Forgoing breakfast foods for breakfast drinks?

Options
Lately I don't seem to want to eat anything solid in the morning so I've been trying smoothies... I'll use some protein powder, 3/4 cup skim milk, a frozen banana, some berries, etc. I find that doesn't keep me full very long. I'm now trying "nestle carnation' breakfast powder. I find it keeps me full and satisified until I eat my morning snack....

I know it's probably not the best thing out there for me...any other suggestions?

Replies

• vilardip1
    Options
    as long as you aren't relying on it for multiple meals a day it really is ok if that keeps you full...maybe supplement with something whole (i.e., a handful of berries or something) but once a day is fine for a "meal" replacement
  • JenniferLynWhat
    Options
    If I'm running out the door in the morning I grab a slim fast shake....as long as I'm not making the conscious decision of "i'm just not going to eat a full breakfast today" I can usually keep my mind off it and won't feel hungry til lunch time. If I'm fully aware that I've given up a meal for a protein bar or shake, i'm hungry within 1-2 hours....

I think a lot of it is in your head. "This is just a smoothie" and then you're hungry again...maybe find something to really occupy your thoughts after eating such a small breakfast

on the flip side:
    Breakfast is SUPER important for jump starting your metabolism...if you can eat real food..I recommend doing so
  • determined2lose89
    determined2lose89 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    If I'm running out the door in the morning I grab a slim fast shake....as long as I'm not making the conscious decision of "i'm just not going to eat a full breakfast today" I can usually keep my mind off it and won't feel hungry til lunch time. If I'm fully aware that I've given up a meal for a protein bar or shake, i'm hungry within 1-2 hours....

I think a lot of it is in your head. "This is just a smoothie" and then you're hungry again...maybe find something to really occupy your thoughts after eating such a small breakfast

on the flip side:
    Breakfast is SUPER important for jump starting your metabolism...if you can eat real food..I recommend doing so

Thanks so much for your input! :flowerforyou:
  • vypeters
    vypeters Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I have had drinks for breakfast for a while. I want protein in the morning and don't have time for much protein food. I've done ham & cheese roll-ups but the deli meats aren't the best choice so the shakes seemed the default.

Suggestion: I've discovered that 2% milk makes a smoothie stick much longer for me. Don't know why, maybe my body craves the fat. But the calorie impact isn't enormous at 3/4 cup, maybe 35 extra calories. Consider trying that.
  • hollyjeanw
    Options
    I've been having smoothies lately too and one in particular seems to keep me more full than any of the others I have made:

-1 medium banana
    -1 tbsp creamy peanut butter
    -1 cup chocolate Silk Light
    -2 oz raw kale (I make green smoothies-you can't taste the kale but you get the benefit of it's vitamins. If you don't like the texture, try spinach or nix the greens altogether)

I usually eat a small snack (piece of fruit or ounce of nuts) a few hours after breakfast. When I make this one I'm not hungry again until lunch. With the specific brands I use for the ingredients it is 320 calories, and completely divine.