I <3 Squats

Options
124»

Replies

• RachVR6
    RachVR6 Posts: 3,688 Member
    Options
    "Won't Squat Blow My Knees?

If you do them wrong for months, they will. Just like any other weight training exercise (or movement!) will get you injured if you do it wrong long enough. Many idiot personal trainers and "highly educated" (but dumb) doctors will tell you to do half Squats to keep your knees safe. This is the WORST advice ever - you'll HURT your knees if you do what they say.

Here's why: your knee joint is strongest in a fully flexed/extended position, not the positions in-between. On top of that, partial Squats only strengthen your quads, not your glutes and hamstrings. That will result in muscle imbalances and injuries. Half reps are also less effective for strength and muscle gains.

If you use common sense, you'll see that Squatting parallel is the logical thing to do. Here are some examples to get you on the right track...

In many parts of the world, Squatting deep is "normal" and people do it a lot. As an example, watch this video of the Asian Squat.
    Babies sit in the bottom Squat position all the time without injuring their knees. The fact that most guys lose this ability over the years, doesn't mean that Squatting parallel is bad for your knees.
    Thousands of weightlifters Squat deeper than described here and with heavier weights than most guys will ever handle. Nonetheless, weightlifting has the lowest rate of injury compared to any other sport.
    I also invite you to read the success story of SL Member Michael who had the worst knee pain ever until he finally started to do the Squats I describe here."

Quoted from StrongLifts.com :flowerforyou:

http://stronglifts.com/how-to-squat-with-proper-technique-fix-common-problems/
  • rlawrimore
    rlawrimore Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    1324440759816.jpg

This man must be KILLLLING his knees!

Lets see you do this your lifting carrer and well see you getting your knees replaced by the time you are 50.
  • addisondisease2
    addisondisease2 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    1324440759816.jpg

Lets see you do this your lifting carrer and well see you getting your knees replaced by the time you are 50.

There was a study done on the "health" of people knees, power/weight lifters had the healthiest knees out of all the sports that were part of the study.

So again, if you are hurting your knees you are doing it wrong.

Not trying to be mean or anything, but please don't teach this bro-science any more, its not beneficial to the MFP community.
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    1324440759816.jpg

http://articles.elitefts.com/articles/training-articles/why-the-hell-would-i-want-to-half-squat/

So how exactly is this "hurting peoples knees"? Show me the evidence.
  • stubbysticks
    stubbysticks Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    This has been very interesting commentary being still somewhat new to weightlifting. I think I might try deloading & going without the pad to see how that goes.

As far as the ATG, I'd like to shoot for that too, but I have a different & somewhat embarrassing issue that makes that difficult but maybe someone here could offer a suggestion anyway. I can squat down to parallel, but going beyond that is rough because I still have a lot of weight to lose, i.e. lots of midsection flab. When I get down into the squat, it gets all squished up into the most attractive spare tire you could fathom & my form becomes an issue. I don't know, maybe I'll practice some with an unloaded bar to see if I can figure out a way to do it, but as it is I have to keep a pretty wide stance.
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    This has been very interesting commentary being still somewhat new to weightlifting. I think I might try deloading & going without the pad to see how that goes.

As far as the ATG, I'd like to shoot for that too, but I have a different & somewhat embarrassing issue that makes that difficult but maybe someone here could offer a suggestion anyway. I can squat down to parallel, but going beyond that is rough because I still have a lot of weight to lose, i.e. lots of midsection flab. When I get down into the squat, it gets all squished up into the most attractive spare tire you could fathom & my form becomes an issue. I don't know, maybe I'll practice some with an unloaded bar to see if I can figure out a way to do it, but as it is I have to keep a pretty wide stance.

You might be using too narrow of a stance. Slightly wider than shoulder width is usually a good indicator. Also your feet may need to be pointed slightly outwards. This will allow your knees to move out of the way of your torso so you can get deeper.
  • addisondisease2
    Options

It is ok if you don't look good when squatting, the hell what others think how you look while squatting. If anyone is watching you squat it is because:

A. you have awesome form and they want to see how they can improve their own
    B. They have no idea how to squat and wish they were as cool as you
    C. They like big butts, and can not lie
    D. You have terrible form and they want to see you buckle at the knees and fall.

Pick one.
  • kblu0816
    kblu0816 Posts: 1,627 Member
    Options
    So I did squats all the time in high school with my weight lifting coach but have since drifted into leg press land. I <3 leg press. I still do squats but normally it's just BW squats, or jump squats. I'm somewhat afraid to start doing REAL squats again due to an old back injury. And I know that if you're using your back, you're doing it wrong but won't doing weighted squats compress your spine and if you already have an injury, make it worse? All my gym has is a Smith Machine so maybe I'll just start with Dumbbell squats? Thoughts?
  • kblu0816
    Options
    It is ok if you don't look good when squatting, the hell what others think how you look while squatting. If anyone is watching you squat it is because:

A. you have awesome form and they want to see how they can improve their own
    B. They have no idea how to squat and wish they were as cool as you
    C. They like big butts, and can not lie
    D. You have terrible form and they want to see you buckle at the knees and fall.

Pick one.

C is usually the case for me :laugh: :wink:
  • addisondisease2
    Options
    So I did squats all the time in high school with my weight lifting coach but have since drifted into leg press land. I <3 leg press. I still do squats but normally it's just BW squats, or jump squats. I'm somewhat afraid to start doing REAL squats again due to an old back injury. And I know that if you're using your back, you're doing it wrong but won't doing weighted squats compress your spine and if you already have an injury, make it worse? All my gym has is a Smith Machine so maybe I'll just start with Dumbbell squats? Thoughts?

yes there is spinal compression when squatting, that is why box squats can be very dangerous, talk to your doctor and see what he says.
  • kblu0816
    Options

yes there is spinal compression when squatting, that is why box squats can be very dangerous, talk to your doctor and see what he says.

Thanks! If I had an inversion table I wouldn't have to worry about the compression :laugh:
  • dane11235813
    dane11235813 Posts: 684 Member
    Options

stay away from the Smith Machine for squatting. dumb bell squats are effective, but they are a totally different exercise compared to a barbell squat in my opinion. you could also try front squatting with a barbell or over head squats with a light weight

no offence, but those are the ugliest jerseys i've seen in a while :bigsmile:

GO BIG RED!!!