Need healthier garlic bread ideas

Options
laurenkoszola
laurenkoszola Posts: 101 Member
I am going to be making a healthier lasagna this week coming up and would like to know if you have any healthier suggestion on what type of garlic bread I could make with it? I usually make it myself, but if I have to resort to the texas toast lite version I will.

And....GO!

P.S. Thank you in advance!!

Replies

• laurenkoszola
    laurenkoszola Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    * Correction I usually make a fatter version!!
  • fit921
    fit921 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    How about no garlic bread since there are enough carbs in the lasagna? Have a nice sald on the side.
  • shovav91
    shovav91 Posts: 2,335 Member
    Options
    I take an english muffin, spray a few sprays of "I can't believe it's not butter", and put it in the toaster. Yum!
  • h0t_m0m
    h0t_m0m Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I would say no to the bread since you have noodles in the lasagna. Try sauteed green beans with garlic! They are amazing! If you just want bread, I would do a low sugar, low carb bread, ezekial bread or whole wheat english muffin. I made the petite lasagna that was posted in the recipes that is made with 2 wontons for Valentine's Day. I tweaked it a little by adding spinach, using organic roasted garlic sauce and half ground turkey breast/half turkey sausage. On the side we had steamed asparagus and a salad. It was SO good! Good luck with you dinner!
  • jbdowns35
    Options
    I found a multi-grain tuscan bread in the bakery section of my Giant Eagle store. It is SOOOOO delicious!!! I roasted a whole bulb of garlic in my oven & then rubbed it on the toasted bread & drizzled it with olive oil, sprinkled with some parsley. Bread is bread, but if you go with the whole grains, you don't have to feel as guilty. I had mine with spaghetti squash & home made spaghetti sauce instead of pasta. It was practically a gulit free meal & delicious.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I buy a whole grain baguette from the bakery, slice it and top with a paste made of roasted garlic and olive oil, then grill it. Sometimes I'll add finely chopped fresh herbs to the paste.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Buy a bagel. Cut it into about 10 pieces. (cut about 1/2 inch sliced so that you have little rounds) spray with I can't believe it's not butter or brush one side with olive oil. (1/2 tablespoon should be enough for all of them) broil them to desired toastedness. These go fast so watch them! When they are still hot take 1 clove garlic and rub the tops of the toast. Sprinkle with parsley and enjoy!

P.S. try some flavored bagels like onion or tomato for extra tastiness! Make sure you buy this from the bakery section of your grocery store so it's not already sliced in half. (you don't want half pieces!)

Bagel 200-ish cals
    1/2 tablespoon olive oil 60 cals
    Garlic 10 cals
    Makes ten or so garlic toasts.
  • raerox25
    Options
    I use Healthy Life wheat bread with flax seed. Add a little olive oil, spread it out on the bread (use a misto if possible- just pouring it tends to add a lot of calories)- sprinkle garlic powder, paprika, oregano, and a little parmesan and pop it in the toaster oven.
  • htherrien0406
    Options
    I use a large whole wheat pita, brush on some EV olive oil and sprinkle with garlic from the press, bake in oven at 350 till toasted. Makes kid of a chip :smile:
  • jnhu72
    jnhu72 Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I take Village Hearth Light Italian Bread (40 cal a slice) and but Land O Lakes Light Canola Spreadable Butter (50 cal a T.-You just need a very light layer to help the bread brown and the garlic stick) on it and sprinkle it with Garlic Powder and broil in the oven until it starts to brown. If you can't find the Village Hearth bread there are plenty of other light versions of bread, I think Sarah Lee makes bread that's 45 cal a slice.
  • beckys19
    beckys19 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I found a multi-grain tuscan bread in the bakery section of my Giant Eagle store. It is SOOOOO delicious!!! I roasted a whole bulb of garlic in my oven & then rubbed it on the toasted bread & drizzled it with olive oil, sprinkled with some parsley. Bread is bread, but if you go with the whole grains, you don't have to feel as guilty. I had mine with spaghetti squash & home made spaghetti sauce instead of pasta. It was practically a gulit free meal & delicious.
    I second this idea. As long as you're not constantly overdoing it on carbs, don't feel guilty about enjoying a good whole-grain garlic bread with the lasagna. If you want to go easy on the olive oil, get one of those refillable oil sprayers that act like cooking sprays without the propellant. If you don't want to worry about roasting up the garlic, get some garlic granules to sprinkle over.