Need Idea's for Mayo substitude's

Options
fireballaaa
fireballaaa Posts: 76 Member
A substitute for mayo that acually tastes good and good for you any Idea's. Thanks:flowerforyou:

Replies

• mollyjackson82
    Options
    i use yellow mustard instead on sandwiches. when i make tuna salad sandwiches i use low fat mayo (green cap)...that is really low in calories.
  • erikastarryiz
    erikastarryiz Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I use the Fage brand fat free plain greek yogurt in place of mayo in tuna salad or chicken salad. Just add a little pepper or dill (:heart: ) and you will never know the difference. It also works in any recipie that calls for sour cream, like dips or dressings ( i even put a dollop on my veggie chili in place of sour cream). YUMMY!!
  • fit921
    fit921 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    When I make tuna salad for lunch I use greek yogurt. If it's for a sandwich I usually use mustartd with avocado or make your own spread with fat free plain yogurt and different spices. You can also use hummus as a sandwich spread.
  • kairsme
    Options
    Mashed avocado is my fave! Even in artichoke dip: lemon juice, artichoke hearts, mashed avocado, little garlic, heat in oven and voila!
  • armaretta
    armaretta Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    hummus!
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    laughing cow wedges. Swiss or blue cheese flavor makes a very nice egg salad :)
  • kathleen2001
    Options
    reduced fat sour cream
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    I recommend using mayo!

If you are a mayo fan (like me) then budget it and don't skimp on the flavor.

If you're so-so on mayo then listen to these other ideas :wink:
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    Workout 15 minutes longer and have the mayo! There is no substitute.
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    Hellman's light is a wonderful tasting light mayo. Same with Kraft mayo with olive oil. Lot less calories and fat but still mayo taste.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    laughing cow wedges. Swiss or blue cheese flavor makes a very nice egg salad :)

Yummy - Laughing Cow. So many flavors (I'm not so sure about blue cheese though). This is nice & spreadable.

I mix mayo with mustard .... the flavor seems to go farther.
  • GalaxyDuck
    GalaxyDuck Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Not sure why exactly you need a substitute but I thought I'd throw this in!

OLIVE OIL MAYO
    Makes about 1.5 cups

1 large egg
    2 tablespoon lemon juice
    1/4 cup plus 1 cup light-tasting olive oil (or extra light-tasting olive oil - but NOT extra virgin olive oil)
    1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
    1/2 teaspoon salt

Break the egg into your food processor and add lemon juice. Put the top on and allow egg and lemon juice to come to room temperature together, at least 30 minutes and up to 2 hrs.

When the egg and lemon juice are room temp. add the mustard, salt and 1/4 cup of oil. Blend on medium until combined. Incorporate the remaining 1 cup oil by drizzling in very, very slowly. This step should take about 3 minutes. You should see the mixture beginning to emulsify and may hear a change in pitch in your appliance.

When all of the oil is incorporated, transfer the mayo to a container with a lid. Mark the egg expiration date on the container or calendar. That's when your mayo expires, unless you are using free-range omega-3 eggs. Then it may last up to a week past the egg expiration date. Your nose knows!

Variations: Use cider vinegar instead of lemon juice. Add paprika if desired for a little kick.
  • sophieelouu6
    sophieelouu6 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I just use lighter than light light mayo ;D
  • CheleLynn44
    CheleLynn44 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I cannot give up my condiments. We have always used the light versions of Mayo and miracle whip. Yum!!
  • eve7166
    eve7166 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I recommend using mayo!

If you are a mayo fan (like me) then budget it and don't skimp on the flavor.

If you're so-so on mayo then listen to these other ideas :wink:

I agree... I just bought Kraft Olive Oil Mayo and it is amazing taste like the real deal with half the calories... and better for you :)
  • gemiwing
    gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    Cashew butter- just take cashew pieces or halves, soak them overnight (or at least an hour in warm water) and shove em in the food processor till they turn to butter. It's a great way to keep cals up near goals too- but also goes farther than mayo. Deelish!
  • dwtouch4
    Options
    The Hellman's reduced fat mayo is 15 cal/tbsp. It's the one with the green lid. I think it tastes good. After a while I don't miss the regular stuff. That said I only use mayo with things that would be weird to mix with mustard like making tartar sauce or something. Otherwise I use mustard.
  • AmyLRed
    AmyLRed Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    i use roasted red pepper hummus most often, love it!
  • Katamiller69
    Options
    laughing cow light cheese -- it's creamy -- great on a sandwhich. My favorite!
  • LoriBarefoot
    LoriBarefoot Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Duke's Light. I only use half the serving size.