Do you think people are lacking 'class'?

Options

Replies

• omgitsgarry
    Options
    There have always been jerks in society, but I think it has to do with children are being raised by adults who never wanted to grow up, so they are children themselves. Also, reality TV is so acceptable at such a young age, kids think it is okay to act trashy or be a jerk to get ahead in life, because they see the cast of Jersey Shore or even the cast of Survivor doing it to get ahead.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    People have always been like this. It's just the fact that there are a lot more people now, so you have more opportunities to see it.

Do you really think the flappers in the Roaring 20's were all about class, dignity, and respect? Oh, and the Old West, they were real classy thieves and murderers.

People haven't changed, we're just a lot closer together and have access to more people than we used to.

Kinda like how everyone is paranoid about violent crimes because of all the stuff we see on the news on TV and think things are so much worse than they were back in the idealized 50's. There's actually less violent crime now than there was in the 1950's according to statistics, but back then, you don't know about these crimes unless they happened in your local community.

I think you're absolutely right. People like to talk about how we're more violent as well, but to use your analogy again, in the Old West, they settled arguments with guns, not courtrooms. In the past, the community used to turn out, with their children, to watch people hang or get beheaded. We're just a smaller world, in a manner of speaking, thanks to the power of television and the internet.
  • zenchild
    zenchild Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    This reminds me of what happened when I went to Petco last weekend. We were early for dinner and decided to look at the fish until the restaurant opened. This girl/young woman (not a day over 19 or 20) came down the aisle and started yelling across the store to her boyfriend about "f---ing b---- wouldn't get out of my way!" And continued to loudly complain about f---ing b---- this and f---ing b---- that. Loudly. And there were children around. She was incredibly rude. And most likely wanted someone to tell her to shut up and quit acting like a spoiled brat. She was trashy, self-important, self-entitled. It was obvious that she was doing it for attention. It didn't work. I don't think anyone in the store bothered to even look at her, which is exactly the way you should react to a child having a tantrum. Her parents should be ashamed.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    People have DEFINITELY changed. Talk to some older folks who were adults in the '50s and have witnessed the changes firsthand.

And I actually think people were a LOT more aware of what was going on in the world around them back then because they were affected much more acutely by it. These days, as long as McDonald's is still serving cheeseburgers and American Idol is still on TV, nobody knows or cares what is happening. Go on YouTube and watch these videos of COLLEGE STUDENTS who can't tell you who the Vice President of the United States is and tell me people haven't changed.
  • chameleon73
    chameleon73 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Yes. I do. But we will raise our boys to be men. Yes mam and No Sir. Thank you and can I help you with that. They know to give up there seat for an adult. Woman are not called names but cherished and respected. There Dad has the last say and money doesn't grow on trees. They know that a day may come where they have to fight for family and or country. And If it does, they won't do it with pants sagging half way down their behinds. A's and b's are expected. As one day hard work will be. Strict? Old fashioned? Yes.

She just described my kids. :). Honestly, if more people still raised their kids this way, the lack of class you're talking about wouldn't be as prevalent as it is.

I remember when I was nine months pregnant with my little boy. I went to my OBGYN appointment. All the chairs in the waiting room were taken. One lady had her five kids with her, all of them in chairs, saw me looking around to find a place to sit, and did nothing but just stare at me. She never once told her kids to move, and I ended up struggling to sit on the floor, struggling to get back up. No one else in the room offered to give up their seat, either (not even the men who were there with their pregnant women). Seriously?

My children are taught to give up their seat for ANY adult, female or male, young or old. Regardless, they OFFER. It all comes down to respect, and as a society (in general) yes, I would agree that we've lost that.

P.S. There's nothing that makes me more proud that when a total stranger compliments my children on their manners and politeness. Even my five year old little boy knows (and does) open doors for a lady and says 'Yes ma'am, No Sir", etc.
  • kennethmgreen
    kennethmgreen Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    I used to think people have changed in a few generations. But I honestly don't think significant changes to society happen in a few decades. Changes just don't happen that fast. I think we have more access, more information, more people, less room, less quiet.

I believe we have more disposable time, people working from home, people simply out of work, people living off investments, trust funds, etc. I think the human brain needs to worry about stuff - our DNA is wired for survival, but most of us (at least in developed countries) don't really have to worry about survival any more. None of my friends are getting chased by wooly mammoths. So we fret and we worry and we obsess. And we complain. It's easier and more satisfying (quicker) to talk about how civility is lost than to focus on being civil myself. I'm not saying those ideas are mutually exclusive. But I have to realize that the energy I spend talking about the moral/civil/class decay of society doesn't really address the problem.

I think that whatever perceived societal changes we are talking about in this thread are actually pretty small compared to the talking about, complaining about, writing about, and analysis of those changes.
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    People have always been like this. It's just the fact that there are a lot more people now, so you have more opportunities to see it.

Do you really think the flappers in the Roaring 20's were all about class, dignity, and respect? Oh, and the Old West, they were real classy thieves and murderers.

People haven't changed, we're just a lot closer together and have access to more people than we used to.

Kinda like how everyone is paranoid about violent crimes because of all the stuff we see on the news on TV and think things are so much worse than they were back in the idealized 50's. There's actually less violent crime now than there was in the 1950's according to statistics, but back then, you don't know about these crimes unless they happened in your local community.

Smartest thing I've read here.
  • kapeluza
    kapeluza Posts: 3,434 Member
    Options
    Yes. Some people have the social graces of a goat.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,791 Member
    Options
    I've noticed a lot more lately--say within the past few years that people are more hostile, angrier, and feel incredibly entitled. Not saying everyone, for when I see great stories such as the plane landing on the Hudson a few years back, it gives me hope that people still have humanity.
    Now-a-days you look at someone next to you in the other lane while driving and you get the bird. Even to watch a hockey game (my son plays hockey) one can hear others in the stands throwing the F-bomb around. and yes, there are children present..
    When I was growing up I can remember being in the lobby at the rink during the hockey period and there were some young men saying F this, F that while chatting in our midst. My Dad went up to them and said 'Do not talk like that in the presence of women"....I'll never forget that moment. He grew up in an era where a man's handshake was as good as signing your name on the dotted line, where people had character and integrity, where people took care of their own business and didn't get into someone else's uninvited.

So in a nutshell, do you think class is diminshing in our time, and do you think technology plays a big part in it?

I do find it a little sad. I still open doors for women. Watch my language around women. Still call men sir and women ma'am. My word is my bond. It's how I was raised.

When my daughters were still at home and dating, boys came to the house and met me and their mom, before going out.

A couple months ago, my oldest's daughter's boyfriend (She's 30) called me to say he wanted my blessing to ask Nikki to marry him. He wasn't asking permission, but he was showing respect. I appreciated it. Showed character.

Don't get me wrong. I believe in equality of the sexes, but I am always going to treat the women in my life as if they are special and deserve it, because they do. And the men in their lives are going to do the same.
  • RDalton84
    Options
    It's because these days children are all taught in school that they're entitled to get what they want. They're not allowed to fail, they're not allowed to excel, they aren't taught manners, and they aren't punished when they're obnoxious or disrespectful to others.

This!
  • treetop57
    treetop57 Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    People have been whining about how awful the younger generation is since at least Roman times.

In many ways, society today is a lot better than the 50s that people remember through the gauzy golden haze of nostalgia. But for anybody but middle- and upper-class straight white men, things have definitely gotten better in the last half a century.

I recently read "The Better Angels of Our Nature," which examines in detail how much less violent and "civilized" our society is today than at any time in history: less war, less interpersonal violence, less violence against children and animals. If we have to lose some snob's idea of "class" to make a fairer and less violent society, so be it.

"Better Angel's of Our Nature: Why Violence has Declined," by Steven Pinker.

http://www.amazon.com/Better-Angels-Our-Nature-Violence/dp/0670022950/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1329496361&sr=1-1

From a review:
    The final trend Pinker discusses is the “rights revolution,” the revulsion against violence inflicted on ethnic minorities, women, children, homosexuals and animals that has developed over the past half-century. Pinker is not, of course, arguing that these movements have achieved their goals, but he reminds us how far we have come in a relatively short time from the days when lynchings were commonplace in the South; domestic violence was tolerated to such a degree that a 1950s ad could show a husband with his wife over his knees, spanking her for failing to buy the right brand of coffee. . . .

"http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/09/books/review/the-better-angels-of-our-nature-by-steven-pinker-book-review.html?pagewanted=all"
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    The original question was not about violence or general standard of living, so I'm not sure why people keep bringing that up.

I'm also failry certain that the OP was not using the word "class" in a socio-economic context, i.e. upper, middle, lower, etc.. She was asking why being rude to each other seems to be acceptable in today's society (the words "hostile" and "angry" being used to describe those who flip people off while sitting in traffic or cursing in front of little kids at hockey games). So "class," in that sense, refers to a person's standard of behavior with regard to how he or she treats other people, not to that person's standing within society.

And here's where it blows my mind that anyone thinks "people haven't changed." Things that used to be considered completely unacceptable at all but the absolute lowest levels of society (like men cursing in front of women and kids or people wearing pajamas to the grocery store) are now commonplace at all levels of society. People HAVE changed. Nobody has any respect for anyone anymore. And as much as people rationalize their behavior under a banner of "Live, and let live," it's all a load of garbage. When a dad can't take his son or daughter to a baseball game without having to request that some inconsiderate moron behind him watch his language, it's gone way beyond minding your own business.

Civilized society requires that you take other people into consideration when you are anywhere but alone in your own home. There is nothing "civilized" about going out and mixing with other people with the attitude that you can do absolutely whatever you want and that everyone else should just leave you alone. That is the OPPOSITE of civilization. See Kant's Categorial Imperative.
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    The original question was not about violence or general standard of living, so I'm not sure why people keep bringing that up.

I'm also failry certain that the OP was not using the word "class" in a socio-economic context, i.e. upper, middle, lower, etc.. She was asking why being rude to each other seems to be acceptable in today's society (the words "hostile" and "angry" being used to describe those who flip people off while sitting in traffic or cursing in front of little kids at hockey games). So "class," in that sense, refers to a person's standard of behavior with regard to how he or she treats other people, not to that person's standing within society.

And here's where it blows my mind that anyone thinks "people haven't changed." Things that used to be considered completely unacceptable at all but the absolute lowest levels of society (like men cursing in front of women and kids or people wearing pajamas to the grocery store) are now commonplace at all levels of society. People HAVE changed. Nobody has any respect for anyone anymore. And as much as people rationalize their behavior under a banner of "Live, and let live," it's all a load of garbage. When a dad can't take his son or daughter to a baseball game without having to request that some inconsiderate moron behind him watch his language, it's gone way beyond minding your own business.

Civilized society requires that you take other people into consideration when you are anywhere but alone in your own home. There is nothing "civilized" about going out and mixing with other people with the attitude that you can do absolutely whatever you want and that everyone else should just leave you alone. That is the OPPOSITE of civilization. See Kant's Categorial Imperative.

You completely leave out the reality of the situation. Maybe in the "good old days" (no such thing) men tipped their hats to a lady on the street. But they also had no qualms against organizing a neighborhood lynching should a black family try to move in. Maybe the idea of the old fashioned Donna Reed style housewife appeals to you. Well the reality is an awful lot of those housewives would catch a smack if dinner wasn't ready on time and there wasn't a thing they could do about it.

You said earlier to ask someone who lived in the 50's how much better things were. I agree. But don't limit yourself to asking middle class white males. Ask a black woman how great the 50's were. Or a gay man. I'm sure they'll have loads of stories about how much "class" people had.

Maybe it's true that today people are quicker to throw someone else the finger. Maybe it's because they're not as afraid to express themselves. Regardless someone saying a naughty word can't compare to the constant examples of prejudice and brutality that were commonplace in our not-so-distant past.

Society has improved by leaps and bounds. You just have to take more people into consideration now, as before it was only a select few with power and control.
  • Cberg9
    Cberg9 Posts: 123
    Options
    This may not be popular but I believe much can be attributed to the "special snowflake" attitude that has become the norm in child upbringing over the last 20-25 years.
    The idea of participation trophies and not keeping score in games so that everyone is a winner.
    I get trying to establish self esteem but I think that has to come from self respect not an artificial atmosphere that is not the reality of life where there are winners and losers,successes and failures.

The whole thing has led IMO to people that can`t understand or cope with the fact that sometimes things go wrong or not as we wish them to.
    Now the expectation is that whatever has happened must be made right by someone instantly because that is what is owed.
    When that doesn`t happen the reaction is anger,impatience and a need to lash out.

I completely agree with this ^^ and this was the era I was raised in, however, my parents did not raise me this way and my son will not by brought up that way.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    I think there are many issues from society that have contributed to this. Adults not punishing or disciplining their kids out of fear they will go to jail. A steady rise in people getting free food, free housing, free educations. People are catching on to the concept that they no longer have to earn things- there is the sense of entitlement. As far as kids growing up disrespectful, media has convinced us that there is an excuse for every behavior. This week a kid in a local high school choked and attacked an elderly teacher, the majority of the news comments were that "he had too much stress or he should get counseling because he is a damaged kid or he was targeted because of his race. The few that suggesting the kid just needed to learn some respect were bashed.

When I was a kid, I had to do chores, make dinner, clean up dinner, set the table, sweep and did tons of yardwork. I have a half sister who is 9 years younger and my parents will make her a drink before making her get up and get one herself. Not to mention it was the norm for me to get clothes for school and holidays, not a monthly shopping trip. :explode:
  • Mom0fTwo
    Mom0fTwo Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Yes. I do. But we will raise our boys to be men. Yes mam and No Sir. Thank you and can I help you with that. They know to give up there seat for an adult. Woman are not called names but cherished and respected. There Dad has the last say and money doesn't grow on trees. They know that a day may come where they have to fight for family and or country. And If it does, they won't do it with pants sagging half way down their behinds. A's and b's are expected. As one day hard work will be. Strict? Old fashioned? Yes.

Amen!!!!
  • karmakim
    Options
    Entitlement.
  • nmerley
    nmerley Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I couldnt help but sit here and chuckle. My family went out last evening and I had 3diff people come up to me and state that my 3yr old boy was way to polite. My reply was what do u want him to do run around the returant and say naughty words instead of sitting here quietly using his manners. They walked away. WTF??? We r raising him to use manners, be respectful, polite, and do whats right and I get ?ed about it. Yes my son is over polite but I would rather have that then some of the kids out there.
    Alot plays into how we r as a socity now adays. There is our up bringing, media, friends, ect. In a whole it can b resolved if more people cared.
  • outtanms
    outtanms Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I am a "baby boomer." Think of this: nearly 450,000 people attended the Woodstock Festival in 1968. Traffic was backed up for days to get to the festival. There werent enough port-o-johns and lines to them were long. There were water and food shortages. Yet, No one was killed, there were no injuries as the result of fighting among attendees. There were no weapons found among attendees. This would not happen today. I am not saying this was a "better" generation or a more civil one-- but I don't think that a gathering of these many people could happen now without brawling, hard drugs, and murder.

It seems as if as a society "we" do not have a collective sense of what "civil" behavior is; and it cuts across all socio-economic classes, ages, gender, and races. Where ever there are public "gatherings" (including "electronic" gatherings) there is a lack of mutual respect, or sense of "common good."

^^^^^They were all stoned @ Woodstock. No one was in a hurry, no one cared....We will get there when we get there. Awh..The good ol' days.
  • 1996gtstang
    1996gtstang Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    there is no doubt it has been in a downward spiral decade by decade