid can sure hit the ball but she runs like she has a damn refrigerator on her back". LOL I still run that way except now I AM the refrigerator. Thank you all so much. I need the encouragement and I appreciate your feedback.